Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wine list for purchase??

Hi- I am a wino. I do like beer and will drink the fruity cocktails while on vacation. I understand that the wine selection is limited but I was wondering if there is better wines to buy? What is the for purchase wine selection like and what are the average prices? Thanks, Kim

I would like to know this also . If someone could help us out would be great .

Randy posted this several years ago- I don't even know which resort it is from (but they may all be the same). I glanced at the list at CTI in October 2012 and I think it was at least similar to this in prices/vintages (ie I remember several Beringer options). The house wine at CTI was drinkable but the options at Eight Rivers were even better-- I wish they had those in all of the restaurants/bars!

Randymon:
    Here is a sample wine menu from Otaheite at CNG. Subject to change based on availability. I apologize for the formatting. Copied from a word document.

Managers Reserve Wine List

Champagne
    Bin # Price Per Bottle

US$

C01 Dom Perignon 288.00
    A classic blend produced from a single vintage its elegance is characterized by full fruit flavors with nuances of toast & yeast

C02 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Yellow Label Brut n/v 116.00
    Rich with almond croissant aromas and flavours, a firm rounded structure, accentuated by an intense, fragrance of fruits.

C03 Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial n/v 105.00
    A complex palate with great depth, a high concentration of candied fruit, ginger bread and vanilla flavours.

Sparkling Wines
    Bin # Price Per Bottle
    US$

C06 Domaine Carneros Brut By Taittinger / California 57.00
    A superb, elegantly handcrafted sparkling wine showing subtle ripe tropical and white fruit richness and elegant depth.

C07 Bouvet Rose Excellence / France 50.00
    Brilliant coral sparkling rosé is dry, crisp, aromatic with ripe succulent red berry flavors & refined herbal nuances

C08 Freixenet Carta Nevada / Spain 28.00 Fullness of taste with ripe peach, apricot fruit, vanilla flavors, yeast, a big round softness in the mouth and a creamy finish.

Prices quoted in US$ and include all relevant wine import duties, government taxes and house service charge.

Chairman’s Selections

Bin # Price Per Bottle
    US$

W01 Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc / Marlborough, New Zealand 61.00
    Intense gooseberry, capsicum characters, lingering soft flavours with an abundance of richness, uplifted by fresh acidity and an impressive long finish.

R01 Louis Jadot Gevrey Chambertin / Burgundy, France 99 .00
    Aromatic flavors of ripe black cherry, firm tannic structure allied to silky, elegant fruit with nuances of sweet oak and spice ending in a full finish.

R03 Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz / South Australia 66.00
    Refined, taut showing dark black conserve fruit flavours, plum notes to the fore, further liqueur chocolate, spice flavours impregnated by overt, chewy ripe tannins.

R04 Cakebread Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon / Napa Valley, California 154.00
    Lush, focused with elegant black cherry, plum, cassis offset by notes of chocolate, herbs, cedar, supple texture of balanced fruit and tannin confirmed on the finish.

Prices quoted in US$ and include all relevant wine import duties, government taxes and house service charge. Vintages are subject to availability.

Off Dry, Light Bodied, Fruity, Blush & Whites
    Bin # Price Per Bottle
    US$

W03 Beringer White Zinfandel / California 28.00
    Fresh red berry, citrus, melon aromas rounded with subtle hints of nutmeg and clove.

W04 Wente Vineyards Riesling / Monterrey, California 33.00
    Fragrant varietal nose of white fruits, subtle vanilla, toasty nuances highlighting pear and apple fruit flavors.

W05 Trivento Dulce Natural / Mendoza, Argentina 28.00
    Aromas with a mix of violets, freesia, jasmine, citric fruits, & apricot

W06 Antinori Orvieto Classico Casasole / Orvieto Italy 35.00
    Fresh, crisp, fruity with ripe melon, pear, apple flavours and a subtly sweetish finish.

Dry, Light To Medium Bodied & Fruity Whites

W08 Beringer Sauvignon Blanc / Napa Valley, California 50.00
    Grapefruit, guava, melon aromas lead into citrus, melon flavors, slight grassy back note, hint of honey.

W09 Michelle Redde Sancerre Les Tuilieres / Loire, France 57.00
    Aromatic herb, spice fragrances confirmed on the palate with bracing crisp white fruit flavors.

W10 Bollini Pinot Grigio / Trentino, Italy 33.00
    Fresh and delicate, this wine shows clean stone fruit, apple flavors and aromas.

W11 Fernando Pighin Pinot Grigio / Friuli, Italy 44.00
    Peachy stone fruit flavors mark this delicately expressive wine which shows classic floral and hazelnut nuances.

Prices quoted in US$ and include all relevant wine import duties, government taxes and house service charge. Vintages are subject to availability.

Dry, Medium To Full Bodied & Oak Aged Whites
    Bin # Price Per Bottle
    US$

W12 Penfolds Thomas Hyland Chardonnay / South Australia 50.00
    Complex and characterful with fresh aromas of apple, lemon curd, yellow peach to the fore of a lively nose.

W13 Trivento Reserve Chardonnay / Mendoza, Argentina 28.00
    Fresh, velvety, expressive mixture of apple, banana flavours with hints of vanilla and a delicate aftertaste.

W14 Beringer Chardonnay / Napa Valley California 55.00
    Pure fruit character, crispness, lemon zest, green apple, spice aromas lead into mouth.

W15 Chateau St. Jean Chardonnay / Sonoma County, California 50.00
    Refreshing, balanced, with vibrant acidity, pleasing flavors of pear, honeysuckle roasted almonds, and a touch of toasty vanilla.

W16 Kendall Jackson Vintners Reserve Chardonnay / California 46.00
    Richly layered, balanced with tropical flavors such as mango, pineapple dancing with aromas of peach, apple & pear

W17 Robert Mondavi Private Selection Chardonnay / California 51.00
    Aromas and flavors of creamy pear, green apple, melon, citrus fruit, mingled with notes of subtle toast, supple discreet oak structure.

W18 Louis Latour Grand Ardeche Chardonnay / Burgundy, France 3700
    Fresh, brilliant pale gold showing delicate varietal aromas, flavours of apple, melon offset by citrus notes and a crisp acidic balance ending in a clean, lively finish.

W19 J Moreau & Fils Pouilly Fuisse / Burgundy, France 55.00
    Ripe, supple, medium bodied with vibrant fruit flavours, notes of melon, minerals gently touched with oak and ending in a fresh, silky, finish.

Prices quoted in US$ and includes all relevant wine import duties, government taxes and house service charge. Vintages supplied by your server and are subject to availability.

Dry, Light To Medium Bodied & Fruity Reds

Bin # Price Per Bottle
    US$

R06 Villa Trasqua Chianti Classico Riserva / Tuscany, Italy 50.00
    Crisp, ripe red berry, cherry fruit flavours, aromas sustained by notes of earth, mushrooms, leather and an elegant tannic backbone.

R07 Domaine La Milliere Cotes du Rhone / Rhone Valley, France 53.00
    Spices, crushed wild strawberries, dark chocolate, pink peppercorns melt into pools of lush, dense red fruits on the sultry palate.

Dry, Medium To Full Bodied Reds

R09 Firesteed Pinot Noir / Willamette Valley, Oregon 55.00
    Vibrantly aromatic, infused with generous aromas of warm berry preserves, strawberry shortcake, layers of vanilla.

R12 Chateau Mont Redon Chateauneuf du Pape \ France 77.00
    Robust flavors of dark cherry, crushed red berries, pepper with notes of chocolate, citrus peel on the nose.

R13 Undurraga Reserva Merlot / Maipo Valley, Chile 33.00
    Bright, juicy crushed red fruit flavors of raspberry, cherry followed by a suggestion of earth & oak

Prices quoted in US$ and includes all relevant wine import duties, government taxes and house service charge. Vintages are subject to availability.

Bin # Price Per Bottle
    US$

R15 Beringer Merlot / Napa Valley, California 48.00
    Black cherry, plum, smoky roasted coffee aromas followed by fruit forward flavors of black cherry, plum hints of cocoa, allspice and pepper mingle with concentrated berry flavors, ripe tannins leading into a long, extracted finish.

R16 Christian Moueix Merlot / Bordeaux, France 39.00
    Produced by the owner of Pomerol’s Chateau Petrus, its sweet, supple berry, wild berry fruit carry into nuances of herbs, vanilla underscored by a fresh, elegant acidity and ripe, soft tannins.

R17 Chateau Souverain Zinfandel / Dry Creek Valley, California 55.00
    Rich aromas of boysenberry, blueberry, wild blackberry, touch of white pepper, fresh berry cobbler featuring back notes of cinnamon, nutmeg spice on the palate and resolved tannins take follow through to a succulent and long finish.

R18 Golden Kaan Shiraz / South Africa 44.00
    Concentrated with ripe, refined berries, dark stone fruit flavors, woodsy aromas of truffles and earth in a focused yet supple tannic structure which ends in a long, delicate finish.

R19 Penfolds Thomas Hyland Shiraz / South Australia 51.00
    Lifted, aromatic with varietal spices, excellent fruit quality, balance, and tannin ripeness ensuring an instantly appealing, alluring, generous finish.

Prices quoted in US$ and includes all relevant wine import duties, government taxes and house service charge. Vintages are subject to availability.

Bin # Price Per Bottle
    US$

R20 Rosemount Diamond Label Shiraz / South East Australia 44.00
    Complex layers of fleshy concentrated dark fruit, spice notes, background oak flavours, great length, extending to a lovely soft finish.

R21 Penfolds Koonunga Hills Shiraz Cabernet / South Australia 44.00
    Balanced, aromatic with lifted floral aromas, notes of blackberry, dark cherry with red fruit, freshly cut plums, toasted charry vanillin characters with hints of coffee, mocha, chocolate and talc like tannins on the finish.

R22 Jean Pierre Moueix St Emillion / Bordeaux, France 50.00
    Fresh, plummy stone fruit and black berry flavors carry into notes of herbs, earth, restrained oak on the bright, balanced palate which is supported by firm acidity and ripe tannins.

R23 Bonfante & Chiarle Barolo / Normale, Italy 77.00
    Ripe, silky black cherry, red currant flavours, aromas of violets, spices, licorice, hints of tar set in a structure of high toned acidity and refined, polished tannins.

Bin # Price Per Bottle
    US$

R25 Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon / South Australia 50.00 Fresh, varietal, leafy characters with subtle integrated oak flavours, aromas of plums and berries finishing with fine, smooth, chalky tannins.

R26 Chateau Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon / Alexander Valley, California 61.00
    Round, balanced, with aromatics of black cherry, plum, layered subtle nuances of vanilla, fresh roast coffee, brown spices and soft fine-grained, supple tannins that
    contribute to a long toasty oak finish.

R27 Robert Mondavi Private Selection Cabernet Sauvignon / California 50.00
    Sweet black cherry, dark berry fruit characters, supported by velvety tannins, well- integrated oak, excellent depth, richness and length on the palate.

R28 Kendall Jackson Cabernet Sauvignon / California 55.00
    Deep black cherry, blackberry, cassis flavors, intense, round well structured tannins, cedar and vanilla notes linger on the finish.

We just returned from CSA. We only saw a winelist at Feathers and Lemon Grass and only purchased a bottle at Feathers. It was a 2009 vintage Chateauneuf du Pape and was $50 on the manager's specials list. I can't be specific as I don't recall and am more familiar with Italian and California wines, but it complimented our steak wonderfully. It seemed to me that US vineyards were the least attractive price wise (I expect it has to do with tax structure). The house wine was certainly drinkable table wine and I was offered a choice whenever I asked for a white (I prefer a dry white and one was generally available, as was a chardonnay). You can also request red, white, or sparkling (or all three) for your room (house brand).

We did make our way down to the grocery in town and noted a wide selection of wines - if push comes to shove, you can always take a taxi ride and stock up!

Thanks for the info . I think I will be looking to buy some off resort when I get there . Not that the choices are bad for the white wines but the prices would definitely run into alot of money over a week . Plus I want some good wine in my room not just house wine . Good to know these things ahead of time. We're staying at CSS so hopefully it's not to expensive to go in town . Off to check that out some more .

thanks for the info. Very helpful!

I'm a wino also and (don't judge me LOL!!) if I was choosing the gratis bottle or something on the lower end, I added a splash of pineapple juice. I had/have no intention of spending premium money of run of the mill bottles.

One suggestion I heard from someone was to see if you can stop at duty free in MoBay (is that allowed for incoming tourists?). Prices will likely be much better. As oft mentioned, I will pack a nice bottle or two in my checked luggage (I like a high-end bottle now and again...and again ).

Here's another question I'm staying at CSS is it possiable to go to one of the restaraunts and buy a bottle of wine to take back to your room ? So we can enjoy it on our balcony ?

NSfolks, have you been to CSS yet? And what has your research turned up? We'll be at CSS in mid March and I enjoy good wine so I'll be packing a couple bottles in the suitcase if it's not too heavy!

MaryInCO you will be there before me , we don't go until April . So you will have to fill me in when you get back home. I'm definitely going to be packing some with me . At 30.00+ a bottle I could spend alot of money in a few days . Plus I will have some we really like .

Is there anywhere in Negril to buy quality wine? I recognize many of those wines on the list and are more than double the cost compared to here at home.

Does anyone know the brand and region of the red house Merlots and or cab sauvs?

I thought I remember in April at CSA the wine list for purchase in the in-room-binder a little different....but I could be wrong. Maybe someone could take a picture and post it?

I do think the prices of wine, as you stated around double of cost, is comparable to most hotels and resorts (and a lot of restaurants). In 2012 I met someone on the One Love Bar Crawl that was a wine distributor, to many resorts and retailers in Jamaica. He said the problem with finding good wine, and prices, is the cost to ship and get into the country.

One option could be to bring your own from home. Pack it in your (check-in) suitcases. I have done this when we go on cruises. Lots of info how to do this if you google.

Generally everything in Jamaica is more expensive than at home since its an island and everything has to be imported. You can take some bottles in your checked bag - I think it is 2 per person. Also they recently opened a small duty free shop at the airport that can be accessed by arriving passengers but I have not been since it opened so I don't know if they have wine or just booze.

Amy

I'm not 100 percent positive as I'm not a wine expert but will enjoy a glass once in a while back I thought someone said the house wines were Chilean.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    One suggestion I heard from someone was to see if you can stop at duty free in MoBay (is that allowed for incoming tourists?). Prices will likely be much better. As oft mentioned, I will pack a nice bottle or two in my checked luggage (I like a high-end bottle now and again...and again ).
    There is a liquor store as you leave immigration. Alternately, if you are taking private transport to your resort, you could always make a stop. If you are in negril, a taxi ride to the hi-lo is inexpensive, but for the life of me I cannot remember what their selection is like. I don't often drink wine in JA... And as I type that, I realized I drink almost no wine when it's hot in the states either... Wonder if Jamaica has changed my habits...

interesting discussion, i must assume there are house wines that are part of the AI package? My wife is a wine drinker and if it is not included, a trip to town will definately be in order.

is there a HiLo (or similar) near CSS?

Quote Originally Posted by socal View Post
    I'm a wino also and (don't judge me LOL!!) if I was choosing the gratis bottle or something on the lower end, I added a splash of pineapple juice. I had/have no intention of spending premium money of run of the mill bottles.
    Great idea, socal! I'm NOT a wino, but a lover of Beringer White Zin. At $28 per bottle, it's not going to be on my every day "drink list." I just did my check-in on line, and ordered pineapple juice for the mini bar!

Went to CSA in 2012 and was unimpressed with the wine list. Very very average american reds at 4-5 times the price. I understand there is a transportation issue but the price for the quality wasnt justifiable for me. I am a Wine Snob and that was my only issue with the resort. There are 2 couples that are heading back in 2014 and we will be bringing 6-12 of our own bottles to enjoy on the balcony. I doubt they will allow it in the restaurants and that is fine with us.
    Scott & Becca
    Houston
    Caffreys Photography

I bring my own to the Couples restaurants. Not only is it no problem, the wait staff seem interested in what we bring.

I bring my own to the Couples restaurants. Not only is it no problem, the wait staff seem interested in what we bring.
    That news that I LIKE to hear! Thanks for sharing Bert. Do they open it for you or should you do it yourself before going?
    Scott & Becca
    Houston
    Caffreys Photography

Okay - so any tips on packing wine? A busted bottle would be a bit of a disaster and a waste of good wine!

That's good news!

Does anyone know what red wines the duty free in Montego Bay carries and the pricing?

I'm also wondering what the house red is at Couples Negril. I like Chilean so even if it's something cheap like Frontera I'm ok with that.

You can buy wine "diapers" ziplock type seal pouches that hold a single bottle and are literally lined with diaper material to cushion and worse case scenario absorb the wine should be bottle break. Bought a few for my Dad a couple of years ago and he has never had a break with one.

Amy

awesome, thanks, found them on Amazon. Who knew! ( I was thinking I'd try the vacuum sealer bag, but if it did break, it would probably puncture the bag and would be ultimately ineffective). This looks like a good option!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast