Hybrid View

Default Sand Flea cure!!

I found a product called "Cactus Juice Sun & Skin Outdoor Protectant with SPF 20" on amazon.com that has amazing reviews for warding off mosquitoes and SAND FLEAS!! (Which I dread getting bit by when I go). Just sharing this product with you guys since I've seen the B vitamin and deet thread!!

Beachbum -
    When are you going? I would love to hear from you when you return. Let us know if it works!!
    I'm desperate to try anything to repel those horrible sand fleas. Hate them!
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

Let me know how it works! We just got back from CN on Friday the 25th and they ate me alive this year. I had to leave the Thursday night buffet on the beach since I got bite up so much. Everyone else in my group were not bothered by them though. It must be something in my blood that they like.

Ashley & Terry

Default I used an Avon product

In 2011, I was bitten by sand fleas so badly I had to get shots from the doctor at the resort. They are SO attracted to me - must be my sweet disposition - NOT!!

So, for 2012, I found a product from Avon - SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray - that I used in December at CN. I was very impressed with it. Not a bad smell, plus it seemed to really work. It didn't dry out my skin, either. I was very diligent in re-applying after going in the ocean and before heading out for the evening, and I only came back with a dozen or so bites after 12 days. At least two other people in our beach area had to go get shots, so I was really impressed. I see on Avon's website that it's available in towelettes now. I'd recommend this product, and will def use it again.

Beergirl
    Beergirl

www.kenandbrenda.shutterfly.com for my Couples videos

Beachbum-
    How common are sand fleas in Jamaica? We leave on the 8th of February. By the way, I ordered this product because of your post. Thanks

Sand fleas will come out mainly in the evening on most beaches on Jamaica and other Caribbean islands. People are affected in all different ways and have varied approaches to them. I am not allergic to them and rarely get bit but others have a very hard time. During the beach party in the evening sand I use insect repellant with Deet on my legs and rinse off my feet and legs at the outside stations before returning to my room. Avoid sweet smelling lotions or perfumes on or near your legs. Some ways of dealing with bites after they get you that I have heard of are to take Benadryl, use aloe on the bite (in your sunburn gel), hydrocortisone creams, apply alcohol like vodka (in your room already) or mouthwash with a cotton ball. I also read that eating bananas makes you more attractive to insects. Not sure of this as I have bananas in several drinks each day. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by somelikeithot View Post
    Beachbum-
    How common are sand fleas in Jamaica? We leave on the 8th of February. By the way, I ordered this product because of your post. Thanks

Hi Jan & softiee26! We are going July 6-15.. I'll be bringing the Cactus juice with me so I'll report back! I'll probably bring a backup of Deet as well, but Deet scares me because of all the chemicals in it... the cactus juice is more natural and I heard it smells great (i'll report back on that as well)
    Beergirl--that is horrible!!! I live in upstate NY and I swear some people just have sweeter blood lol because I get eaten alive whereas my fiance thinks I'm making it up because he won't get bit once!! I've read on pinterest you can rub a bar of soap over a mosquito bite though and it will stop the itch!!

As for all of you---you can see the sand flea's right??? They look huge to me when I look them up, and I've heard their really crustaceans (sp??)...so you would think you could see them on you (?)...ahhh

Beachbum - You can't see them, which is part of the problem. It's possible that you won't even feel them until hours after they bite, unlike a mosquito. It really helps to stay off the beach from 4:00 PM - 9:00 AM. I was badly bitten during an early morning walk at CN on our last day there and didn't even feel the bites until we were on the plane. The Shipwreck party at CSA was my downfall during the last trip. I haven't heard of a repellant that works, so am looking forward to hearing from you.
    We will be at CSA in 52 days, so I'll let you know if my strategy works once again!
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

somelikeithot--That's awesome I ordered mine but I don't go til July! you'll have to let me know how it worked for you, since you'll be visiting before me:-)

My wife and I use Avon Skin-So-Soft, the original formula.... not the one billed as a bug repellant. We don;t like putting poison all over ourselves and have had really good luck with the SSS from Avon. I know a lot of people who say it works for them and I know several people who say it doesn't work for them at all. Go figure...