Default Need advice on choosing resort

I know that this has been asked before, and I have read through some prior threads, but I'm still hoping for an additional information that the experts here can provide.

My husband and I are looking to book a trip for our 10-year anniversary this June. We've actually been together since college and are now in our 40s, no kids. Although enjoy doing activities and would be interest in things like boat tours, snorkeling, and the Dunn's River Falls excursion, etc. We also want to have something to do at night, but at the same time, we'd be turned off by Carnival Cruise-style partying. (We have been on several cruises, on Celebrity and Holland America.)

I was thinking that either Tower Isle or Sans Souci might be better for us, as they seem to be the smaller, more intimate resorts. It seems that some prefer the Negril beaches; while we would certainly go to the beach, and I'd want the beach to be nice, I don't expect that we will just be lying on the beach every day, either, so this isn't necessarily our main priority.

What do you all think? Let me know if you need any more info from me. (Oh, I as at Jamaica once before on a cruise stop when I was about 12; my husband has never been there.)

Here are some quick differences among the four:

CTI (Ocho Rios)- Completely private beach, yet small; Completely separate island (Tower Island) for AN sunbathing. Island open from 9a-5p pending good weather. Access via small boat that runs all day. AN sunbathers cannot be seen from the main beach. Textiled guests cannot access the island. No beach on island, just rocks. 6 restaurants (Bayside, 8 Rivers, Verandah, Patio, Pool Grill, Veggie Bar) including one that sits on the water; the most inclusions (Dunn's River, catamaran cruise). Only 3 buildings with rooms so the resort is very compact and intimate. Everything revolves around a central location. Recently underwent a $30 million renovation - new rooms, new decor, new pools, etc. Swim-up pool bar. Also includes room service from 7:30am - 9:30pm. All rooms have mini bars.

CSS (Ocho Rios) - the newest to the Couples resort, but not the newest built. It used to be a Grand Lido then Couples bought it. Also has a completely private beach. Completely separate beach for AN sunbathing - Sunset Beach, which opens up to textiled guests at 5pm for the sunset.. Resort is very spread out vertically and built on cliffs. It's split into 3 different levels, lots of steps throughout. Lots of foliage and hidden spots. Does not offer a catamaran cruise. Only 3 restaurants (Palazzina, Casanova, beach grill) but room service 6:00am - 11:00pm. All rooms are suites with mini bars. Rooms are more hotel like as far as the decor.

CN (Negril)- Sits in Bloody Bay which it shares with 3 other resorts and public beach access. Separate section of main beach used for nude sunbathing, separated by a hedgeline. Individual buildings throughout the resort for the rooms. All on beach level. Somewhat spread out. Huge main pool with swim-up bar. 3 restaurants (Beach grill/Heliconia, Otaheite, Lychee). Rooms decorated in bright colors. 24 hour room service only in select room categories and it must be ordered a day in advance. All rooms have mini bars.

CSA (Negril)- Sits on 7 mile beach - shallowest water and deepest beach of all 4 because it's the only one not in a Bay. Separate buildings for rooms that are cabana like, dark wood and white linens. Resort is spread out along the beach but all on beach level. Only resort with rooms right on the beach where you can walk off your first floor patio into sand. Night Club. Some room categories do not have televisions. 6 restaurants (Palm, Patois, Lemon Grass, Feathers, Beach Grill, Sea Grape cafe). No nude sunbathing option. Huge sports and fitness complex across the street.

You won't find a crazy party atmosphere at any of the 4 resorts - although at all four, you will find couples who enjoy socializing and having fun, as well as other couples who like to keep to themselves.

Happy to share our pictures and experiences. We've been to all four properties and prefer both CTI and CSA. Headed back in Aprril and May for trip #11. amy.welch@hotmail.com
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Wow! What a great capsule summary of the four resorts. We were married at CSS and have been there 3 total times and to CSA 3 total times. going back to CSA and visiting CTI this year. While CSS will always feel the most romantic (probably our wedding) many will find the amount of stairs a problem. We just love CSA. So relaxing during the day on that amazing beach and fun a night but not crazy. It does have the smallest pools on the main resort though (not counting the lap pool across the street at the sports complex) so if you are a pool person and not a beach one take this into consideration. Other than that CSA is amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Here are some quick differences among the four:

CTI (Ocho Rios)- Completely private beach, yet small; Completely separate island (Tower Island) for AN sunbathing. Island open from 9a-5p pending good weather. Access via small boat that runs all day. AN sunbathers cannot be seen from the main beach. Textiled guests cannot access the island. No beach on island, just rocks. 6 restaurants (Bayside, 8 Rivers, Verandah, Patio, Pool Grill, Veggie Bar) including one that sits on the water; the most inclusions (Dunn's River, catamaran cruise). Only 3 buildings with rooms so the resort is very compact and intimate. Everything revolves around a central location. Recently underwent a $30 million renovation - new rooms, new decor, new pools, etc. Swim-up pool bar. Also includes room service from 7:30am - 9:30pm. All rooms have mini bars.

CSS (Ocho Rios) - the newest to the Couples resort, but not the newest built. It used to be a Grand Lido then Couples bought it. Also has a completely private beach. Completely separate beach for AN sunbathing - Sunset Beach, which opens up to textiled guests at 5pm for the sunset.. Resort is very spread out vertically and built on cliffs. It's split into 3 different levels, lots of steps throughout. Lots of foliage and hidden spots. Does not offer a catamaran cruise. Only 3 restaurants (Palazzina, Casanova, beach grill) but room service 6:00am - 11:00pm. All rooms are suites with mini bars. Rooms are more hotel like as far as the decor.

CN (Negril)- Sits in Bloody Bay which it shares with 3 other resorts and public beach access. Separate section of main beach used for nude sunbathing, separated by a hedgeline. Individual buildings throughout the resort for the rooms. All on beach level. Somewhat spread out. Huge main pool with swim-up bar. 3 restaurants (Beach grill/Heliconia, Otaheite, Lychee). Rooms decorated in bright colors. 24 hour room service only in select room categories and it must be ordered a day in advance. All rooms have mini bars.

CSA (Negril)- Sits on 7 mile beach - shallowest water and deepest beach of all 4 because it's the only one not in a Bay. Separate buildings for rooms that are cabana like, dark wood and white linens. Resort is spread out along the beach but all on beach level. Only resort with rooms right on the beach where you can walk off your first floor patio into sand. Night Club. Some room categories do not have televisions. 6 restaurants (Palm, Patois, Lemon Grass, Feathers, Beach Grill, Sea Grape cafe). No nude sunbathing option. Huge sports and fitness complex across the street.

You won't find a crazy party atmosphere at any of the 4 resorts - although at all four, you will find couples who enjoy socializing and having fun, as well as other couples who like to keep to themselves.

Happy to share our pictures and experiences. We've been to all four properties and prefer both CTI and CSA. Headed back in Aprril and May for trip #11. amy.welch@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    . . . CN (Negril)- Sits in Bloody Bay . . . . 24 hour room service only in select room categories and it must be ordered a day in advance . . . .

CSA (Negril)- Sits on 7 mile beach . . . .
    Both CN and CSA are located on Seven Mile Beach. Seven Mile Beach is comprised of Long Bay, which is approximately five miles in length, and Bloody Bay, which is approximately two miles in length. CN is located on Bloody Bay, while CSA is located on Long Bay.

CN does not have 24-hour room service in any room category. A continental breakfast is available in all room categories, and guests occupying suites can have dinner in their suite. Arrangements for the in-suite dinner must be made a day in advance.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).