Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think it is great, that is how I feel every time I think about going home to Jamaica and when I am there and even for a while after I get home.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you will be a mile away and they will be barefoot!

A German Jamaican??!! Too funny mon!!!!

I just watched it and I love it. It made me smile and miss Jamaica. It reminds me of how happy the Jamaican people always seem to be and it is infectous. We should be more like the Jamaicans, No Worries Be Happy. Can't wait to come home in July.

Jar Jar Binks would be proud that they used him as a character reference!

It makes me "home sick". I see little difference than the many ads using Austrailian accents (like the gecko) or many I've seen with folks using a southern accent. I find it charming and I hope not offensive to any one. I don't feel that was the intent. Just an opinion.

I thought it was funny and made me want to get home to Jamaica even more! I hope it is not perceived as offensive, to either Jamaicans or Minnesotans. I can't wait to hear voices with such an upbeat tenor offering encouraging words and getting back to a state of mind with "no worries".

I think it is partly due to the Jamaican spirit and fortitude that we enjoy visiting the island so much. It is the welcoming nature of Jamaican culture that I think VW was trying to share.

If I had a little Jamaica every day, what a better place my office would be..

The funny part to me (that no one seems to get) is why they go for a ride in the VW.

I loved it! Anyting about Jamaica make me smile :-)

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Add me the long list of those who think the ad is clever, funny, and pro-Jamaica and pro-Jamaicans.

So far, I see only one couple who didnít love it. My wife and I think it is awesome! It shows the true Jamaican spirit that we love so much about the Jamaican people.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Liked the accent and attitude, made me miss Jamaica.

I'm not Jamaican so no opinion as to if its offensive - but has the staff seen it and what do they think?

I loved it!

LOVE IT !!! I have a VW convertible...now I feel like I have another connection to COUPLES!!!

Made me miss "home"I loved it!

I love it! Makes me wish I was in Jamaica right now!

kiki23, you said it so well. I too come back from Jamaica and when I go back to work (I'm a nurse) and my patients ask for something I tend to say YaMon, no problem and also to the physician that gives me orders. He just shakes his head. I say to my co-workers who can't believe that I would want to go back to the same place. More of you should go there. It would give people a differant attitude of happy times and not be so crabby.

Love this! The wife and I can't stop laughing. Proud to be Jamerican!

Love it!! Reminds me of how I talk when I have just returned from Couples Negril!! LOL
    Have a Happy Day!

Love it!

Seattle Times Story:

"The Jamaican government has officially endorsed the ad. Tourism Minister Wykeham McNeill explains why. Not everyone agrees, New York Times columnist Charles Blow compares the ad to blackface, a discredited form of theatre that relied on racial stereotypes."

See the full story at Is VW's Jamaica-themed Super Bowl ad racist or funny? | Ed cetera | The Seattle Times

See the Tourism Minister's comments here: Jamaica embraces controversial Super Bowl ad
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

You'll need a Jamaican carefree attitude to forget about all the troubles you will experience with your vw beetle and try to relax every time you have to bring it into the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    The funny part to me (that no one seems to get) is why they go for a ride in the VW.
    I think everyone gets it. It is the ride in the VW that imbues riders with the happy, carefree attitude, and the attitude is then exemplified by the adoption of the Jamaican accent.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I personally thought it was awesome and it made me smile. I love the movie Cool Runnings and have it on DVD. When I want to feel like I'm in Jamaica, I pop it in.

Cool Runnings..... Peace be the journey.

1993: Cool Runnings Trailer HQ - YouTube

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast