Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default Help Please :) Question about having my Birth Abroad Certificate notarized

    I am starting to freak out just a tad. I took my Birth Abroad Certificate to have it notarized but was told they were unable to do that and I would need to go to the County Clerks office. I read through some old posts on the site and noticed others have had issues but not specifically with Birth Abroad Certificates. Has anyone had any experience with this? And is it possible to just send in the original to Couples? Any help to ease my stressed out mind is greatly appreciate.


    Cheers


    Vanessa

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    198

    Default

    While I'm mystified why you need to send this to Couples, below is where you can go to get an official copy of a Birth Abroad Certificate if you live in the US. Maybe some more details on what you're trying to accomplish here would allow someone to recognize your situation and help out more..

    Replace or Amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

    In the US, many older (prior to the 70's) birth certificates did not have a "raised seal" which is required for passports so a new copy needs to be requested IOT get a passport, even if you have the original from the time of your birth. I'm guessing here, but is your problem similar to this??? If all else fails, contact a travel agent who may know the ropes on what to do in the situation you're trying to deal with.

    S/F
    Scott and June

    P.S. This could be added to the list of reasons to use a good travel agent!!!

  3. #3

    Default

    Having just dealt with a Foreign Birth Abroad Certificate, you can get it notarized wherever there is a Notary Public. My soon to be son-in-law was born in Italy and after a lengthy delay in getting a copy of it from the US State Dept., I was able to get it notarized at my bank. You do have to send originals to Couples (I'm guessing this is for your marriage certificate.)
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usmc7236 View Post
    . . . I'm mystified why you need to send this to Couples. . . .
    Couples who intend to marry at a Couples Resort need to provide the resort with a copy of their birth certificates so that the resort can obtain the marriage license for them.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usmc7236 View Post
    While I'm mystified why you need to send this to Couples, below is where you can go to get an official copy of a Birth Abroad Certificate if you live in the US. Maybe some more details on what you're trying to accomplish here would allow someone to recognize your situation and help out more..

    Replace or Amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

    In the US, many older (prior to the 70's) birth certificates did not have a "raised seal" which is required for passports so a new copy needs to be requested IOT get a passport, even if you have the original from the time of your birth. I'm guessing here, but is your problem similar to this??? If all else fails, contact a travel agent who may know the ropes on what to do in the situation you're trying to deal with.

    S/F
    Scott and June

    P.S. This could be added to the list of reasons to use a good travel agent!!!

    Hi Scott and June


    Thank you for the response. My certificate is from 1981 and what I am being told is that it is illegal to notarize a copy of any birth certificate or birth abroad certificate in the state of California. After doing some further research I am being told I must order a certified copy from the state dept which can take up to 8 weeks which would not allow enough time to submit the necessary documents to Couples. So at this point I am going to work with Couples to see what else can be done. I can't wait to get there already!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usmc7236 View Post
    While I'm mystified why you need to send this to Couples, below is where you can go to get an official copy of a Birth Abroad Certificate if you live in the US. Maybe some more details on what you're trying to accomplish here would allow someone to recognize your situation and help out more..

    Replace or Amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

    In the US, many older (prior to the 70's) birth certificates did not have a "raised seal" which is required for passports so a new copy needs to be requested IOT get a passport, even if you have the original from the time of your birth. I'm guessing here, but is your problem similar to this??? If all else fails, contact a travel agent who may know the ropes on what to do in the situation you're trying to deal with.

    S/F
    Scott and June

    P.S. This could be added to the list of reasons to use a good travel agent!!!

    The first thing I thought was she must have given birth while at Couples. Boy wouldn't have been a tale to tell the grandkids.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    26

    Default

    All I did was take the originals and the copies I made of the orginals to my bank and had her read the part in all the informaiton that Couples sent me that said what they considered "notorized" She stamped the copies and wrote a breif statment on each document that the documents were copies of the orginal. My fiancee was born in Okinawa so he has the same Born Abroad Certificate.
    We went to 3 other places and they would not notorize my Birth Certificate, his Born Abroad Certificate and all the other stuff we had to send in. They just seemed clueless, so I took everything to a person I knew at my bank. Believe me, I was freaking out too. It will all work it's self out, you just need to find a person that understands. I never sent orginials, they told me not to, they only wanted copies. If you want the e-mail Couples sent me to get all of my documents in order I will send it to you. My fiance had no problem getting his passport off of his Born Abroad Certificate either. I'm sure each state is different, we live in Ohio and it all worked out fairly quickly.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Just breathe is what I keep telling myself Bab1974. Thanks for the tips I will take your advice and contact my bank. 100 days until paradise

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nessaluv View Post
    Hi Scott and June


    Thank you for the response. My certificate is from 1981 and what I am being told is that it is illegal to notarize a copy of any birth certificate or birth abroad certificate in the state of California.
    Are you close to Nevada, Washington or Arizona maybe?

    Real Estate Offices and the UPS store are also good places to look for Notaries. Likely these folks may not be as discriminating as the people at the bank.

    Could you send couples your originals and order a new copy from the State Department that would arrive after your trip?

    S/F
    Scott and June

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usmc7236 View Post
    Are you close to Nevada, Washington or Arizona maybe?

    Real Estate Offices and the UPS store are also good places to look for Notaries. Likely these folks may not be as discriminating as the people at the bank.

    Could you send couples your originals and order a new copy from the State Department that would arrive after your trip?

    S/F
    Scott and June


    I am about a 3 hour drive from Nevada so not to far and it might be an excuse to go to Vegas. I have no problem at all sending the originals to couples and requesting a new copy. I think at this point that might be my best bet. I appreciate all your help and advice I am sure you are already aware of the magic couples holds. I just can't wait to get there and experience it also.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •