Default Welcome Back Pamela!

I noticed you are back to regularly posting on the message board! Welcome back!

Does this mean that you have booked a trip to Couples? I remember a post awhile ago explaining that you and your hubby were taking a break from your frequent Couples vacations because of your elderly dogs.

Thank you, TravelBug. Sadly, no. No return trip planned, but we are sorely in need of a vacation. Dasher died in 2012 at the age of 16, but we still have our 15-year-old cocker spaniel Rudy. He lost his sight about three years ago, and never has a dog adjusted to blindness more poorly. He is at that old dog stage where something new seems to crop up every other week. We spent a lot of time (and money) at the vet's office. We had been visiting Couples two (sometimes three) times a year, and now we haven't had a vacation in almost two years. Our next vacation will be bittersweet b/c it will mean that we've said farewell to our loyal friend, but the weather is cold and snowy, and I'm dreaming of the time when I will next find myself on the sunny beach in Negril.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Pamela,

How truely fortunate you guys are to have had your friends for so long. What a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by ironranger View Post
    Pamela,

How truely fortunate you guys are to have had your friends for so long. What a blessing.
    Ironranger,

It doesn't feel very lucky the third time we have to get up with him in the middle of the night. I'M JOKING!

We do feel very fortunate to have shared our lives with six really great dogs. We lost our first three to two different forms of cancer and hepatitis at the ages of 5, 8, and 8, so we know how truly special it is to have a dog for so long.

Rudy is special. He was severely abused by his first owner. We adopted him at the age of two; no one wanted him b/c he was so afraid of people that, whenever someone approached, he would flop over and wet himself. He was especially afraid of women (his first owner was a woman). He was undernourished, his muscles had atrophied (too scared to move b/c he thought that every step would be a misstep and he'd be beaten), and he was afraid of everything.

He found contact with us stressful, so we brought him home and "ignored" him. We let him follow Copper Joe and Dasher around and figure out how a cocker spaniel was supposed to act. He quickly learned that contact with us often involved a food treat, and once he learned that he could trust us, he let his guard down and opened his heart to us. We discovered a joyful, loving dog. Today, he loves everyone. He loves people and is good with kids, and he gets along very well with other dogs. It took us more than a year to help him achieve good health, but daily walks and a diet of home-made food helped him achieve good health. He may be blind and 15 (16 in May), but Rudy still goes for two one-mile walks a day. Old age is catching up to him, but we're doing all we can to keep him going and keep him comfortable.

Rudy loved our beach vacations in Michigan; he loves to soak up the sun. Too bad we can't bring him to Couples!
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I'm so sorry that Dasher passed away and that Rudy is not doing well. It must be so difficult. Our pets are so dear to us...they are members of our family. Our sweet dog passed away two months ago. He was almost 14 years old, but his age didn't make it any easier for us to say goodbye. I still tear up every time I think of him. And when we travel for a few days and return home, we acutely feel his absence-something is missing...it does break my heart. My thoughts are with you, your husband, and Rudy!