Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

I really do not get the confusion with the dress code. Randymon laid it out clearly. I do not think that Couples will let people starve who have a big issue with wearing long pants, something else that is a mystery to me.

We appreciate the dress code and that it is enforced in JA. Fine dining and shorts do not go together IMO and we enjoy the nicer ambiance of restaurants that require a dress code, at Couples and elsewhere.

I found Barbados to be a bit more formal overall than JA.

The number of restaurants seems to be in keeping with the size of the resort.

We look forward to our upcoming stay.

So is there a new pool or not?

I apologize if I missed this somewhere, but will there be any specialty nights such as a Beach Party or Lobster night? We always really enjoy the beach party at Couples and we LOVE Lobster. Of course, CB has a Seafood restaurant so we are keeping our fingers crossed that Lobster will be on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
    I really do not get the confusion with the dress code. Randymon laid it out clearly. I do not think that Couples will let people starve who have a big issue with wearing long pants, something else that is a mystery to me.

We appreciate the dress code and that it is enforced in JA. Fine dining and shorts do not go together IMO and we enjoy the nicer ambiance of restaurants that require a dress code, at Couples and elsewhere.

Judging by your name you are female. No you don't get it. As a female, you are allowed to wear a light short dress. You are not forced to put pants, socks and closed toed shoes on when it is 90 degrees and humid. That is what I have to wear to go to the office, I do not want my vacation to be like going to the office. At my usual CN I can visit all but one of the restaurants without long pants. I still wear dress shirts, dress shorts and dress sandals, it is not like I go to dinner wearing a wife beater. I am booked for CB in Feb knowing well that I may have to wear pants to dinner even though I am not looking forward to it. You can be sure of one thing though, the pants will be off the second dinner is over. As I have said before, I don't leave Iowa in Feb and go to the tropics to wear pants!!

Quote Originally Posted by caviargal View Post

Well, sorrrry if itís not so clear to everyone. Iím not the only one to point out all the discrepancies on the website and numerous types of dress code terminology. So far, no dress code is listed for Barbados on the website. Information buried in posts on a message board that only some of the Couples guests will read is not going to ensure that the majority know what the dress code is. Even within the message board it is inconsistent. I read where someone asked about capris being ok for women, but then this latest post goes back to stating dresses for women. If Couples wants to enforce strict dress codes like dresses only for women and only long pants for men, thatís their prerogative. itís not the norm, even for Couples, to not have any non formal option, so I just think this information should be posted in a consistent manner on the website, and perhaps included at the time of booking. Then perhaps there wouldnít be disappointed men who donít have long pants and closed shoes along, or even women who donít bring dresses (say it isnít true? lol). There also wouldnít be people getting uptight about what others are wearing when those people without appropriate attire are allowed in wearing shorts.
    As for dining options for size of resort, I read somewhere that the CB resort currently has 280 rooms. Isnít that larger than the Couples Jamaica resorts which have more than 3 options total (if thereís only 3... thatís why I was asking)
    As for why the big deal about long pants, 1) The heat. It is the Southern Caribbean and the dining is outdoors. My husband usually takes 1 or maybe 2 pairs max. to Couples or other resorts to wear if needed and/or indoor restaurants with AC. He was so relieved not to have to wear them in Costa Rica or Aruba as it was so hot while dining. 2) Packing. Long pants take up at least twice the space as shorts, and we try to pack lighter. For 8 nights heíll have to take at least 3-4 pairs of long pants now, and 3) Whatís the purpose anyway? I mean honestly, what century are we in? I think itís just a silly pointless rule. Just my opinion. What difference does it make in appearance if a man is wearing dress shorts below the table line or long pants, while he has a nice button up shirt on top? Is there a fear of hairy legs? What about golf shorts or Bermuda shorts? ...for even the most hoity-toity places like Bermuda or golf courses. lol. Honestly, my husband has nicer shorts than the pants many men wear. But hey... like I said, if we know the rules, we will follow them. We ARE looking forward to going. We just like to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    Judging by your name you are female. No you don't get it. As a female, you are allowed to wear a light short dress. You are not forced to put pants, socks and closed toed shoes on when it is 90 degrees and humid. That is what I have to wear to go to the office, I do not want my vacation to be like going to the office. At my usual CN I can visit all but one of the restaurants without long pants. I still wear dress shirts, dress shorts and dress sandals, it is not like I go to dinner wearing a wife beater. I am booked for CB in Feb knowing well that I may have to wear pants to dinner even though I am not looking forward to it. You can be sure of one thing though, the pants will be off the second dinner is over. As I have said before, I don't leave Iowa in Feb and go to the tropics to wear pants!!
    Completely agree! One of the pleasures of CN was not having to dress up each night. Coming from England, we really appreciate the heat and being able to wear shorts at night if we want to.
    Also it will mean we will need to pack a lot more clothes that will take up a lot more space.
    Oh well, we will see what happens. We are going in August and so hopefully we will know more by then.

ref the free weddings and renewal vows say it is free in Barbados? does that mean totally free or do we have to pay for anything?
    also getting confused with dress codes
    does my wife have to wear a dress for every meal?

Default Dress code

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicamecrazy View Post
    Well, sorrrry if itís not so clear to everyone. Iím not the only one to point out all the discrepancies on the website and numerous types of dress code terminology. So far, no dress code is listed for Barbados on the website. Information buried in posts on a message board that only some of the Couples guests will read is not going to ensure that the majority know what the dress code is. Even within the message board it is inconsistent. I read where someone asked about capris being ok for women, but then this latest post goes back to stating dresses for women. If Couples wants to enforce strict dress codes like dresses only for women and only long pants for men, thatís their prerogative. itís not the norm, even for Couples, to not have any non formal option, so I just think this information should be posted in a consistent manner on the website, and perhaps included at the time of booking. Then perhaps there wouldnít be disappointed men who donít have long pants and closed shoes along, or even women who donít bring dresses (say it isnít true? lol). There also wouldnít be people getting uptight about what others are wearing when those people without appropriate attire are allowed in wearing shorts.
    As for dining options for size of resort, I read somewhere that the CB resort currently has 280 rooms. Isnít that larger than the Couples Jamaica resorts which have more than 3 options total (if thereís only 3... thatís why I was asking)
    As for why the big deal about long pants, 1) The heat. It is the Southern Caribbean and the dining is outdoors. My husband usually takes 1 or maybe 2 pairs max. to Couples or other resorts to wear if needed and/or indoor restaurants with AC. He was so relieved not to have to wear them in Costa Rica or Aruba as it was so hot while dining. 2) Packing. Long pants take up at least twice the space as shorts, and we try to pack lighter. For 8 nights heíll have to take at least 3-4 pairs of long pants now, and 3) Whatís the purpose anyway? I mean honestly, what century are we in? I think itís just a silly pointless rule. Just my opinion. What difference does it make in appearance if a man is wearing dress shorts below the table line or long pants, while he has a nice button up shirt on top? Is there a fear of hairy legs? What about golf shorts or Bermuda shorts? ...for even the most hoity-toity places like Bermuda or golf courses. lol. Honestly, my husband has nicer shorts than the pants many men wear. But hey... like I said, if we know the rules, we will follow them. We ARE looking forward to going. We just like to be prepared.
    I totally hear you..this would be our 5th trip to Couples....previous always CN..ONE restaurant with long pants rules..otherwise dress shorts for men ok...this is a big deal! If my hubby has to wear long pants for dinner every night we will cancel our reservation!!

Randy..if my husband has to wear slacks for dinner, we will cancel our reservation and go back to CN...this is a big deal...he has dress shorts which were ok in Negril!

Unless I misread Randys response, there are 4 options for evening dining. Only 2 require long pants for men. Enids(to be renamed) does not, and there is also the beach grill. I personally have no problem with a dress code for fine dining, but for those that do... you have other options. At least thats how I read it. No one goes hungry at Couples!

Just booked CB for February 2015 so we have time for the dress code issues to be sorted out, guests who will come and go and will post their experiences, Enid's to be re-named, renovations to be completed, etc. I guess my SO was right after all...he suggested that we NOT book until '15, until all the kinks have been worked out and the resort truly settles into being the wonderful experience we expect it to be. I am now content with the choice we made.

CN 2010, CSA 2011, CSA 2013, CB 2015

I understand the 4 dives per week, but how many dives per day. I am hoping for 2 tank dives when the boat goes out. Also, would the $80.00 for extra dives be 2 tanks or just one. I am looking forward to Couples, but want some diving, too.

Thanks!

For those of you who are upset about the stated dress code of slacks, collared shirt, and shoes or dress sandals for men at CB I would say to stop venting on this message board and click on the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send your concerns to customer relations where more may be done. Randymon tries to keep this board fresh and moving along but may not have time to personally address everyone's concerns with management. I always prefer the direct route.
    Still, I must say that in my humble opinion light weight slacks should not be a big deal in the evening after the sun is down for fine dining. What would you wear to the better restaurants in your town or city when going out to dinner during the summer months? It gets into the 90's on a regular basis here in NJ during that time of year and neither I nor most other guests I see would wear shorts to those fine restaurants. Seven years ago at CSS when we were married there men had to wear jackets to the Casanova Restaurant! Dressing "up" for a couple dinners (if wearing slacks can be called dressing up?) is part of the resort experience for me and would be fun if you embraced it rather than let it upset you. It is after all a 5 star resort and not just a beach get away. Don't sweat the small stuff mon. Respect.

While you're on the dress code issues. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it in this 7 page thread but in the Country of Barbados you are not allowed to wear any camouflage, no shorts, pants, T-shirts, bags, hats, bandanas, swimsuits, etc. with a camo pattern.

Default Couples Barbados in comparison to Jamaica couples resorts.....

Randymon,

We are booked for December 2013 to Barbados-we're wondering if all of the same accomodations and activities will be provided at this Couples resort. I've looked up quite a few reviews for the current Almond Casuarina Beach resort and I can't say we're pleased. We just came back from swept away this month and well....we were SWEPT AWAY! So we're hoping this will be just as wonderful as Jamaica. Are there any other renovations that are being done besides the new pool/jacuzzi and the changing of accessories in the rooms? Food? Activities? Nightly entertainment? Fitness classes offered?

Forget the restaurant dress code at Couples for a minute and look into the dress code for off site dinners like this one stated in Fodor's Travel Guides. Those of you thinking of dining off resort should know it is not just Couples but the normal expectations of those in Barbados itself that you should be aware of.

Here is their posting:
    What to Wear: The dress code for dinner in Barbados is conservative, casually elegant, and, on occasion, formalóa jacket and tie for gentlemen and a cocktail dress for ladies in the fanciest restaurants and hotel dining rooms, particularly during the winter holiday season. Jeans, shorts, and T-shirts (either sleeveless or with slogans) are always frowned upon at dinner. Beach attire is appropriate only at the beach.

Another tip at Barbadostips.com states:
    PLEASE NOTE DRESS CODES AT FINE DINING RESTAURANTS IN BARBADOS:

THE CLIFF: Elegantly casual. Jacket and tie are not required and knee length dress shorts are acceptable for gentlemen -- quite smart is what they are looking for. Dress hats permitted. No armhole shirts for men, flip flops, or beachwear are acceptable.

The Tides (Restaurant of the Year for 2006: Ladies are required to dress elegantly casual and gentlemen to wear long pants. Shorts, flip-flops or sleeveless shirts are not permitted.

Other places say: Resort/elegantly casual. This usually means no beach wear or athletic wear allowed; jeans are frowned upon as are shorts, t-shirts, sneakers and flip-flops.

Others add: gentlemen are expected to wear a collared shirt.

So by all of this you can see it would be safe to say in general, men: long pants, collared shirt, no flip-flops.

Women: nice sun dresses, capris and nice top, etc

So Men especially -- prepare accordingly and forget the shorts for the evening, or risk being turned away and as a result miss a fantastic dining experience.

At articlecity.com Barbados Travel tips for dress are:

Barbados is a British colonized island and therefore embraces the British conservatism in dress. The dress during the day is casual, tropical travel beach attire. At night and for dinner the men wear pants and collared shirts and the ladies where dresses and skirts. Due to the weather it is best if they are lightweight materials.

The Barbadians, or Bajans as they are more commonly referred to on the island, dress business casual most of the time. In the city business dress is the norm for locals and there are many men in ties and even jackets.

When dressing to go shopping beach attire is not appropriate. Bathing suits and swim wear are reserved for beaches and beach bars.

We plan to be respectful of Couples few rules which actually seem to reflect the expectations and norm of the island as a whole. We also expect to have a wonderful time by not obsessing over them. Lighten up and enjoy...have some rum mon...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Pizarro View Post
    Randymon,

We are booked for December 2013 to Barbados-we're wondering if all of the same accomodations and activities will be provided at this Couples resort. I've looked up quite a few reviews for the current Almond Casuarina Beach resort and I can't say we're pleased. We just came back from swept away this month and well....we were SWEPT AWAY! So we're hoping this will be just as wonderful as Jamaica. Are there any other renovations that are being done besides the new pool/jacuzzi and the changing of accessories in the rooms? Food? Activities? Nightly entertainment? Fitness classes offered?
    I've been trying to get a confirmation that the renovations you mention will even be in place. New pool? I have asked THREE TIMES!

Well if you take a look on the Tripadvisor forum for Barbados you can get up to date, as in recent, and actual information from Barbados experts and frequent travellers. Do a search for "dress code". You will see that only a few of the finest dining restaurants have what they call a "formal" dress code, which means long pants for men. Even the resorts tend to have non formal options... but not too casual... nice dress shorts and collared shorts seem to be the norm according to the experts and the regulars. Some people mention that they regretted bringing too many dress clothes. But don't believe ME, as I've only been in the day time and it was as casual then as every other Caribbean island. Check out the forum for yourself.
    I just care about Couples since this is where we're going. I hope Randymon will come back and confirm if there are any dinner time dining options where long pants are not required (other than room service). Otherwise we'll just hope it relaxes a bit by Dec... but if not, I guess he'll have to suck it up and sweat it out for an hour or two around dinner before getting back into his shorts.

Default How many dives for Padi certified?

For certified Padi scuba divers, I've read that we get two complimentary dives with our booking of 7+ days-I've also seen that the couples website days we would get a complimetary dive per day and a second depending on the time/space available. Would we just get the 2 dives for our stay or is it per day?

Thanks randymon!

Quote Originally Posted by Markt1973 View Post
    I've been trying to get a confirmation that the renovations you mention will even be in place. New pool? I have asked THREE TIMES!
    I hope Couples resort pulls through on this location!!! I'm anxious for more information because it was just too good of a deal for us to pass up. We planned a 10 day stay....and any word on scuba diving? I've heard two different things-one complimentary dive per day? Or is it just 2 per trip? Oy vey!

I am an American and very proud of it! Having traveled to various countries around the world I am not always that proud of the image some American tourists (I am sure not just Americans do this) have projected of us. They expect the world to conform to or at least always accept the "American way" in anything from language and customs to clothing, food, and manners. I would suggest checking into these things before you travel anywhere and become the traveler who makes an effort to comply with the norms of the country you are a guest in and not try to circumvent them whenever possible. There will always be those who refuse to do this and they will find others who did the same to justify their actions. That does not make it right. A good rule I like to follow is "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

If you have a couple minutes to spare take a look at this web site with some observations that we can all learn from no matter what country we come from. This is not just for Barbados or the Caribbean but world travel in general. 3 Ways to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist - wikiHow.

Remember, it may be your vacation but it is their country! Avoid the stereotypes and pitfalls. Respect.

The article you posted had some beneficial information but was also full of pretentious nonsense. Makes you kinda wonder just how much traveling some of these folks that add to these have actually done.

Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    The article you posted had some beneficial information but was also full of pretentious nonsense. Makes you kinda wonder just how much traveling some of these folks that add to these have actually done.
    I went back to look at it and realized that it was a site that does allow people to edit or add so there is bound to be a few nonsense things injected in there as with most of these kinds of things...even occasionally this message board. (Definitely TA!!!) I have had my "what was I thinking" moments as well in hopes of pulling back words after they leave my mouth or keyboard. For the most part though, there are things we can all at least think about to make our trips go better and to avoid problems. Many of these were apparent when we last visited Italy. I can't tell you how many people I saw in the blocks long line waiting to get into the Vatican who were waiting in vain as the shorts, mini skirts, and tank tops would not be allowed in. The Vatican did not care how hot it was, and it was hot! Respect was what was important. Hours in line for nothing as they didn't check ahead of time or felt the dress code would not be enforced.
    People should try to comply to the norms or expectations of where they are visiting rather than to test and challenge these things. It makes for a far more relaxing and pleasant trip. If it takes slacks rather than shorts to get into the better restaurants at CB or Barbados in general then why make it a confrontation. Accept it and enjoy. You should not stress on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by rckbert View Post
    I went back to look at it and realized that it was a site that does allow people to edit or add so there is bound to be a few nonsense things injected in there as with most of these kinds of things...even occasionally this message board. (Definitely TA!!!) I have had my "what was I thinking" moments as well in hopes of pulling back words after they leave my mouth or keyboard. For the most part though, there are things we can all at least think about to make our trips go better and to avoid problems. Many of these were apparent when we last visited Italy. I can't tell you how many people I saw in the blocks long line waiting to get into the Vatican who were waiting in vain as the shorts, mini skirts, and tank tops would not be allowed in. The Vatican did not care how hot it was, and it was hot! Respect was what was important. Hours in line for nothing as they didn't check ahead of time or felt the dress code would not be enforced.
    People should try to comply to the norms or expectations of where they are visiting rather than to test and challenge these things. It makes for a far more relaxing and pleasant trip. If it takes slacks rather than shorts to get into the better restaurants at CB or Barbados in general then why make it a confrontation. Accept it and enjoy. You should not stress on vacation.
    Great post and I concur 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by rckbert View Post
    Absolutely agree on that. We should be as informed as possible about where we're traveling and be willing to follow the customs and guidelines, not expect them to conform to ours.

One of the issues I have is with these people that think they're blending in. No they're not, they're just fooling themselves. The locals will still spot a tourist no matter. Sometimes it's okay to be a tourist, not every person in the place you're visiting is out to take advantage of tourists, some of them are actually welcoming and friendly.

Good points you bring out.

PS, I'm happy to be an American and wouldn't really trade that for anything else. I don't expect special treatment because of it.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast