Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Wow, this is getting a little carried away and blown out of proportion. It was simply a question as to whether men can wear DRESS shorts at any of the restaurants rather than long pants. Then we end up having to defend why, not to Couples but other guests. None of your business really. Then there's the comparison to those who disrespect other countries. I don't, so I take offense. I am Canadian, where we embrace everyone's culture... i.e. RCMP can wear turbins.
    So this is not even close to the same thing. We're just talking about length of pants at a Caribbean resort. Can we stay on track please and stop getting so dramatic. The condescending attitude is getting more than a little annoying.

For those who are thinking of not going if the long pant rules in enforced, it is your choice of course, but I wouldn't let that affect your decision. Dinner doesn't take that long, then the men can get back into shorts. I don't think the majority of men will be wearing a suit with a tie and jacket walking about with their nose in the air.
    ...and hey, long pants will save on bug spray! Maybe the women should wear long pants too! lol

I read in another post that there will not be room service at CB, which could have been a shorts option.
    Now is the time to shop for light/summer weight pants and we just want to decide how many to buy/bring. So...

Randymon - Could you please confirm if long pants will be required for ALL evening dining options?
    Thank you.

Hi -

Men are requested to wear long pants if dining at Dover or Waves Restaurant. Not required for the beach grill or the soon to be renamed "Enids" Bajan/Caribbean restaurant.

Couples Resorts

To be more specific regarding theme nights, Mondays will be the Caribbean Beach Party and Saturdays will be the International Gala Buffet.

Couples Resorts

Greetings to all:

Here are some interesting facts about Barbados:

Barbados History

Barbados History

• Barbados is an independent island located in the western Atlantic Ocean
    • It was created by the collision of the Atlantic and Caribbean plates, along with a volcanic eruption
    • Barbados is believed to be inhabited by Amerindians coming from Venezuela around 350-400 BC
    • In the mid 1500s, the Portuguese claimed the island but did not make a colony out of it.
    • The island was called Los Barbados, meaning ‘the beards’ because the indigenous ficus trees were thought to resemble male facial hair
    • In 1625, British ships landed on Barbados and claimed the land in the name of King James I
    • In 1627 Captain Henry Powell landed with a party of 80 settlers and 10 slaves
    • Over the next 20 years, the island’s population grew significantly on account of the introduction of sugar cane
    • English law and traditions took hold quickly and the island was soon given the nickname “Little England”
    • 1639 – The first Parliament was held, consolidating the English stronghold over the island
    • In 1966 Barbados gained full independence and retained its status as a Commonwealth country

Fun Facts

Barbados, Land of the Flying Fish - Fun Facts, Questions, Answers, Information

• 166 sq miles
    • Population of 284,000 and a growth rate of 0.33%
    • Bridgetown is Barbados’ capital city
    • Barbadians speak a dialect of English with tonal qualities that reflect the West African heritage of the vast majority of its population
    • Barbados is only 21 miles long and 14 miles across at its widest point
    • Average temperatures ranges from 70 - 88 degrees Fahrenheit
    • Barbados is known as ‘the land of the flying fish’ because of the abundance of flying fish in its waters. They can glide for 30 to 50 meters
    • The highest point in Barbados is Mount Hillaby (1,105 ft; 337 m) in the north-central area
    • The world’s 2nd oldest living man lives in Barbados: James Sisnett, 113 years old
    • Famous singer Rihanna was Born in St. Michael, Barbados on February 20, 1988
    • One of hip hop’s greatest pioneers, Grandmaster Flash (Joseph Saddler)was born in Bridgetown, Barbados on January 1, 1958
    • Barbados is known for being one of the best windsurfing spots in the world
    • The best time to surf in Barbados is between December - March
    • It is known as good luck in Barbados if a mongoose scurries across your path
    • Barbados is completely surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean
    • Barbados is the only coral island in the region with all white sand beaches
    http://couples.com/mb/newreply.php?p=213358&noquote=1
    Popular Attractions

Best Things to Do in Barbados | U.S.News Travel

• Harrison Cave is one of the most popular attractions of the island. The cave is known for the stalactites hanging from the roof of the cave and stalagmites that emerge from the ground, with streams of pure clear water that come from spectacular waterfalls to form natural pools
    • Crane Beach has been recognized as one of the top 10 beaches in the world. Here you will find plentiful sub-tropical vegetation, striking cliffs, soft white sand, clear blue water, and a coral reef that creates a natural harbor making it a safe swimming area
    • The Animal Flower Cave is named for the sea anemones found inside. The coral floor of the cave is believed to be between 400,000 - 500,000 years old
    • The Barbados Wildlife Reserve is a very popular attraction in Barbados. The animals are out in the open in a natural environment, allowing you the opportunity to walk through the reserve and observe them in their natural habitat

Cricket

List of international cricketers from Barbados - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• The Kensington Oval is a famous cricket field in Bridgetown, Barbados
    • Barbados is one of the regions which makes up the West Indies cricket team
    • Barbados contributed 3 players to the side that competed in the West Indies first Test match against England in 1928—Snuffy Browne, George Challenor and George Francis
    • The first Barbadian to captain the West Indies was Teddy Hoad during the first Test of England’s tour to the West Indies in 1929
    • Garry Sobers holds the record for the most Test runs by a Barbadian for the West Indies, his tally of 8,032 runs is the 4th highest overall for the West Indies
    • Desmond Haynes has scored the most ODI runs by a Barbadian for the West Indies with 8,648
    • Gordon Greenidge is the second highest scoring Barbadian in both Tests and ODIs
    • Malcolm Marshall has taken the most Test wickets by a Barbadian with 376, which is the 3rd highest overall for the West Indies
    • Malcolm Marshall also holds the record for the most ODI wickets by a Barbadian with 157
    • Joel Garner is the second highest wicket taking Barbadian in both Tests and ODIs
    • “The Three Ws”—Everton Weekes, Frank Worrell and Clyde Walcott have each scored over 3,000 Test runs for the West Indies

Polo

The Heritage of Polo in Barbados. A special spectator sport for your Barbados Holidays

• The first horse polo match in Barbados was played in 1884
    • British cavalry officers brought the sport with them from Great Britain
    • Polo season: January – May
    • 4 Polo fields in Barbados:
    o Holders Hill in St. James is the main field
    o Water Hall polo field in St. James
    o Lion Castle polo grounds in St. Thomas
    o Clifton polo field in St. Thomas

Crop Over Festival

Crop over - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Crop Over is a five-week long summer harvest festival in Bridgetown, Barbados. Beginning in June, Crop Over it runs until the first Monday in August when it culminates in the finale, The Grand Kadooment.
    • Its origins can be traced back to the 1780's, a time when Barbados was the world's largest producer of sugar
    • At the end of the sugar season, there was always a huge celebration to mark the culmination of another successful sugar cane harvest; hence the festival name – Crop Over
    • Festival traditions include living music, dancing, climbing a greased pole, feasting and drinking competitions
    • The Crop Over festival attracts thousands of people from across the globe
    Last edited by Couples Resorts; May 10th, 2013 at 08:25 AM.

Couples Resorts

Thanks, Amanda. The food here is tasty.

Randy, it's Kensington Oval. Not Kingston Oval.

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post
    Hi -

Men are requested to wear long pants if dining at Dover or Waves Restaurant. Not required for the beach grill or the soon to be renamed "Enids" Bajan/Caribbean restaurant.
    That's awesome! Thank you for clariying. He will still wear a nice collared shirt and dressy shorts at the more casual places, but not having to wear long pants every single night is a relief. Me, I still prefer my dresses regardless... cool and comfortable. I know the food is going to be amazing like all the other Couples.

To be more specific regarding theme nights, Mondays will be the Caribbean Beach Party and Saturdays will be the International Gala Buffet.
    Looking forward to both. Enjoyed these nights at CSA and CSS (and the NY gala at CTI). Always good food, and fun socializing. I guess no Silverbirds though. They're so talented.

Couples of Questions:

1). Will the pools and hot tubs be open 24 hours like they are in Jamaica?

2). Is 24 hour room service included?

3). Is the tipping policy the same as Jamaica?

Thanks!

Hi -

Randy..on the couples Barbados site it lists 3 restaurants right now..what is the beach grill all about? Is it open for lunch and dinner and what would be the menu? Also the Enid's only serves Caribbean food..just wondering since at CN on lobster night you can get it at any restaurant..and which restaurant would have a buffet option at night which I assume would be more casual?

Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    Couples of Questions:

2). Is 24 hour room service included?

Thanks!
    He posted earlier that there is no room service at this resort.

Quote Originally Posted by grayturtless View Post
    Randymon,

Will there be floaties on every chair, or is that a Jamaica thing? It may be a minor detail, but its huge for us. Love floating in the ocean, although I know that Barbados beach is not as calm as Jamaica.
    Did a search, but can't seem to see the answer to this. If it has been answered can someone post where to find it?

Quote Originally Posted by atthebeach View Post
    Did a search, but can't seem to see the answer to this. If it has been answered can someone post where to find it?
    I read that there would not be any floaties due to rougher waters at this resort.

Reply from randymon on 11/02
    "Yes to Hammocks. No to floaties for now. Yes to beach flag service."

Confirming ... Web-site states "24 hour FOOD service" ... Not Room Service --- still awaiting response on since it appears there is no breakfast room service, Is there a coffee maker in the rooms????
    Thanks for any response.
    Cheers!

24 hour food service, but no room service.

Yes, Coffee makers in the rooms. Kettles for tea available too.

Couples Resorts

Thanks!!!!

I'm booked for June 17. How are the renovations going?

Quote Originally Posted by joobeloo View Post
    Reply from randymon on 11/02
    "Yes to Hammocks. No to floaties for now. Yes to beach flag service."
    Thanks for the answer. Randymon, can you explain what you mean by "for now"? Will there be floats at a later date? When?

Is there a spa at Couples Barbados? If not, is there a local spa that's recommended?

Thanks.

Yes, there will be a new spa when Couples Barbados is launched on June 15.

Couples Resorts

Booked July 8-15

48 Days 15 Hrs 18 min to arrival!!!

Hello, New to these boards... Looking to book Junior Ocean Suite in Couples Barbados for 3rd week in August. How do you think the renovations will be by then? Will it be very loud and construction materials all over? I have been to Barbados many times, but first real vacation in a VERY long time for my sister, so looking for a beautiful getaway!

Can we expect Mount Gay rum at the bars and in the rooms?

Even though the ocean is a bit rough for the floaties will they be available at the pools?

Will there be rental car availability at the hotel. I think I would like to roam the island a day or two.

Hoping for November trip.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast