Default question about the water/beach

i was noticing in some of the pictures of the beaches that it looks like there are sections of the water that are roped off, as if to tell you that you can't swim beyond that line. I was wondering if that is the case because my boyfriend and I are strong swimmers and like to snorkel (without having to go on the excursion) and it doesn't seem like the roped-off section of the beach is terribly large at any of the resorts. Some insight for those who have been there would be appreciated!

The roped off areas not only protect swimmers from going out too far but protect them from boat traffic. It all depends on the resort as to how large the swimming area is. Can't say we remember seeing much good snorkeling right off the resort. We've always done the excursion as they take you to the reef where the views are awesome!

No, the ropes are at about the 4 foot depth. You are free to swim past them.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

What resort are you looking for??

It may depend upon the particular resort you are looking at. I would not swim beyond the roped off area at CSA or CN because there are a lot of jet skis and boats out there. Does not look safe for swimmers
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

It depends on which beach? We go to Swept Away and also like to snorkel. We walk down the beach to a rocky area and swim there in the mornings. But, you have to be careful with the jet skies running around.

Life is good

I'm guessing you're looking at CSA. You don't want to swim beyond the roped off area due to jetskis and power boats. There is nothing to see but sand unless you go on the snorkel boat.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

First which resort are you going to? Each has a different kind of beach and concern. At CSA the roped off section for swimmers is needed as boats and waverunners go by all through the day and they may not see you out in the water beyond the ropes. At CSS I believe the roped section keeps you from going out into a rocky reef section with coral. I am not sure about the other resorts. In any case, swimming beyond the ropes is at your own risk so be careful. At CSA they do have a full sized lap pool in the sports complex that is available and the roped swimming section is rather long as this is the largest of the resorts on the Seven Mile Beach.

Which resort? The ropped off area at Swept Away is huge! There is also jet ski action beyond the ropes, and with people from all resorts drinking, and more, and then renting the ski, not a good idea to go beyound the ropes. There isn't much to see anyway, as it's all sand. Take the boat.

We stayed at CN last year, and while you can swim beyond the ropes, there is also jetski, sailboat, and other boats beyond that area. The roped in section is the designated area for swimming and to keep the other traffic out, but I don't believe there is anything stopping you from swimming beyond that area

The roped off area is for swimming, beyond the ropes you will see sail boats, jetski's, and the various dive boats. I don't believe there is any reason that you wouldn't be able to swim beyond the rope, just keep in mind there will be other traffic on the other side.

Within the roped in area, you'll mostly find people floating on the rafts and relaxing.

thanks for all the input, I wasn't referring to one resort in particular, I had just noticed it in a few of the pictures for a few of the resorts. I wasn't sure if there was a lifeguard that would yell at you if you went beyone the ropes lol

Trust me.... you do NOT want to swim beyond the roped area... This would best be described as suicidal... trust me, whether the jetski and other watercraft users are sober or not, they will very likely not be seeing a pair of swimmers no matter how good they are. This is because they simply aren't looking for them. Stay beachside of the ropes, and take the snorkeling trip. You can go twice a day if you're persistent in signing up at the watersports shack.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

No yelling at Couples!

Quote Originally Posted by uagirl90 View Post
    i was noticing in some of the pictures of the beaches that it looks like there are sections of the water that are roped off, as if to tell you that you can't swim beyond that line. I was wondering if that is the case because my boyfriend and I are strong swimmers and like to snorkel (without having to go on the excursion) and it doesn't seem like the roped-off section of the beach is terribly large at any of the resorts. Some insight for those who have been there would be appreciated!
    One other tip - if you want to snorkel on your own (not part of the organized tours) be sure to pack your own snorkel gear. The resort gear is only for the organized trips. Also, boat and watercraft traffic doesn't start up until around 9am, so I've seen several people at all 4 resorts do some early morning snorkeling way outside the ropes when the water is still like glass.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

CB - 2015