Default sunscreen recommendations

I searched and can't find a thread I had previously read regarding sunscreen recommendations. In it, several people had given rave reviews to a certain brand. However, that brand was/is not available in US stores and I had found it on Amazon. If memory serves correct, it was from the UK and it supposedly lasts longer than other brands. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance,
    Richard
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

Ok, got the answer I was looking for in regards to the brand of sunscreen. (It is P20 for those of you that are curious). I do have another question to add though. After researching P20, it appears it only comes in SPF 10 and 20. Now the wife and I aren't typically naked in the sun, so I am a little concerned that SPF 20 to begin with will be too light of protection. Any recommendations from the veteran au natural beach goers? Should we purchase something more like SPF 45 to begin with for a few days, and then work our way down to SPF 20? If so, any brand recommendations? Which is better aerosol or lotion?
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

Our favorite, and it has been for years, is Bullfrog. Expensive but worth every penny. We've probably gone through 2 gallons of the stuff in umpteen visits to CN and Jamaica. For some sensitive areas it will burn a bit, for just a minute and then it's fine. They have a spray and a liquid - we prefer the liquid - half the spray seems to blow away in the breeze.

Vacouple, I am fair skinned and I use a waterproof sunscreen of 30. (The waterproof stays on longer) I have never used anything higher than 30 SPF without a problem. I try to use common sense finding shade for most of the time, and I still seem to get enough sun without trying. The areas which have never been out in the open will burn very quickly. The sun in the tropics is intense, so make sure you apply sunscreen often and EVERYWHERE...The key is to apply in your room before you go out, and reapply often. The lotion will rub off on the towel you lay down on so be conscious of that. I have heard that anything higher than 30 SPF doesn't give you anymore protection. (Please feel free to correct me if this is not true).
    IMHO I would stick with the 30. If you stay in the sun too long, You will burn regardless of the SPF you put on. Remember, if you or your wife can't make it to the AN area because of too much sun, then the other is not allowed to partake.
    As far as the aerosol goes... how can you spray where you want when the wind is blowing?
    Have fun.... and don't forget the tops of your feet. I heard that a thousand times and I still forget.

When I went to their website, it looks like they make a 50+, it is a spray though and I can't find a place that sells it online..

Thanks for all the help. The appealing part of the P20 stuff is that it lasts 10 hours. However, getting anything above SPF20 is proving to be difficult from that manufacturer. Any other brand recommendations for the "sensitive" areas that won't burn?
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

I like "blue lizard" sunscreen. Stays on for a long time, available at amazon and drugstore.com, and comes in small carry-on friendly size tubes. We go through about 1 tube of the "face" type and 5 tubes of "regular" in a week.

Found nothing better than Bullfrog and do like the spray. But the gel does go further. We use the SPF 36.

Bullfrog SPF 36 gel goes further but I like the spray.

Jen and I have use a variety of different sunscreens, the last couple of trips we've used the Hawaiian Tropic sheer touch SPF 30, and it's been fine in sensitive places. There are some that give you a longer *burning* sensation then others, but this one seems to be the best for us.

The key is to apply in your room before you head down to the beach. You are sure to get everywhere (because you aren't concerned about applying lotions to areas that you wouldn't normally touch in public), and it gives it time to sink in before you actually get out in the sun. Re-applying is key of course to making sure that you don't get burnt.

Word to the wise, don't use the aerosol spray ones on the sensitive areas unless you really want to *feel the burn*!

Having said that of course, we always bring a couple of cans of the spray sunscreen so that I can spray my head. I shave my head down with clippers, so my hair is never longer then 1/8th of an inch. Getting thick sunscreen on my scalp is tough, but teh spray kinds are perfect for this applications.

Now, with regards to the SPF ratings:

From High SPF Sunscreens: Are they Better?

High-SPF Sunscreens: Are They Better?
    WebMD discusses the pros and cons of high-SPF sunscreens.

By Salynn Boyles

WebMD Feature Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

When you've shopped for sunscreen , you have probably noticed products with very high sun protection factor (SPF) ratings.

But is a 100+ or a 90+ sunscreen really that much better than one with an SPF of 30?

SPF refers to the ability of a sunscreen to block ultraviolet B (UVB) rays, which cause sunburns, but not UVA rays, which are more closely linked to deeper skin damage. Both UVA and UVB contribute to the risk of skin cancer.

The SPF rating is a measure of the time it would take you to sunburn if you were not wearing sunscreen as opposed to the time it would take with sunscreen on.

"SPF is not a consumer-friendly number," says Florida dermatologist James M. Spencer, MD. "It is logical for someone to think that an SPF of 30 is twice as good as an SPF of 15 and so on. But that is not how it works."

According to Spencer, an SPF 15 product blocks about 94% of UVB rays; an SPF 30 product blocks 97% of UVB rays; and an SPF 45 product blocks about 98% of rays.

"After that, it just gets silly," he says.

Sunscreens with higher SPF ratings block slightly more UVB rays, but none offers 100% protection.

Spencer recommends SPF 30 products to his patients.

Farah Ahmed, who is general counsel for the cosmetics industry group Personal Care Products Council, concedes that the difference in sunburn protection between the medium- and high-SPF sunscreens is not great.

But, she says, the high SPF products may protect better against long-term skin damage and exposure-related skin cancers.

Whatever product you choose, experts recommend using a water-resistant sunscreen applied liberally one half hour before going outdoors. Sunscreen should be reapplied at least every two hours or after swimming, drying off, or sweating.

"The best way make sure you are protected is to reapply sunscreen often," Spencer says. "You just can't put it on in the morning and forget about it. I don't care if it's SPF 800 or the best UVA protection, after a few hours it's gone."

i got so sick of rubbing on sunscreen..will only bring spray next time!

We are about a month away from our trip! Need to start stocking up on sunscreen. For the repeat visitors to Couples Resorts, what would be an adequate quantity of sunscreen to bring for 10 days? I don't want to run out 3 days before we leave, and I don't want to carry home 10 extra bottles we didn't need. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

The past two trips to CSS (7 nights), hubby and I used 4 bottles of sunscreen. First time we went home with 1 bottle, last time we had to buy some at the gift shop ($$$$!!!). We are bringing 4 bottles again and if we need to buy more, well, we have resort credits I guess. :-/

For 10 days, bring at LEAST 4 bottles!

Make sure you where no. 50 if you burn and put it on constantly I wore no. 50 and still got a little red. I used the spray next time I would use the lotion.

The SPF rating depends on how quickly you burn. We use 30 but, as was stated before, the key is to REAPPLY OFTEN. I cannot stress this enough, as I sit here with quite a burn. Also, if you do burn, you might want to check with the spa. Those wonderful ladies gave me a little Aloe and it worked wonders! I guess it also helped that we had a couples massage scheduled for a few hours later though!

To state this again....reapply after sitting in your chair, going in the pool, going in the ocean, putting clothes on to eat, etc.

We haven't even left yet and we're planning our next trip back home!

We use P20 all the time and it is brilliant! It really does last 10 hours without having to reapply and the only place I have experienced stinging is when I got some in my eye. The fact you don't need to reapply is amazing - just pop it on before you dress in your room and that's you for the day - no rubbing in on the beach and sand sticking to you!!

We usually buy at the airport before leaving the UK as this is always the cheapest place and can they go in cabin with you rather than in your luggage.

On our last holiday we spent 8 hrs a day AN and after one application ended up with wonderful tans and no burn (the 20 is a high enough factor even for my naturally blue husband!!)

I was sceptical when someone introduced us to P20 about 15 years ago but now wouldn't use anythigng else