Default Airfare - Roundtrip vs One-Way

We've always done the round-trip tickets. Looking at airfare now and cringing... seems a couple hundred dollars cheaper to buy separate one-way tickets.

Has anyone done this before? Am I missing something? Why doesn't everyone do this if it's cheaper?

69 days!

Nobody does it because its almost never cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin76 View Post
    We've always done the round-trip tickets. Looking at airfare now and cringing... seems a couple hundred dollars cheaper to buy separate one-way tickets.

Has anyone done this before? Am I missing something? Why doesn't everyone do this if it's cheaper?

69 days!
    Because it's usually not cheaper. We fly United and they have their one ways priced pretty much at exactly half of the full fare. But if your airline has it cheaper, then I say do it! The only drawback for one ways would be that if something were to happen either on your end or the airline end and flights get delayed or cancelled, your two flights aren't on the same reservation so it may take a little more work to get them changed.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

CB - 2015

For business travel yes i do this. Sometimes its cheaper, sometime not.

Only downside that comes to mind...lets say your first flight was cancelled and you couldn't leave until next day...Shortening yOur vacation. If you have roundtrip ticket the airline should adjust and be able to push out your departure date. However, if your departure is a different airline they would charge you a change fee, usually around $150 plus per ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin76 View Post

69 days!
    We have booked one way tickets before no problem. Do whatever is cheaper it has no bearing on your trip.

We have done one way's. It's not usually for the price but for the time of the flight . Go for it.

It is cheaper for us Canadians. Its about 40 dollars cheaper becasue you are not paying our Canadian taxes on the flight coming home. If you book two one ways, the returning flight is billed in American dollars. With our dollar almost the same now a days, it does come out slightly cheaper.

We booked one way tickets when we traveled last thanksgiving. Different carriers, different airports, no problem. We too, could not believe how much better the times were and prices! I have no idea why, but this is something I will always check. Good luck, enjoy!