Default Customs policy on Prescription Medication

Does anyone know what Customs policy on prescription meds? I really do not like to travel with all the RX bottles. . I carry them in a separate daily container. Does customs require you have them in the RX bottles vs separate daily container? Appreciate any information one can advise me of regarding this matter.

From the dept of state website:

Bringing Medications or Filling Prescriptions Abroad

A traveler going abroad with a preexisting medical problem should carry a letter from the attending physician, describing the medical condition and any prescription medications, including the generic names of prescribed drugs. Any medications being carried overseas should be left in their original containers and be clearly labeled. Travelers should check with the foreign embassy of the country they are visiting to make sure any required medications are not considered to be illegal narcotics. (A listing of foreign embassies and consulates in the U.S. is available on the Department of State’s website at Web Sites of Foreign Embassies in the U.S. . Foreign embassy and consulate contact information can also be found on the Country Specific Information for each country.)

You don't have to declare prescription meds that are for personal use. Take them in whatever container you'd like. I've never been stopped or asked about them.

To be safe I've always put them in the prescription bottle with my name/doctor/medication name etc.. on the label and have included the bottles in my ziplock bag with my liquids so they are easily seen when going through security, have never had any problems doing it that way.

I have a medical condition that requires me to take several medications so I feel for you...but yes, you must have them in their original RX bottles with your name matching the name on your passport. Bring the daily containers to separate them once you're there for the week, then bring them back empty again. It is a pain I know - however it against TSA regulations. I travel for work fairly frequently and had to look this up because it was the last thing I wanted to do as well.
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

I am a diabetic and have traveled many times. Make sure all your prescription drugs are in their original packaging with the RX data attached. I also bring a letter from my doctor stating that I am traveling with diabetic supplies. Pack everything in your carryon in one bag and take this bag out separately when going through TSA. I have never been pulled aside or questioned.

Life is good

Customs won't even ask you about them because it's not something that needs to be declared. Chances are they will never ask. However, I always like to be safe than sorry and carry mine, even though it may be a pain, in the original prescription bottle. They don't have a specific policy but you can email them if you want to know for sure: public.relations@jacustoms.gov.jm
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

From the US customs and border protection website. Other nations may vary. You don't mention where your from.

"Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-oxygen-tanks

S/F
    Scott and June

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora55 View Post
    Does anyone know what Customs policy on prescription meds? I really do not like to travel with all the RX bottles. . I carry them in a separate daily container. Does customs require you have them in the RX bottles vs separate daily container? Appreciate any information one can advise me of regarding this matter.
    We travel with a lot of meds and use multi day containers. We never had a problem with customs
    It would be good idea to take a prescription for all your meds in case you need more and if customs questions them

We have been through US and Jamaica customs several times and have never had a problem with prescription meds. They are ususally in the checked luggage though. I like to take just one container but, to be safe, I peel off the prescription labels from the original containers and stick them all on the one. 3 diferent meds in the bottle, 3 different labels on the container.

I have never had any problems with bringing my many meds back and forth from Jamaica, but in the future I will conform to the letter from the website , just to be safe. I would also mention that if there is ANY chance that you may need a "over the counter" med while in Jamaica, it might be a good idea to bring it with you. On one visit to CSS , I needed to buy an expectorant and was informed that it was only available by a Doctor's prescripition in Jamaica.

Many thanks to all who replied to this thread. Your information is greatly appreciated.