Default Current Sunscreen Prices at CSA

Like everyone else we are having the carry on only vs. checked luggage debate. Seriously the only reason we would check a bag is for sunscreen/aloe/lotion. Has anyone been to CSA lately and noticed the price of sunscreen? I know it is going to be more than the USA, but would like to be able to make an informed decision. Is the avoidance of a checked bag (and accompanying hassle) worth the price. Less than 45 days to go! Thanks everyone for your help!

I have read that the price for sunscreen at CSA (and probably all the Couples resorts) is VERY high... like most resorts.

I think I read something like $25 per bottle!?

I would bring your own...

I took 3 bottles of Sport (50) sunscreen. We had to buy another bottle the second to last day. (the sun was out everyday and I reapply many times; plus I keep my husband covered). We paid $16 for a similar sunscreen. I normally pay $10 to $12, so this wasn't too far out of line.......and we liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by shonntey View Post
    Like everyone else we are having the carry on only vs. checked luggage debate. Seriously the only reason we would check a bag is for sunscreen/aloe/lotion. Has anyone been to CSA lately and noticed the price of sunscreen? I know it is going to be more than the USA, but would like to be able to make an informed decision. Is the avoidance of a checked bag (and accompanying hassle) worth the price. Less than 45 days to go! Thanks everyone for your help!
    About 2x to 3x what you would pay at Target.

it was over 20$ US last year

Check one of your two bags. Put in the sunscreen, the bug-bite stuff, your large shampoo/conditioner (I don't love the stuff they provide), and half your stuff. Leave some room to bring home things you buy. The sunscreen is a bit more expensive than in your local drugstore, but not horribly so.

The sunscreen is expensive. We ran out last year and had to buy a can. I can'tremember the price exactly but it was pretty expensive. We are buying extra to bring this year. We check a bag. I would rather do that myself. We don't find it a big deal. We have 51 days to go! Can't wait to bask in the sun and enjoy the resort! It is an amazing place!
    Patty

We pack several spray cans and bottles of sunscreen in plastic bags to put in our checked luggage. Pack with them already inside your bag to allow for the weight. Spray cans don't usually weigh as much but lotion for the face is important. Any resort will charge you a high price for the things they sell that you forgot. You are a captive customer at that point. If our stay is a long one we have even brought a small suitcase to check with our sundries and shoes in it. International flights usually don't charge for the first 2 checked bags. Remember that the biggest thing that will ruin your vacation is a bad sunburn!

IMO, it's less expensive to check a bag than to buy sunscreen for two at the resort. If you do this, do it because of the convenience of traveling with carry -on only..... not because it will save you money.
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

We had to buy extra sunscreen this year too, but we had plenty of resort credits that we used for it.

We paid $21 USD for a spray can at CTI in February. It only lasted two days!
    Ken & Kathy
    Ohio

We check on 1 carry on size bag going to Jamaica, and pack our sunscreen in the checked bag. We carry on the other bag. If we have any sunscreen left we usually find someone who can use it, And carry on all of our bags going home. This avoids having to recheck bags on our layover going home. Going to Jamaica the bags go straight thru, so this saves us time and aggravation on the trip home.

Thank you everyone for your comments! I didn't remember a checked bag would go straight through to Jamaica. My only memory from our last time out of the states was on the way home getting our bag through customs and having to check it back in (Miami). I think we will go with maburr's advice and check one on the way down, and use only carry on's on the way back. We have learned that we rarely wear everything we have taken in the past and that what we can fit in a carry on is perfect. It's just the darn quart bag of liquid/gel thing! Hope to see some of you there in 37 more days!