Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 1st Timers At Sans Souci, Help!

Hi there~My husband & I are heading CSS in May and have alot of questions and concerns...
    I've read that delays are exspected with luggage, is this true?
    If you could tell me something not to forget to pack, what would that be?
    What does everyone do on Tuesdays & Fridays when it states that the restaruants are closed, or is this just for dinner?
    Are the menu's accurate or is there more available than shown online?
    Can you rent a car and drive yourself or you do always have to go as a group in a bus?
    Is there anything worth walking to or is it best to stay on the resort?
    If you tell us one thing not to miss, what would that be?
    Thanks so much for any input!
    Chris & Jennifer
    Ohio

Hi Chris and Jenny,
    Certainly you will be able to let go of any of your concerns -- you are going to just love CSS. It is one of our favorite Couples Resorts - We will be returning for 9 days beginning May 7th. Re some of your questions: We have been going to Jamaica 2-3 times a year for the last 5+ years and have never experienced any delays with luggage. Usually we are able to get through immigration rather quickly and head to the luggage area and then our luggage is there or within minutes.

There is a link that has lots and lots of posts re "Thing I wish I would have thought of" The "I wish I would have thought of that" thread that you may find helpful to check-out.

When the restaurants are closed it is usually because those are the nights that there is a special event, such as the beach party or gala, etc. There is always plenty to eat. I think the menu's on line are sample menu's but are typical. Usually change once within a week stay -- i.e. they rotate for some variety.

I would not suggest renting a car unless your plan is to do heavy sight-seeing. We usually enjoy most of our time at the resort as there are so many things to do/offerings. If you wish to go somewhere, you get a cab or utilize the tour desk. As we noted, for us we go to "our Jamaica" meaning we stay mostly at the resort. You will certainly want to go to Dunn's River Falls which is included in your stay, any may want to also go to Margaritaville and the shopping tour (also included). And enjoy the Catamaran cruise. We have taken and enjoyed the Horseback Plantation tour. And of course at the resort is Sunset beach. In the day it is AN, and then at sunset it opens to everyone. So we have never seen or have any desire to rent a car.

Hope some of this helps -- this is going to be a highlight trip for you. Enjoy...

Hi fellow buckeye fan. You will love CSS. Been there 3 times and going again in Sept. Now to answer questions:

Delays with luggage is like any airport. Luck (or bad luck) of the draw. Only had one luggage problem which was last trip in 2011. Luggage missed connection in Charlotte, both going and returning. It did finally showed up. Pack swimwear in carryon.

On Tues and Fri. they have the beach party and gala.

The menus do change.

I would not want to rent a car. You will know after you see the drivers on the road. In the van we have had up to 5 coulples, also we were the only couple once. It depends on how many people arrive at the same time.

We have never walked off the property, no need as there is plenty to do. There are days when vendors are on property.

If this is your first trip to Jamaica, then do Dunn River Falls on a Sunday when there are no cruise ships in port. Also we enjoyed doing the zip lines. They have a desk in the lobby with off-site activies. Check it out to see what interests you. There are quite a few to choose from. They provide the transportation for these activities.

Do not miss getting a massage.

rich
    ohio

No delays on baggage. They bring it to the room when they bring YOU to the room.
    Tuesday is beach party and Friday is the Gala. Restaurants closed for dinner since you'll be at the beach party and the Gala.
    The menu should be accurate online but I can't guarantee it. Always nice to look at them when you get there.
    You can rent a car if you wish.
    Nothing close by to walk to. Rent a car to go downtown or take the shuttle.
    Don't miss Dunns River Falls. Everyone should do this once!
    Don't go downtown when the cruise ship is in dock. 3000 people rushing around Margaritaville and Dunns River Falls isn't fun! Front desk can tell you when the ships are in dock.

CSS is so beautiful we hardly leave the resort. You'll love it!
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

Relax mon. Take a breath and try to think Jamaican...
    First the baggage issue. Bags usually come rather fast but you do have to wait to get through customs. That varies according to how many people (planes) arrive at that time. We have breezed through at times and had a long wait others. Luck of the draw but usually not that bad. Have $1 per bag for the handlers that take your bags to the bus.
    There are other chats on here for things I wish I remembered to bring so search for them.
    Tuesday is the Beach Party where they set up a large buffet dinner on the beach and Thursday is the Starlight Gala with foods from around the world set up buffet style on the great lawn and there is entertainment. You would not want to miss either. The menus on the site can vary somewhat. They are samples and not full menus. Buffet meals often change from day to say on various items.
    We have never tried to rent a car. Jamaican drivers can be aggressive if not erratic and the whole adjustment to driving on the left is daunting. Road conditions can also be a challenge. Walking along the roads on the narrow shoulders is not recommended for the above reasons. Car rentals can be expensive. Cabs are not for short rides. Off site excursions are available but once there you may not want to leave much. Dunns River trip is included but remember to bring water shoes. This is the biggest don't miss item as it is a top attraction in Jamaica. A shopping trip is also included. You can search online for things to do in Ocho Rios and get ideas on other off site activities available. We have done the Dolphin Cove trip and swam with the dolphins. It can be expensive but fun to do.
    My favorite activities are floating in the warm Caribbean waters on my chaise lounge floatie and drinking anything with rum in it...ya mon, irie!

I've read that delays are expected with luggage, is this true?
    Just like any airport, there can be delays. Anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes is normal. If the airport is busy, you will likely still be waiting in line at customs when your bags come out. This is not something to worry about.

There is a massive thread here called “I wish I would have thought of that”. Read through it and it will give you scores of ideas of what to pack.
    http://couples.com/mb/couples-main-m...ht-thread-354/

What does everyone do on Tuesdays & Fridays when it states that the restaurants are closed, or is this just for dinner?
    It’s just for dinner. Friday night is the beach party, and Tuesday night is the Gala. Both are outdoor events and food is served. You can also order room service these nights.

The menus are accurate, but are just samples. The menus change regularly. Last trip, in 11 nights I never ate the same thing twice.

Can you rent a car and drive yourself or you do always have to go as a group in a bus?
    Renting a car can be done. However, Jamaican’s don’t drive like the rest of us. Passing on blind curves, going up hills, and on the shoulder are all pretty common. Goats wonder into the streets.. There are pedestrians on main roads. Unless you’re an experienced international driver, I wouldn’t do it. I’ve seen places in the world where people drive worse (Cairo comes to mind), but not many. You can also get a private transfer from a Jamaican tour company. Figure around $110 for one way, $200 for both to and from the airport. Rates will vary though so get quotes. Just Google "Ocho Rios Airport transfer".

Not really. You can get a cab to take you into town for around $20-$25. The excursions desk will help you with this.

Don’t miss your flight to MoBay. Don’t ask me how I know…

S/F
    Scott and June

1. Delays can happen but I wouldn't expect them. I've never had a problem - except that time they left my luggage in Charlotte.

2. Sunscreen! Seriously bring at least 3 bathing suits - they dry slowly there.

3.There is a Beach Party on Tuesday night and a Gala on Friday night - so you eat there or you can have room service.

4. These are sample menus, but the ones in the restaurants will be similar. If you need changes or are a vegetarian/vegan you can always make special requests.

5. You can if you want, but it's much cheaper to just go with the resort.

6. Not much within walking distance

7. Many people say Dunns River Falls. Personally the thought of walking up slippery rocks never appealed to me, but many say it's a MUST do. I prefer to stay on resort and enjoy the amenities there - like the beach/pool and such. I am a lazy vacationer!

You'll love your trip to CSS - we're gearing up for our second - our 4th Couples trip overall. I cannot wait!
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

Come on, anyone? Please!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris&Jenny View Post
    Hi there~My husband & I are heading CSS in May and have alot of questions and concerns...
    What does everyone do on Tuesdays & Fridays when it states that the restaruants are closed, or is this just for dinner?
    Chris & Jennifer
    Ohio
    You will love CSS!!
    We did not have any trouble with our luggage and I even had a wedding dress.
    Don't forget the sunscreen! Pack light mainly bathing suits coverups and evening wear! Tuesdays and Fridays they have beach party and Gala with food. It is so much fun!
    I personally would not want to rent a car and explore on my own we only went off resort once to Margaritaville and I wanted to stay with our group. I would not feel comfortable on my own.
    Don't miss a sunset they are breathtaking! And a private dinner in the gazebo is truely romantic!
    Plus the Spa has services that cannot be beat!! Enjoy!

Hi, I am headed back to CSS in May as well (18-25). Last time I was there was on my honeymoon 11/2008. We did not run into any problems with waiting or delays in any travel. It was a pretty smooth process all around. One thing I was greatful for was a beach bag. Sometimes we would leave our room early in the morning for breakfast and not return til the late afternoon for a nap. We would pack our beach towels, sunscreen, glasses, books, goggles, chapstick with sunscreen, small umbrella for shaded walks or unexpected showers, ect. Tuesday is the beach party and Friday night is the Starlight Gala. They both start around 7 PM I believe. They serve dinner and have live entertainment. The restaurants are still open during the day for breakfast and lunch as usual. The menus online are only sample menus. And, from what I can remember, the room service closely resembles the Bella Vista/ Beach Grill but is a shorter menu. As for transportation, when I went we rode in a van with two other couples there and back. My husband and I are very private people and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. I have seen the additional option to have a private driver but I am not sure on the price. I would assume you do not have to take the Couples transportation, but it is just one more of the wonderful inclusions. I love not having to worry about it. Vacation starts when we land. The only time we did anything off the resort was our driver stopped at a place called the Coconut Tree on the way to the resort for a pit stop/refreshments/jerk chicken, and later we indulged in the Dunn's River Falls excursion included. Dunn's River was fun. We didn't exactly know what to expect but it was worth it, why not, it's free right? Plus it is an opportunity to see a small part of the surroundings.

One thing not to miss is each other. Sounds silly I know. Couples just oozes romance. Take the time to reflect on each other and enjoy the atmosphere together. Be spontaneous and do all the querky romatic stuff like walks on the beach at sunset and breakfast on the balcony wrapped in white robes watching the waves. Vacation can be really exciting for a list of different reasons and can sometimes shadow why you're there. Take time to have conversation with the staff, they are very sweet and interesting. Before you know it you will understand why everyone has the fever! 80 days left for me! Hope you have a wonderful time!

A: This is very dependent on how many flights came in at the same time as you, and what day you are arriving on. We’ve never found that we had to wait THAT long for our luggage. We’ve waited longer in the immigration line then we ever have for our actual luggage.

A: Underwear. (sorry, I thought you said “forget” something to pack, as in leave it at home). Don’t forget your camera! Once you get home, you will go through your pictures of your vacation more often then you’d think! It would be a shame if you forgot your camera and couldn't take pictures of your stay.

A: You can order room service up to a certain point (6:30pm I believe), so if you’d rather not attend the Starlight Gala, then you can eat in your room and enjoy each other’s company while everyone is out on the lawn. They typically have at least one other option available for those who do not wish to attend the main event that evening.

A: The menus change daily, and you can review what each restaurant will be serving for dinner on your way back to your room after spending the day on the beach. They’ll have the menus outside the restaurants (usually all 4 menus at each location).

A: We’ve never actually considered renting a car. The shuttle is free (aside from the tip for the driver), so we’ve never considered it. I'm not even sure they'd have a spot to park a rental car like that.

A: Definitely do the exploration of the resort. CSS has many paths that meander throughout the resort. You never know what you will find! Off property is up to you. We’ve never gone off property, but that is only because we love the resort so much that we want to spend every second there!

A: Sunsets at Sunset Beach. Get there early (like 9am early) and spend the day enjoying the beach beforehand.

Cheers, and have a great trip! You’ll love it!

Chris & Jennifer
    Ohio
    Luggage - if you check your luggage, you will need for it to be unloaded from the plane and retrieve it. I don't know of any other delay related to luggage. Customs still requires a bag check.
    Don't forget to pack a charger for your phone/camera/camcorder. Don't overpack.
    Menus vary - usually its a rotation so you shouldn't see the same menu more than once unless you always eat at the same restaurant
    Tuesday and Friday should be the outdoor parties, so dinner is outside
    You can rent a car - where are you planning on going? Its not worth it to go into town or Dunns River.
    Not much around CSS - stay on the resort at night for sure.
    Try everything! Its included and if you don't like it, try something else. Relax, enjoy.

Yes, your luggage may take a little while to get to your room. Your room may not quite be ready when you arrive either. Pack a change a warm weather clothes and sandals in your carry-on bag so you are comfortable as you wait by the bar or take the resort tour (which I HIGHLY recommend doing). Delays may be 5 minutes or half and hour, but once you get there, you really won't care too much. Pack just a few can't-live-without-essentials in a bag/oversized purse and you'll be fine. I always pack too much but am not really interested in paring it down either. I like choices. Best advice - bring comfortable and cute shoes you can walk around in. The grounds are so gorgeous, I always find myself taking the long path back to our room. The flimsy flip-flops I took one year were pointless. I always have a pair of beach sandals/crocs and a pair of wedges for evening attire.
    Tuesday night is the Beach Party buffet dinner and Friday night is the Gala, which includes a HUGE buffet dinner on the lawn. You can order room service instead, but I always enjoy both nights food and entertainment.
    The menus are fairly accurate, but there may be other choices.
    I do NOT recommend renting a car and driving yourself. If you really don't want to take the bus, which is not bad at all, you can hire a private driver or even a flight to Ocho Rios. Flying tends to be too expensive for us, but the private car was a bit quicker and more pleasant. I would rather spend my vacation dollars on excursions, spa treatments and Blue Mountain coffee than on a ride which I already have paid for (as part of your ALl-included price).
    We have always stayed on the resort unless going on an excursion and then let Couples arrange our transportation to and from without any problems.
    Read over the activities schedule when you arrive and see what calls you. I love the Grotto and like to spend time at the Mineral Pool on my "Spa Day". Try to eat at each restaurant. Lobster night (wed) is fabulous, make your reservations for dinner early if you have a preference for timing/outdoor/indoor seating. Try out SSB if you are so inclined. Relax. Order the drink of the day. Have an omelet made to order. Whatever you do, I am sure it will be fantastic!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CSS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    CN 2012
    CTI 2013

Never had a problem with luggage.
    Have pens for the customs forms on the plane both ways.
    we join the party on the beach and gala. You will make friends if you want to. If so it is fun to get a table together and party.
    menues change during the week, but the food is wonderful.
    They don't use big hisses but smaller 15 to 22 passenger vans. Again no problem. Taxi for short trips if you don't want to sit by me.
    we stayed on this resort, because we had already done dunns river. It is worth it.
    There is a what to pack thread that is really good. You can search it.

Never had a problem with luggage.
    Have pens for the customs forms on the plane both ways.
    we join the party on the beach and gala. You will make friends if you want to. If so it is fun to get a table together and party.
    menues change during the week, but the food is wonderful.
    They don't use big hisses but smaller 15 to 22 passenger vans. Again no problem. Taxi for short trips if you don't want to sit by me.
    we stayed on this resort, because we had already done dunns river. It is worth it.
    There is a what to pack thread that is really good. You can search it.

Hello Chris & Jennifer,

You're going to love CSS and we can't blame you for getting excited and wanting to get to know more before you go. With that we'll attempt to answer your questions:
    - Never had a delay with luggage on all our trips to Jamaica. It should get there when you do.
    - More than one swim suit. Unless you spend all your time on the AN beach you'll probably need them.
    - Restaurants are closed on Tuesday for the Beach Party and Friday for the Starlight Gala (plenty of food and selection).
    - There's always more...never less.
    - Driving in Jamaica is like the Daytona 500 meets demolition derby. Ride the bus and leave the driving to the pros.
    - There's not much within walking distance so stay on the resort and take the excursions.
    - On the resort: the Starlight Gala, off the resort: Dunn's River Falls.
    Chris & Jennifer
    Ohio
    Have an awesome stay at CSS!!!

Bart & Bug

1)Your luggage can be delayed on a connecting flight if you have a short layover but I wouldn't say that's expected. 8 trips and we've never waited on luggage.
    2)sunscreen and you husband's closed toe shoes for the nice restaurant
    3)the restaurants are closed for dinner and you have the beach party and gala instead. Open normal for other meals.
    4)there's much more available and they switch out midweek to a new menu
    5)my suggestion-unless you are used to driving on the other side of the road, DO NOT rent a car. Especially if it's your first trip to Jamaica, stick with the group travel or hire a driver to take you around.
    6)Not much to walk to...there's enough things to do on the resort or on the included trips.
    7)Dunn's River Falls trip

We went to CSS and loved it! You will have a great time!!
    We didn't have any troubles with our luggage
    Don't forget a waterproof camera! We didn't take one and wished we had.
    If I remember correctly Tuesday & Fridays they do something special, basically a huge beach party and the food is there.
    Didn't pay much attention to the online menu's.
    We didn't rent a car, the way some people drive down there scares me! I wouldn't want to drive there!!
    We did some excursions, but other than that stayed on the resort.
    Don't miss Dunns River Falls! Also, if you can, do the Luminous Lagoon. We booked it, but it started raining and we didn't get to go.
    You will have an amazing time no matter what you do!

Chris & Jennifer
    Ohio
    Baggage at MBJ is like any other airport, some times its quick and some times its slow. We have been to Couples 12 times and the longest we ever waited was 30 minutes but most times its about 15 minutes.

We pack to the weight limit, we bring what we want, as we like to get dressed up at night, but many other guests bring just a carry on. So its all good, do what you want , your in Jamaica. But don't forget sunscreen.

You will not lack for food. you will eat 3 square meals a day plus snacks, and there is always room service . I always leave the resort heavier than when I arrived .

The dinners on Tuesday and Friday are outdoors, one night is a party on the beach, the other is a party on the lawn. Following those meals they have a dance party by the SSB pool. Its a great time to dance under the stars. The other 5 nights they have Showtime followed by and dancing and a piano bar, near the balloon bar.. Its all good......

We generally stay on the property. we have done off property excursions. But I would not rent a car. I recommend you use the shuttle or a cab. As for driving they drive on the opposite side of the road from the US, not something I want to spend my time doing while I am on my vacation.

Menu's change once or twice a week, we always ask the staff what they recommend and often take their recommendation.

Do what you want... your in Jamaica and on vacation....

Stay up late, call room service, get a massage, have a Bob Marley, take the dance classes, Swim in all the pools, Play the games with the entertainment staff, learn to sail, ride a bike, nap on either the main beach or SSB if your so inclined, its your vacation and your choice, and if that is not enough there is off property where you can Golf, or tour Dunns River, or go Shopping, Horse Back riding , or swim with the dolphins.

All is good. You made a great choice, enjoy

Chris & Jennifer
    Ohio
    Hi Chris and Jennifer,

We always have carry on's and a checked bag. We have all essentials in the carry on.

The biggest mistake people make their first trip is overpacking. You will be living in bathing suits during the day and will dress for dinner, unless you plan to do excursions you don't need much in between.

The restaurants close for dinner on Tues for the Beach Party and Friday for the Friday night Gala which are both huge buffets, room service is still available.

I would NOT opt to rent a car in JA, the driving is a bit crazy there. Cabs or buses.
    There is really nowhere to walk to from CSS.

CSS is beautiful, the grounds are incredible. Dunns River is included and although commercial it is beautiful and a must do.

Enjoy your trip!

Marie
    CN 06, 07
    CSS 08, 10
    CN April 2013

welcome to CSS, we have been there 5 times, we will be back again 3/9. to address some of your questions, there is really no delays on the luggage, no different than if you were flying in the US. Don't forget to pack sunscreen and water shoes. Tuesday and Friday when the restaruants are closed they have special events, Friday is the GALA this is a MUST, the food is Awesome, and I believe that on Tuesday its the BEACH Party again a great event. The menus change all the time, so whats on line does not mean they have a limited menus. As for renting a car why would you want to leave the resort. There is so much to see and do, as for walking, well not sure we never leave. You don't want to miss the sunset on Sunset Beach and of course the GALA is my favorite thing at night. This resort is beautiful, why else would we keep coming back, This is actually our 13th trip to a Couples Resort we have been to all of them and are looking forward to our first trip to Barbados. You will love it, we are from Missouri and I am sure you are just as ready as we are for some HOT weather.

Nothing worth walking too!

Ken & Kathy
    Ohio

OK just left CSS for CSA today, so here is a very fresh set of thoughts......

No luggage delays at all either coming or going.

Bring plenty of good books.

The restaurants close those 2 nights because there are big communal buffets on the lawn by the beach. If you don't fancy being sociable you can simp,y order room service and the lovely servers will bring a four course meal and drinks to your room - all included naturally.

Menus are pretty accurate and are certainly indicative of the choices on any given night.

If you want to hire a car I can't imagine anyone would have either the inclination or the authority to stop you.

We stayed on the resort except one day when we went to Couples Tower Isle and really enjoyed ourselves. I know many others go to Dunn's River Falls and say its a good trip..

We went to a beautiful colourful Jamaican catholic mass at the nearby church. We were warmly welcomed and included. If church is your thing (you obviously wouldn't just go to gawp) I am told this welcome is true of other local denominations too.

We had a fab meal at Casanova. I had an awesome facial in the Spa done by Ruth: I highly recommend her.

Hope the ideas help. ������������������������������������������

Thank you, we'll be there May 14th-21st. Very helpful.

Oh my gosh, thank you everyone! You all have not only answered all my questions but def left us at ease! Thank you, I'm so excited.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast