Default Once upon a Nightmare

Now, before you think that this is a bad review about Couples, it is not. This post is solely an expierence we had when booking for Couples, through a provider through our favorite travel agent. We are just curious if anyone else has expierenced this type of situation while booking.

Last year, myself, my husband and another couple rushed down to our travel agent to book our 2013 trip to Couples during the Early Escapes 2013 promo which included a reduced rate, 7th night free, and $300 resort credit and and extra $200 credit if you stayed at CSS in the alloted time and room category. We were told by the provider that as of the April 17th cut off they had not yet received the Canadian rates. So, we questioned whether we should just book with Couples ourselves rather than take the chance in loosing the promo. We were assured repeatedly that the booking would be done correctly and the promo would be applied. So we booked for October a 1 Bedroom Beachfront Suite at CSS answere elated to get the great deal that Couples was offering. We were all so happy to get back as Couples holds a special place for all 4 of us as we had a vow renewal at CSA in 2011.

Upon reviewing our booking this year, we realized that not only did we not recieve the 7th night free or reduced rates, but the provider had booked us in the lowest room category at CSS and were being charged for the 1 Bedroom Beachfront Suite at the regular price. WHAT?!?!?

Long story short, our booking had to be cancelled because the provider could not fix it and we put up a stink. They offered to let us keep our booking with resort credits if we paid an additional $136 per couple. We called Couples, who were very helpful and wanted to rectify the situation, but their hands were tied and we fully understand why.

So, once upon a time, 2 couples were on their way to paradise and an evil witch (whom shall remain nameless), took it all away. Has anyone else had this much trouble before?

Just a side note, for a happy ending, we took advantage of a promo being offered now, and can happily that all 4 of us are currently booked at CN for 8 DAYS. We might be without the resort credits which is a shame, and even though the trail of breadcrumbs was eaten, we found our way back 'home'. YAH! See you in October!

No one is as vested in my vacation as I am; that's why I prefer to take care of the details myself. Especially when going someplace with which I am familiar, it just seems less problematic to do the booking myself. I know what I want, and I don't want someone's faulty memory or indecipherable notes to result in an error that creates a "nightmare" for me.

Glad you were able to rectify the error. Have a great time!
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I stick with the airline vacation packages. They are normally the best price and I can track what my travel agent is quoting. I really donít need a TA but go through a Couples approved agent so that they can do most the leg work for me. My TA almost missed notifying me on my final payment. I just happened to call the day it was due. Glad to hear you are able to head back to Jamaica.

Life is good

Yay! And just to add salt to the wound.........,,they kept our deposit! LOL!!! I'm def having that private dinner on the beach.We earned it!

Sorry that happened to you. Next time just book directly with Couples - you'll get the straight story every time! I've found that I don't save much if anything by going with a travel agent.
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

Default Book by phone. It`s sooo easy.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlynn View Post
    Now, before you think that this is a bad review about Couples, it is not. This post is solely an expierence we had when booking for Couples, through a provider through our favorite travel agent. We are just curious if anyone else has expierenced this type of situation while booking.

Last year, myself, my husband and another couple rushed down to our travel agent to book our 2013 trip to Couples during the Early Escapes 2013 promo which included a reduced rate, 7th night free, and $300 resort credit and and extra $200 credit if you stayed at CSS in the alloted time and room category. We were told by the provider that as of the April 17th cut off they had not yet received the Canadian rates. So, we questioned whether we should just book with Couples ourselves rather than take the chance in loosing the promo. We were assured repeatedly that the booking would be done correctly and the promo would be applied. So we booked for October a 1 Bedroom Beachfront Suite at CSS answere elated to get the great deal that Couples was offering. We were all so happy to get back as Couples holds a special place for all 4 of us as we had a vow renewal at CSA in 2011.

Upon reviewing our booking this year, we realized that not only did we not recieve the 7th night free or reduced rates, but the provider had booked us in the lowest room category at CSS and were being charged for the 1 Bedroom Beachfront Suite at the regular price. WHAT?!?!?

Long story short, our booking had to be cancelled because the provider could not fix it and we put up a stink. They offered to let us keep our booking with resort credits if we paid an additional $136 per couple. We called Couples, who were very helpful and wanted to rectify the situation, but their hands were tied and we fully understand why.

So, once upon a time, 2 couples were on their way to paradise and an evil witch (whom shall remain nameless), took it all away. Has anyone else had this much trouble before?

Just a side note, for a happy ending, we took advantage of a promo being offered now, and can happily that all 4 of us are currently booked at CN for 8 DAYS. We might be without the resort credits which is a shame, and even though the trail of breadcrumbs was eaten, we found our way back 'home'. YAH! See you in October!
    We also live in Southern ON. In 2012 we booked the Early Escape for Oct. 2013 at CN. This year we booked direct with the resort over the phone. Sooo easy. In Aug. Sept. and Oct. I checked flight costs and availability every day. Average cost from Toronto was under $500.00 each. If you don`t mind using different airlines, AirTransat has a 6 am flight on some days and AirCanada and WestJet have 3 or 4 oclock return flights. We will be doing the same this year for 2014. Only 241 more days til home.
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

I like to book directly with Couples on the website and this is one of the reasons why. It is very easy to figure out who to blame and look at the a$$ in the mirror if there are any booking mistakes!!!

This is exactly why I will always book myself. If I mess something up, I have only myself to blame. I used a travel agent for our first couples vacation and never again. She really had no idea what she was doing and because I went through her I missed out on a $100 guarantee for finding a lower price. $100 is nowhere close to your setback but it sure taught me my lesson.
    Last edited by irie i; February 27th, 2013 at 01:37 PM.

We had the same fears with working with a TA so we took the liberty of booking with Couples directly. We were even able to find a better rate than Couples was offering, through an online TA website, and Couples even matched their price. We ended up saving an extra $250 this way! I'd suggest this route to anyone that doesn't mind doing a little bit of the leg work on their own.

I agree with Pamela... Find the best deal on the net and pull the trigger. No third party to mess it up. When we went in February, we watched prices for months and when it was at its lowest we bought. I'm positive we got the deal of the year. We also live in southern ontario and we fly out of Detroit. The trip is extremely cheaper and we get to stay longer. We are already planning our next trip for December and right now a package from Detroit is almost half the price from Toronto.

Oh that sucks! I'm sorry that happened to you guys.

We book directly with Couples and never had a problem.

We have always had great experience booking with travel agents. We booked through our local travel agent a 7 night trip to Couples Negril last August. The thing I like about booking through a travel agent is that you always have someone local to communicate with if any problems arise. A good travel agent deals with all the pain-in-the-butt stuff that I don't want to deal with. She communicated with the airlines and the resort when I was nervous about traveling near a hurricane. It sounds like this was a case of a travel agent who can't do her job and doesn't value your business, I hope you complained to her supervisor!!!!

Thank you all very much for the feedback. Just wanted to make it clear, that it was the provider of the vacation, not our travel agent who had made the error. Our travel agent is the best. We have continued to book through her and not the provider anymore!
    Mary-Ann- Thank you for adding that they kept our deposit. Like you said, salt on the wound. Private Dinner for sure, and I think a few Bob Marley's are needed as well!!

That, sarahlynn, is why we've used the same travel agent for over 30 years. If she messes things up, I know where she lives!