Thread: Scuba info

Default Scuba info

Looking for information about scuba at SA and TI. Not certified yet.....questions we have are is it better to be certified prior to going? Start certification at home no finish there? Do not get certification at all but do the resort class and one dive for free? If you do the resort class on one resort is it good at another one if you are staying two weeks at two different resorts? Best time of year to visit if wanting to scuba? Are there any certifications for snorkeling? Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by SWJones View Post
    Looking for information about scuba at SA and TI. Not certified yet.....questions we have are is it better to be certified prior to going? Start certification at home no finish there? Do not get certification at all but do the resort class and one dive for free? If you do the resort class on one resort is it good at another one if you are staying two weeks at two different resorts? Best time of year to visit if wanting to scuba? Are there any certifications for snorkeling? Thanks for the help!
    I generally think the best approach is to do your classwork and pool exercises at home and then do the required 4 (I think it is still 4, it has been a while since I was certified) open water dives for your PADI certificate at Couples (I think they still do this). Depending on where you live, the 4 open water certification dives may be in a cold spring or where the visibility is not very good. I think diving is more fun in warm, clear water. If you can get your open water dives done as early as possible then you will have the rest of your vacation to dive everyday. I really don't think it matters much when you go diving in the Caribbean. There are no certifications for snorkeling - just float around, gently kicking and look at all sorts of interesting stuff.

I would get fully certified prior to the trip. I would hate to spend vacation time studying or doing pool work. If you do it all before you go it gives you time to address an issues that might arise during your training i.e. fear of breathing underwater or difficulty clearing your ears. Also, if you have any medical issues that require attention it would be best to do it at home prior to leaving. Be sure to look at the PADI medical form because you're required to fill it out at the resort prior to any scuba.

Snorkling requires no certs. Enjoy!

I went scuba diving at CSA 3 years ago & fell in love with it (I had never done it before). They did all the lessons in the pool there & then once you passed the simple test, they took you out for a dive. You can pay ($200 or $300) to get fully certified. I wanted too but it wasnt in our budget at the time. I dont know about where you live but it's about $500 to get certified where I live, so that was a good deal. I hope they have scuba at CSS because it was my favorite memory at CSA. it was so surreal and beautiful!! It is a totally different level from snorkeling! I would encourage anyone who is able to try it

From my experience, It is going to take you several days of class and diving to get certified on the resort. If you have the time to spend doing this, great. If you only want to dive once, you should just take the resort class. Yes, you will have to do this at each resort as they dont have any kind of documentation to say otherwise. I suggest getting the book done atleast before you go and then do your dives there if you dont have a place back home to do this. The place that does certification in my area costs about $300 (gear, book, dives included). It is a PADI lifetime certification.

We got certified at home before we went. We loved it so much that my husband got a part time job at our local dive shop.

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

Quote Originally Posted by bstanley03 View Post
    From my experience, It is going to take you several days of class and diving to get certified on the resort. If you have the time to spend doing this, great. If you only want to dive once, you should just take the resort class. Yes, you will have to do this at each resort as they dont have any kind of documentation to say otherwise. I suggest getting the book done atleast before you go and then do your dives there if you dont have a place back home to do this. The place that does certification in my area costs about $300 (gear, book, dives included). It is a PADI lifetime certification.
    It only took about 3 hours in the pool at CSA. And we had a group of about 4 couples. First you go through training video...then...We had to do a swim test, but you could take as long as you wanted. I think it was 4 laps (back & forth was 1 lap). Then they go with you underwater in the pool with all the equipment. They make sure you know what you are doing before going on the dive. This training is good for a one time dive with them. You then have the option of paying the $300 fee for the lifetime PADI certification if you want & I dont think there was any extra training, but I could be wrong. It was super easy at CSA!

Thank your everyone for the information. I think hubby has decided to take the resort class even if he has to do it at each resort. Since it will be just him he only wants to dive once since we are on a couples vacation. I'm not sure I am not sure I am ready for it. May try snorkeling this time and work my nerve up.

SW, my wife is the same way. I'm not giving up my diving, which only takes about 1.5 hrs total, so when I'm under, she's doing a yoga class or some other class. We snorkel together but I tell her, it takes more effort to snorkel than it does to dive. Diving is like flying. Try the resort class with your husband, even just the pool. That way you'll know. If there is a problem, just stand up. He's gonna be hooked! And you might be too.