Default Review from a first-timer at CTI!

Well, we just got back from CTI yesterday and I'm trying to not be depressed that it's over! I don't want to write a super-detailed review, BUT before my trip I really enjoyed reading the thoughts from other first timers.

FOOD
    OK this was my favorite part probably! I love to eat I was not disappointed by any meal we had all week. I wish we'd gone to Verandah more than once though, since you don't need reservations. I love variety so the breakfast/lunch/dinner buffet was great to me. Breakfast was somewhat repetitive every day but delish nonetheless. Room service was so nice to have and it took no more than 30 minutes each time we did it. The variety of desserts was great! The beach party on Monday was awesome too - all other restaurants are closed that night. The pool grill was nice to have for a snack and I loved there was a soda fountain and soft-serve! Be sure to know they will put cheese on your tortilla chips if you don't want the salsa that's sitting out.

ENTERTAINMENT/NIGHTLIFE
    This wasn't a draw for me, so we only went to the shows a couple of nights. The beach party night entertainment was great - my husband and I actually won the dance contest!! The "Steel Birds" entertainment night was the other than we went to & they were really talented!

ALCOHOL
    ohhhh the yummy tropical drink goodness! I tried many different drinks all week and liked every single one. Our faves were Miami Vice, Hummingbird & Rum Punch. It did occur to us about halfway through the week that if you want a top shelf drink, you have to ask for it; first-timer naivety. We signed up for Romance Rewards and did the pre-request minibar and it was a thrill to have our goodies in our room when we arrives However we didn't drink nearly as much in-room as we thought we would!

ACTIVITIES
    No doubt, our favorite inclusion! We are not lay-on-the-beach-all-day folks. We did just about every included activity at least once. Our favorite was probably scuba. It was my first time and I found the pool lesson to be INCREDIBLY helpful and our instructor Douglas was patient and explanatory. The 4-lap prerequisite pool swim was a hard surprise, but scuba was nowhere near as aerobic-inducing so don't let the pool swim scare you! The only off-site thing we did was Dunn's River Falls and it was SO FUN! Loved it. Don't bring anything you don't want to get submerged.

ACCOMMODATIONS
    We had the basic room garden view, and luckily ours was on the 1st floor close to the lobby. We met some people who were on the top floor in a distant building, and I don't know if there was an elevator. Either way they would have a really long "quick run" back up to the room. The room wasn't fancy, but it did have a king bed, walk-in shower, and large balcony with nearby hammock in the garden. Be sure to bring some slippers, because the floor gets sandy and it sticks to your feet, gets in your bed, etc. Plus the tile is cold Housekeeping was very good but they don't clean the floors. I found the mattress to be really hard. Cable TV was a great plus! Ceiling fan was also great to help move air to dry out wet clothes.

SERVICE
    I had a hard time understanding the Jamaicans about half the time but it was just fine! Restaurant servers were great. Most of the bartenders weren't overly friendly, nor was the front desk staff but they got the job done. The activities team members were fun & friendly. All in all, just talk to the people & make conversation and you will be fast friends!

It was so convenient to have airport transfers included. The driver on the way to CTI was pretty daring, but the one on the way back to the airport seems safer (and it was a bigger van).

We did not go to the AN island, the spa, golf, tennis, or do any extra cost activities. Also we did not get to Eight Rivers

I probably left out some stuff so if you have questions just ask!

Thank you this really helps me for my husband and I traveling to CTI in June!!

Great review! My wife and I are there end of April. We are VERY excited!

This is SO HELPFUL!

A couple questions, as a soon to be first timer!
    1. How many beach cover ups did you bring? I read a lot that those are pretty much standard wear for ladies on the beach and pool side.
    2. How many swimsuits did you bring? I heard that 2 is not enough. I'm pondering if I need to buy a third!
    3. I know I need water shoes for the Dunn tour. I was planning on bringing either sandals or flipflops for the beach and some nice shoes for dinner. Do I need more shoes than that?

So far, beach cover ups confound me. Some places, they are a see-through robe. Other places, they are a long flowy maxi dress. I want to be comfortable but I also want to get some sun. No idea how many or what kind I need.

Thank goodness for this forum!

Default Review

58 days to go and we will be at CTI as first timers also! Can't wait.

The actual numbers depend on how many days you are there.
    1- In general, I bring a couple more cover ups than I do suits.
    2-I bring 3-4 suits.
    3-Those are all the shoes you need unless you want to work out and need to bring your tennis shoes.

As far as the type of cover up, I think its entirely up to you. At the buffet you need a coverup but at the grill and veggie bar you can be in your suit. Once I get to the beach I don't put my cover up on unless I am going back to my room or to eat. There is no reason to have a cover up on when soaking up the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by CareAway View Post
    This is SO HELPFUL!

A couple questions, as a soon to be first timer!
    1. How many beach cover ups did you bring? I read a lot that those are pretty much standard wear for ladies on the beach and pool side.
    2. How many swimsuits did you bring? I heard that 2 is not enough. I'm pondering if I need to buy a third!
    3. I know I need water shoes for the Dunn tour. I was planning on bringing either sandals or flipflops for the beach and some nice shoes for dinner. Do I need more shoes than that?

So far, beach cover ups confound me. Some places, they are a see-through robe. Other places, they are a long flowy maxi dress. I want to be comfortable but I also want to get some sun. No idea how many or what kind I need.

Thank goodness for this forum!
    Juell and Andy (Jandy)

Awesome!

We are heading there May 10th-17th!

Thank You for your review! My husband and I are 35 sleeps from our first trip to CTI. We are so excited! I am planning on taking in the Spa... any recommendations?

Sk8terMom, my fiancee and I are getting there a few days after you. See you then!

I always wear for my coverup, a slightly above knee length tank dress, the real thin material type... they have them in Eddie Bauer's catalog and I have them in all colors, perfect for throwing over the swimsuit to walk down to breakfast or to lunch. They also double as attire for dinner with some nice jewelry and sandals. I also have a couple of the breezy see-thru and they are perfectly acceptable too... you'll see it all and everything is okay. I wouldn't wear the maxi dresses as a coverup... too hot.. I save those for dinner attire.

Great! I cannot wait to connect with new friends. Meet you soon CareAway!

Taking my first trip to CTI in June and your review makes me know I chose wisely.