Default ***Was this weather normal?***

My husband and I are booking our 3rd trip to Jamaica in September but as it stand now we will be doing a separate vacation because we can't agree on a resort. We ere married at CSA and we loved it, in particular I loved the beach. This last trip we went to Ochoa Rios in November/December sadly to an non couples resort and paid the price it was terrible. Despite the resort being terrible again it wasn't couples, the weather was really cold. I'm Canadian and not a wimp when it comes to cold weather but it was really cold to the point where we were wrapped in towels on the beach, and never went into the pools. The wind made it even worse. I'm just wondering if this was a fluke and the two weeks that we were there a cold front moved in or is this normal for this part of the island. There wasn't one day that I could even say I was hot. My husband really wants to do CSS or CTI, but I just keep remembering how cold it was. Our first trip to CSA was in July and we did have a tail of a hurricane hit us but it was nothing like Ocho Rios. I don't really have anything to compare it to because it was the first time we went during the winter.

Loved the scenery and the general vibe of Ocho Rios but I missed the beaches and weather of Negril.

Any information would be wonderful!

We took our first trip to Couples to CTI for my wifes b-day in November (first week of November) and the weather was fine. Not overpoweringly hot, I'd say it probably averaged low to mid-80s (Fahrenheit, so say about 26-30C) and we were comfortable the whole time.

Sounds like you may have had the misfortune of a cold front moving through during your non-Couples trip. Was it this year you went? If so, you had to deal with aftermath of Sandy which went through the Caribbean in late October...

I'd say go for it, CTI is a wonderful resort!

Jason
    CTI again in 122 days!

Around 6 years ago we were at Couples Tower Island and had almost the same bad luck weather. The first day I walked around with a sweat shirt on, and even though it did warm up some, it wasn't the sunny toasty weather we had planned on. We always stay on the Negril side now, it seems that side of the Island has better luck with weather!

We've been to CSS twice... both in April/May, so although I cannot comment on the Nov/Dec weather, I can say that both times we went it was beautiful.

Our first trip to Jamaica was to CN in January 2005. We had maybe two really nice days. Most of the time it was rather cool and the wind blew like crazy, when we asked about the wind, because that's what made you feel really cold, we were told that they were December winds. We did get into the pool but it was rather cool and couldn't stay there long. We've never gone back in January, but do try to go back at least once a year, usually April or May and the weather is beautiful.

I don think it happens often but it happened to us in 09 in March. We had way more rain and I actually got cold on the beach too. We had about 2 nice days but with not much sun. Disappointing but not much you can do about it but make the best of it. Hubby won't go back to Ochi ( I know not fair). We've always been blessed with pretty nice weather in Negril, fingers crossed! Hopefully that was the last time being cold in Jamaica, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    My husband and I are booking our 3rd trip to Jamaica in September but as it stand now we will be doing a separate vacation because we can't agree on a resort. We ere married at CSA and we loved it, in particular I loved the beach. This last trip we went to Ochoa Rios in November/December sadly to an non couples resort and paid the price it was terrible. Despite the resort being terrible again it wasn't couples, the weather was really cold. I'm Canadian and not a wimp when it comes to cold weather but it was really cold to the point where we were wrapped in towels on the beach, and never went into the pools. The wind made it even worse. I'm just wondering if this was a fluke and the two weeks that we were there a cold front moved in or is this normal for this part of the island. There wasn't one day that I could even say I was hot. My husband really wants to do CSS or CTI, but I just keep remembering how cold it was. Our first trip to CSA was in July and we did have a tail of a hurricane hit us but it was nothing like Ocho Rios. I don't really have anything to compare it to because it was the first time we went during the winter.

Loved the scenery and the general vibe of Ocho Rios but I missed the beaches and weather of Negril.

Any information would be wonderful!
    All I can say is my first trip to Jamaica was to Ocho Rios, since then I have been to couples Negril and have never even thought of going to that side of the island again. That had to have been a fluke in temp. However, the prevailing winds will be in your face most of the time during that period.

Fluke. September is not my favorite month to visit Jamaica, but not because it's too cold! It is usually hot, humid, and can be pretty rainy.

Try Couples Negril !!!
    Art xo Francine

Thanks everyone, you did make me feel better (misery loves company). We went December 2011 for 2 weeks our 2012 trip fell through because I was injured at work, so I really need this next one to go right. I don't have much of a choice for vacation time where I can take blocks off so I'm stuck with September-December (beginning of Dec). Are there any better time to go during those months? I know about hurricane season and rain, as we had a nice taste of the tail of dolly when it it rolled in the day before our wedding. But I'm sure that wont happen again knock on wood.

The trip in December was pretty bad and it wasn't just the weather that ruined it. I now appreciate couples no tipping policy, I've never been in a situation where you had to tip everyone to get service. The weather was really cold and the winds made it that much worse. Ironically as we stepped off the bus at the airport on the way home it was sadly like stepping into a sauna (I was bitterly hoping everyone was as cold as we were). I think we had two sunny days the rest overcast, rainy, windy, and cold. It was so cold they couldn't keep the hot tubs hot or even warm rather but I think this was more the non couples resort fault than the weather because we can keep our hot tubs hot in our Canadian winters.

We learned our lesson 1. Only travel to Couples resorts 2. Pack warm clothes if going to Ocho in December.

Hopefully I can convince him to try CN or maybe even go back to CSA.

Our first trip to Couples was to CSA. Weather was great. The next year we went to San Souci. Weather was not the greatest. More rain than we had experienced the year before and cool temps. Thought perhaps should stick to Negril side for better weather which we have since. Have since gone to Negril and some years have experienced more rain and less than stunning sunsets. By the way always travel Feb/Mar. I am happy to just be in Jamaica at our fav Couples resort.No amount of cloud,wind or rain can compare to being in Canada in Feb/Mar.

Karen the general manager that use to be at CN told us as she has lived in Jamaica her entire life, that the weather is better on the Ocho side in the summer, and better on the Negril side in the winter.

We have been many times to Negril and Ocho in November and it was always beautiful.

Several trips in Late January also and it was beautiful.

A couple trips to Nassau and Cancun in January and the pools were cold

Ok so I'm trying to sum this up in September in Ocho Rios we should be fine temp wise, and it will have better weather? But if we ever go in the winter again we should stick to negril?

I'm just wondering because my husband really wants to try CTI, so if its generally hot and humid that time of year we should be ok? Does it get less rain that in negril or in the summer or what's the deal?

Oh VERY IMPORTANT question, will I be able to hear tree frogs from my room at night like in Negril (we never heard them at all at the last resort we went to)?

The temp is fairly steady throughout the year - what changes is the humidity (highest in July, August). We have been to both Negril and Ocho in January, March, April, May, August and December. Weather isn't guaranteed so sometimes it's just good or bad luck. Even the rainiest months may not get any rain while you're there.

The one big difference between Ocho and Negril is where the weather comes from. Since Ocho is on the north side of the island, they are not as protected from incoming storms as Negril, which sits on the western corner. This is why that more often at Ocho than Negril you will have white caps that close watersports and the island, even if the sun is shining.

Yes, Ocho has plenty of tree frogs - no worries, mon! Happy to share our CTI pics over the years so you can see the weather/water conditions - amy.welch@hotmail.com

Averages for Jamaica:
    Rain
    Name:  rain avgs.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  24.4 KB

Temp
    Name:  temperature avgs.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  27.5 KB
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

We always go to CTI in the first half of October. while there can be a bit of rain the temeratures are really good and the water is warm. we went back for a few days at Christmas and had bad weather and the water was not warm. I think it was just a bad patch of weather and winds.

Default Our experience

In Dec 2011 we had 7 in CSS then 7 in CN. It rained and stinking cold every day for more than half of each day in CSS. It was sunny and warm every day in CN. Weather coming off the mountains can really pour the rain. We go to the Ocho earlier in the year now. It may have been a fluke, but it would take a heck of a deal to bring us back to Ocho side in December. ...but any day being served drinks in Jamaica is better than a day working.

We have been to CTI twice in September and had glorious weather both times. The most recent visit, out of 9 days, we had rain once. We can hear tree frogs from the Deluxe Ocean rooms in building 4 and 5 especially. We love them.

We honeymooned at CTI in Sep. of 2010- arrived on 9/20 and departed a week later. The weather was plenty warm enough and we even had a tropical depression that rolled through. We found it entertaining with how quickly it could go from sunny to thunder and lightning. Although we didn't spend much time in the sea because it was pretty rough, there was plenty of fun to be had at the swim-up bar. If you're booking in September, don't forget to book trip insurance. We booked ours through AmFam's contracted company and have fantastic (cancel for any reason) options...plus it's cheap! This September we're trying CN. Fingers crossed for hot and humid weather there too! Have a great trip! You'll love CTI!

Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    Ok so I'm trying to sum this up in September in Ocho Rios we should be fine temp wise, and it will have better weather? But if we ever go in the winter again we should stick to negril?

I'm just wondering because my husband really wants to try CTI, so if its generally hot and humid that time of year we should be ok? Does it get less rain that in negril or in the summer or what's the deal?

Oh VERY IMPORTANT question, will I be able to hear tree frogs from my room at night like in Negril (we never heard them at all at the last resort we went to)?
    We've been to CTI in August (not a single drop of rain) and October (one trip with 3 days of on and off rain, the other with one morning of rain) and CSS in September (one morning of rain). It is hurricane season, but that would affect the whole island, not just one part.

You definitely hear tree frogs at CTI, and if you have an ocean facing room, you can have the doors open and listen to the waves!

From what I know, Ocho Rios can be more windy than Negril.

We frequently go to CSA for the US Thanksgiving, and have had outstanding weather....Maybe you should try that....but go to CN if you want something different from your original vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaugherty View Post
    In Dec 2011 we had 7 in CSS then 7 in CN. It rained and stinking cold every day for more than half of each day in CSS. It was sunny and warm every day in CN. Weather coming off the mountains can really pour the rain. We go to the Ocho earlier in the year now. It may have been a fluke, but it would take a heck of a deal to bring us back to Ocho side in December. ...but any day being served drinks in Jamaica is better than a day working.
    ddaughtery we must have been in Ocho Rios the same time as you in Eecember 2011, I swear after those two weeks we will never return to Ocho Rios in December! Like I mentioned before I'm use to the cold, but never did I imagine I would be wrapped up in blankets on the beach! It was crazy when we landed in Mobay it was hot but by the time we were in Ocho Rios you could immediately feel the temperature change. Then on our way home we left on a chilly day and hopped off the bus is Mobay to board our plane and it was hot!

Right now I'm torn between CTI an CN, but I know we really missed the Negril beach so who knows what will win. I need so someone to choose for me!

Thanks for the advice regarding hurricane insurance, we never travel without it. We did have the tail of a hurricane swat us when at CSA. Talk about sudden change in weather it went from sunny to a bit of rain to full blown winds within minutes. Lesson learned: when resort staff start to run, get your butt moving too and follow them!

As for the tree from frogs they drove me nuts the first night but by night two I loved them. We didn't hear them at all during our last trip and that was disappointing. When I work nights The respirators make a chirping noise that sounds like them and all I do is think about Jamaica which is why I go to work, no other reason.

CTI june 30 to july 8 how is the weather on the north side of the island. Been to CN and CSA three times during that period and a period of rain each day