Default Trip insurance after booking

My fiancé and I will be going on our honeymoon during "hurricane season". August 25 to September 1. We have already booked our room/flight. I have read a lot of stuff regarding trip insurance. I've found that most people think it's cheaper to book this through Couples versus a travel agent. Since we've already booked, is it too late? Or can we still purchase this on the website, or by calling the 1-800 number?

It's worth us to buy the insurance, and we've already made that up in our minds about that, so I don't need advice on that. But now what we need to know, is how do we buy it? Wish we wouldn't have done this backwards, but when we booked, we did it over the phone so that we could book the PBFS and they didn't mention it to me.

Help!

Quote Originally Posted by whitneybri View Post
    My fiancé and I will be going on our honeymoon during "hurricane season". August 25 to September 1. We have already booked our room/flight. I have read a lot of stuff regarding trip insurance. I've found that most people think it's cheaper to book this through Couples versus a travel agent. Since we've already booked, is it too late? Or can we still purchase this on the website, or by calling the 1-800 number?

It's worth us to buy the insurance, and we've already made that up in our minds about that, so I don't need advice on that. But now what we need to know, is how do we buy it? Wish we wouldn't have done this backwards, but when we booked, we did it over the phone so that we could book the PBFS and they didn't mention it to me.

Help!
    I'd go ahead and call the 800 number. Very helpful folks. One thing to keep in mind with the couples insurance (which tends to be less expensive) is that if your trip is canceled, your remedy (payment) is made in Couples resort credits. Not a real issue if you're a Couples junkie. Commercial policies pay you back in cash and can be purchased with "cancel for any reason" clauses. Again, more $$$ for these types of policies.

S/F
    Scott and June

You can still purchase it - just not cancel any reason typically. Search on line - biggest players are Allianz and American Express for Jamaica; we paid $176 for our trip April 27th - and just purchased it. Be sure to read certificate of coverage and enjoy your Jamrock Honeymoon

we booked before without the insurance and decided later( maybe a couple weeks or more) that we wanted it and called the 800 # to add it and had no problem. That was just this past year so try and see. Enjoy your trip!! We always get the insrurance "just incase"! you never know!!

If you booked through Couples, then you can call the 800 number and add it. If you booked it elsewhere, then you need to call them. Couples can only sell you insurance if you booked directly through them. If you booked your flight and hotel separate, you will need to contact the airline to get flight insurance. There are some companies that are separate from both the hotel and airlines that you can purchase through, I don't have a contact for you, but I bet someone else will. The thing to look for is cancel for any reason up to the day of flying.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Your travel agent can get you trip insurance.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

We usually purchase travel insurance separately anyway because we book the hotel and flight separate (hotel much before flights are available...). We use Travel Guard and have been getting their Savvy Traveler policy. Just about $100 for the pair and has the basic reason covered (hurricane or sickness...). We have not had to actually submit a claim from Travel Guard, so can't give feedback on this.

You won't be able to get the cancel for any reason policy because this would need to be purchased within a week or two of booking the trip. I do recommend purchasing the insurance.

Just adding my two cents… read the fine print very carefully. I am 99% sure (and called couples directly to confirm) even if you purchased both the flight and the hotel with couples the airline part is NOT refundable. Depending on the airline you use, you can usually spend about $100 and save the money spent on a future flight within a year or whatever. It is possible they have different insurance levels available but this was the one for $90 per person ($180) at the time of booking. So basically the $180 means that you get the full amount of your couples resort back. If you look into their policy it is something LIKE 45+ days you get a full refund anyway, 30+ days it costs you $400 then 14+ days then 50% (I forget the details now)… I know I am going against the crowd here but honestly I think it is the same thing as “extended warrantees” on products… company’s make more money than consumers do on them. YES there is the rare occasion it is money well spent but overall, the insurance is not used and in my personal opinion not worth it… Just look into the fine print before you commit.

Quote Originally Posted by whitneybri View Post

Help!
    Hi Whitney,

Please beware that sometimes airline flights are not included in that type of insurance. We do offer coverage that will include all of your non-refundable travel costs at up to 40% off at TripInsurance.com. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to call us at 877-219-8169 (even if you don't end up buying from us).

Have a great trip!
    TripInsurance.com team

Trimada: Yes, the trip insurance on the Couples website is for the resort only. Not your airfare. We did buy it as I don't want to lose the entire amount of our resort charge in case something happens. I don't need a refund per se, resort credit for a future visit is fine (if we had to cancel, we would re-schedule). For the airfare, we would have to pay the change fee and any difference in fare when we re-booked. We have done that many times so not a huge issue for us. The huge chunk for the resort was a bigger deal to "cover". I still think it's worth the $180 since it is a cancel for any reason insurance. My hubby's job is unpredictable so if we canceled, it would be last minute.

Don’t get me wrong, the insurance is not a bad thing in certain circumstances, in your case it seems to work well. I was just pointing out; unless you read the fine print clearly, you might be very disappointed. If someone pays $180 thinking they can just change their mind 4-5 days prior and they will just get a full refund on everything they will be very disappointed. Me personally… at this point, nothing is going to stop me from going, a last minute hurricane during my trip just means I have the resort to myself