Default Couples Negril first timer's review Feb 2013

Our first day.

First off we would like to thank contributors of this forum, the information found here helped us to decide which resort to visit, in turn we had the most memorable and amazing vacation.

We arrived in Jamaica around 7am, walking the the terminal you really feel the humidity, customs was quick and we found the Couples lounge easily. The lounge was very welcome, we checked in, and were offered a cold drink, changed, and were loaded up and on our way in 20 minutes.
    We have been to Jamaica once before and knew how crazy the drive can be, we settled in and took in more of the sites this time, the town of Lucea was very unique. The drive took 75 minutes.

Arrival was very exciting for our first time, you are met with a glass of champagne, fill out a few forms, a quick chat about the resort, get an eta on your room, you can have a bite to eat, grab a drink, we did a quick change and bolted down to the beach, threw our bags down and jumped into the ocean, that feeling is hard to put into words, 10 months of waiting and planning, not knowing what to expect, you are now here, in the moment...the smiles just got bigger as the week went on!

We found a lounger and took some time to ground ourselves, you then take a real look at your surroundings and see how picturesque the enviroment is...very surreal
    Our room was ready in two hours, we had an ocean view suite #9308. this room overlooks the AN beach, the first few days were awkward for us, not knowing if we should be out on the balcony or not, in short time the awkward feelings left and this just became part of the gorgeous view we had everyday! AC works, plumbing works...off to the beach

The ocean was different shades of turquoise, so clear, warm..and salty.
    The swimming area had buoys separating resorts, AN area, and keeping wave runners away from people, lots of room for a nice swim
    Finding a lounger was not an issue for the duration of our stay.
    When we were on the beach the sandals were off, the sand felt so good, the beach area is kept very clean, staff started raking every morning around 7am, washing floaties on the loungers, raking leaves...

We spent the rest of our first day working on our tans, swimming in the ocean, and people watching... all too soon the sun went down.

We spent most evenings at the Cassava Terrace, the food and service for us was very good, never waited more than a couple minutes to be seated, the lighting is very dim this can be difficult to even read the menu. The evening entertainment was not for us, we anticipated more Jamaican lifestyle entertainment, more reggae music, having these bands play and sing North American songs was for us disappointing, the entertainment highlight was the steel drum band, very energetic and fun.

After being up for 37 hours we ended our day with a very quiet walk back to our room, nothing had to be said, at this moment we were in paradise.

The first time experience for us really overloads our senses and emotions, you will of course have the same if not more excitement and appreciation the second time, but experiencing everything for the first time is unique, for example, the AN beach for the first time does not stir the same anxiety and excitement the second time. This first day experience on this resort cannot be truly shared or understood by anyone else, its a feeling, which you just experienced with the love of your life.

Great post! We have been to Negril twicw and are going back in Dec. I cant tell you how many times we meet people at Couples Negril that say they wished they knew about Negril before. They say it is the best of all the Couples Resorts. I am afraid to go any where else and be let down. The activity personal are top notch and the self serve bar on the beach is awsome. We wanna move there. 9 months is a long wait.

Awesome review. I will say you capture the exact feeling that brings us back at least once a year (more when extra $$ is laying around). We will be there in a few days (4) can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    we did a quick change and bolted down to the beach, threw our bags down and jumped into the ocean, that feeling is hard to put into words, 10 months of waiting and planning, not knowing what to expect, you are now here, in the moment...the smiles just got bigger as the week went on!
    Loved this line you wrote!!

We have been trying to plan next year's vacation, so many places we want to visit, we now compare all our choices to couples, I really do get why they have so many repeaters...

Posted my last message too early I lurked around this forum quite a bit before we left to Negril, could not understand why people would go the same resort so many times, must be old fuddy duddies at these resorts, not very adventurous, old boys club...you get the drift. We would never go to the same resort twice or even imagine 3,4,5, times, we were different.... Never say Never, I know we will return sooner rather than later.

Great post Canuck. I totally agree on your first time comment, but anxiously awaiting our 5th trip in a row to CN 233 long days, I still am awe struck, every time I get off the shuttle, get that big smile and welcome home, and the view through the lobby to the Ocean. The one thing I miss at Couples Swept Away, is that view through the lobby to the Ocean, it just grabs you at CN.

Just to add one more thing about returning guests to CN- There is this pull that I can't explain. I can't stop thinking about the place. I am literally drawn back to it. Counting the days till we return in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnmariann View Post
    Just to add one more thing about returning guests to CN- There is this pull that I can't explain. I can't stop thinking about the place. I am literally drawn back to it. Counting the days till we return in June.
    Agree 100% with this statement. Start thinking about going back the moment we leave and have trouble thinking of anything else until we get back. There is some kind of magic there that is addictive!