Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: not a fan

Default not a fan

first of all i love couples resorts. ive bee to csa and cti and will continue to visit couples resorts every year. r last trip was to cti in january of 13 and i loved everything but one thing...... the nightly singers. i didnt like the fact that it was jamaicans singing american songs. i love reggae music, bob marley, and the island of jamaica. and so when im in jamaica its because i want to escape my everyday life. im not saying it has to all bob marley but less american songs. i hope someone high up the chain reads this. im just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by cdspieth View Post
    first of all i love couples resorts. ive bee to csa and cti and will continue to visit couples resorts every year. r last trip was to cti in january of 13 and i loved everything but one thing...... the nightly singers. i didnt like the fact that it was jamaicans singing american songs. i love reggae music, bob marley, and the island of jamaica. and so when im in jamaica its because i want to escape my everyday life. im not saying it has to all bob marley but less american songs. i hope someone high up the chain reads this. im just sayin.
    I feel exactly the same way!!! Hope this does get to management.

The steel drum band in Negril does their take on popular music...I love that, but I guess that is a bit different.

But hey, Bob Marley did a fine job with Eric Claptions "I Shot The Sherrif." (just kidding, folks )

We have run into this and commented on it in the past. Not just at CTI but all of the resorts. I believe the problem is partly that Couples has so many talented people trying to showcase their many talents and unfortunately they at times forget we are there for an island experience more than the latest in entertainment. I am sure they do get bored doing the same reggae songs night after night, week after week, and month after month but we are there for a short time hoping to hear them as we usually don't get that at home. What makes our vacation evenings very special are a nice Jamaican meal followed by a few rum drinks and some reggae music. Ya mon...irie. Throw in a night with the Silverbirds steel band and I am in rasta heaven. Can't wait for April and our seventh year back in a row!

Quote Originally Posted by cdspieth View Post
    ​I agree 100%.

I agree, I'd prefer more Jamaican music. I suspect we don't get more of it because management has determined, or believes, that the majority of guests prefer "American" songs.

They could be right for all I know.

I too have thought the same thing...I realize the desire to make us comfotable, with the familiar songs, but would like to experience more of the Jamaican flavor. Give me some real raggae music..

I tend to agree with you. Bring on more steel drum music. Sing more of the traditional raggae music. We get enough of the American music at home. Vary the entertainment a bit with a mix of new (not too much), traditional, and some America music (with a raggae spin on it).

Coming back home soon.
    Jens and Sue

agreed

Just returned from Negril...same situation, went back to the room to enjoy Bob Marley on the tv

What American songs?
    "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain" - Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimebrad View Post
    What American songs?
    Everything from doo-wop to Ke$ha. I think a strictly Reggae line up would put a lot of travelers out of their element, especially if the songs weren't featured on "Legend".

That said, we'd LOVE to hear ONLY Reggae over the bar speakers. We can deal with the cabaret at night.

Back when we first started our vacations to CN (back in 2004), the house band was Tech Force, and they were great. The music wasn't too loud and it was a low key jazz/guitar during dinner, then it would get more lively during Showtime with a mix of pop, classic standards and reggae/dance hall.

Now it seems the trend is to have loud music during dinner and then even louder pop/top 40/disco during Showtime. I'm not too old -- I just like to be able to hear the person sitting next to me during dinner and maybe drag my husband out to the floor for a little slow dancing.

Many of the singers are extremely talented and I'm sure they don't want to sing "One Love" one thousand times, but after making fourteen trips to CN, we don't ever want to hear "I Will Survive" ever again. The Silver Birds are indeed the highlight of the entertainment. What a wonderfully talented group of kids!

As many have said -- it doesn't have to be Bob Marley. I would love to hear tunes from Tarrus Riley, Jah Cure, Beres Hammond, Alaine, Marcia Griffiths, Queen Ifrica, Morgan Heritage, Jimmy Cliff. Then lively it up with some (clean) current dancehall.

The coolest thing I heard on our last trip in December and our one night in Cassava: House DJ had Toumani Diabate (The Mande Variations) playing during dinner. LOVED it.

Last thought...perhaps the entertainment is a reflection of Couples marketing to the younger American guest. This trend seems to be more prevalent in everything I'm seeing. (or maybe I am just getting old....)

started going to CSA in 1990
    The resort was Jamaican, food, culture and most of all music. they had reggae bands at night, Ernie Smith a jamaican legend, the indica band , and the ninjas. It was great! good reggae on the beach, and good music at night. As the resort grew the more US pop music entered! Unfortunately, there is no good reggae at CSA. We end up leaving the property at night and go to some of the bars for music. Sad that a Jamacian resort doesn't support their second biggest export, Reggae music but instead provides sad US pop.

I agree... the Jamaican music and the vibe of the island is the whole reason we go. I remember several years ago, at a Riviera Maya resort, they started playing some Bob Marley music. It was nice to hear, but it made us wish we had chose Jamaica that year.

Woke up this morning, 3 little birds sittin' on my door step... singing this is my message to you uh uh...

Don't Worry, bout a ting, cause every little ting gonna be alright...

54 more days until CSS. Yahoo.

I agree. Part of the vibe while you are there is to listen to Jamaican music. Time to enjoy it! If we want to listen to American songs we can plug in our Ipods.

Quote Originally Posted by leoconnor View Post
    Back when we first started our vacations to CN (back in 2004), the house band was Tech Force, and they were great. The music wasn't too loud and it was a low key jazz/guitar during dinner, then it would get more lively during Showtime with a mix of pop, classic standards and reggae/dance hall.

Now it seems the trend is to have loud music during dinner and then even louder pop/top 40/disco during Showtime. I'm not too old -- I just like to be able to hear the person sitting next to me during dinner and maybe drag my husband out to the floor for a little slow dancing.

Many of the singers are extremely talented and I'm sure they don't want to sing "One Love" one thousand times, but after making fourteen trips to CN, we don't ever want to hear "I Will Survive" ever again. The Silver Birds are indeed the highlight of the entertainment. What a wonderfully talented group of kids!

As many have said -- it doesn't have to be Bob Marley. I would love to hear tunes from Tarrus Riley, Jah Cure, Beres Hammond, Alaine, Marcia Griffiths, Queen Ifrica, Morgan Heritage, Jimmy Cliff. Then lively it up with some (clean) current dancehall.

The coolest thing I heard on our last trip in December and our one night in Cassava: House DJ had Toumani Diabate (The Mande Variations) playing during dinner. LOVED it.

Last thought...perhaps the entertainment is a reflection of Couples marketing to the younger American guest. This trend seems to be more prevalent in everything I'm seeing. (or maybe I am just getting old....)
    First, I agree about the music being too loud sometimes during dinner. I also would like to be able to hear the person next to me while eating. Unfortunately, this just makes me want to get out as soon as possible.
    Second, to Linda , Too old explains me, I think

Quote Originally Posted by Iriemon View Post
    I agree, I'd prefer more Jamaican music. I suspect we don't get more of it because management has determined, or believes, that the majority of guests prefer "American" songs.

They could be right for all I know.
    I suspect this is the truth. The shift really became apparent a few years back, and I'm almost certain it was due to guest feedback. All we can (and should do) is keep asking for more Jamaican music. Especially on the exit survey and ask for it ESPECIALLY at the bars.

Bingo! My playlist is loaded with Raggae and Parrot head music. I get all I want. Now some live steel drums makes the cut! Cant wait to see and hear it. Doing the dirty 30 dance til CTI!

Quote Originally Posted by leoconnor View Post
    ... Then lively it up with some (clean) current dancehall.
    Yes, the street version of some dancehall might give us quite the shock!

Regarding the music played over the speakers (KrisJamie's post), we've never heard anything other than Jamaican music (referring to CN in this case and I believe KJ goes to CTI more often). It may not be Reggae (could be very old ska, mento, dub, etc. but still Jamaican).

On occasion we'll hear something that is more international crossover hit (Marcia Griffiths, Shaggy, someone like that) but still recognize as being Jamaican in origin.

That said, on our last CN trip, one day was apparently all Jah Cure (not a fan, am aware that many others are). Seemed every song that came on we'd turn to each other and say "Jah Cure Day" - oh well, at least it was Jamaican.

Agreement here, too! Love the reggae music! That's one of the reasons we LOVE LOVE LOVE Jamaica! And those Silverbirds........are awesome!

Randymon,
    Give us more reggae to enhance the mood. It does not all have to be Bob Marley songs on a music loop that would bore the staff and us eventually. There are so many artists and variations of reggae. School us. Help us to feel in some small simple ways what it is to love and be Jamaican in our hearts, through our ears. We want to embrace your culture and your people. Please Randymon, ease mi up...respect.

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post

Regarding the music played over the speakers (KrisJamie's post), we've never heard anything other than Jamaican music (referring to CN in this case and I believe KJ goes to CTI more often). It may not be Reggae (could be very old ska, mento, dub, etc. but still Jamaican).

Strictly CTI. I suppose Shaggy IS Jamaican music, but the 1997 album on repeat is certainly more "pop" than anything else. More old ska, dub...all for it!

An evening show could be put together to let us hear and understand the different variations of reggae like roots, lovers rock, rock, mento, dance hall, reggaeton, etc including the dances. Perhaps just a different beat each night? I hope everyone, staff and guests, understand that reggae is so much more than just Bob Marley and does not have to get repetitious or boring. I could listen to it all day.

Another fun thing I would like to see would be a Carnival Show to let all guest experience the excitement and colors of this wonderful island experience. Started in Trinidad, it usually runs in Kingston, Jamaica from February until early April. Couples entertainment staff could give us all a small glimpse of this cultural event which would be fun and educational. Another slice of Jamaican...ya mon, respect.

Our first time at CN was in September 2011. We met a young couple who were on their honeymoon. We had both booked separately to have our lobster dinner at Ohtahiti (sp). After dinner we agreed we needed more lobster so we headed over together to the main buffet restaurant for a second helping.

The entertainment came on; a local singer with a small band. He said he was going to give us the history of reggae. I thought at first "oh boy it was going to be hard to talk to our new friends" but we all quickly changed our minds and got right into the show. I learned so much that night. It was also funny when he talked about a particular song from 1978 and both of the honeymooners laughed and said "I wasn't even born then" at the same time my hubby & I were saying "ya, I remember that one".

That and the night listening to the Silver Birds steel drum band was a great memory for us. We returned in 2012 but never saw the Silver Birds. We are booked again for this September and can't wait as we are meeting up with a wonderful couple we met last year.

We are also just about to book again for September 2014 and only hesitate because by then we will be retired and living in Cozumel, Mexico and not sure you can get there from there.

Betty
    Betty
    Couples Negril - September 2011, 2012, 2013 and have just booked 2014
    Scuba Club Cozumel - Jan, Apr & Nov 2012 and Jan & Nov 2013
    Cobalt Coast, Grand Cayman - May 2013
    Retiring & moving to Cozumel, Mexico in early 2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast