Hybrid View

Default Calling all landscapers or plant knowing people ...

Does anyone know what the name of this plant is ??? Any chance they would survive outside the tropical climate ?? I was going to ask someone on staff at CSA but forgot.... I think these would look really good around our pool area.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

Just where is Shari when we need her!!!
    Kristen

Next time you go, do the nature tour!! It's so great and the tour leader is incredibly knowledgeable. They could answer any question you have about the plants there on site.

Most nurseries and seed catalogs will provide you with a hardiness zone chart for the plants you are seeking. If you are purchasing tropical plants you need to know the tolerance in temperatures or be able to provide that similar environment.

Keep in mind that Customs will not allow you to bring back plants from Jamaica.

Hi - hubby says it is a Ti Plant native of Hawaii also know as the good luck plant ... you may be able to find info to see if it is available and hardy in your area.
    Kristie & Tim
    CN '99,'04,'06,'07,'09
    COR '00
    CSS 10/5/09 - 10/10/09

Default Hawaiian Ti

I just planted one of these last weekend. We live in Galveston, texas area and it is know to grow great there. If I can keep it alive anyone can.

Cordyline terminalis - Hawaiian Ti Plant. They will grow in anything from zone 9 and higher.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

It looks like it is a Hwaiian Ti plant, the genus is Cordyline. It is good in Zones 10a, 10b and 11. We do use it here in Florida in our landscaping, but it will not hold up to prolonged cold weather. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I knew someone would know.
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

The book Easy Weekend Gardening from the editors of Garden Gate magazine states it will grow in zones 10 to 12, not 9.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    The book Easy Weekend Gardening from the editors of Garden Gate magazine states it will grow in zones 10 to 12, not 9.
    Well, having built landscapes and gardens in zones 9 and 10 here in Florida, I can tell you the book is wrong. Keep in mind that zone 9 goes as far south as the southern end of Lake Okeechobee and as far north as Jacksonville.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Here's a link to all the info you need about this Ti plant they are very slow growing for a tropical plant

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53151/
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Its called a Red Sister Cordyline. They do well in FL but keep out of direct sunlight b.c the leaves start to change colors

I second Elainechick's advice to take the Nature Tour.
    nobody's favorite poster