Thread: Diving at CSA

Default Diving at CSA

I am debating on getting PADI certified before my June trip.

I know they offer a basic class and give you one shallow water dive. If I were to get certified but choose to complete my certification of open water dives there, what is the going rate? I can't seem to find a rates board for diving.

Night dives.. Worth it?

DO I have to bring my own scuba gear?

Is it best to buy my own snorkel gear before going or are theres good enough?

Do you get to see different spots every day or do you go to the same spots for snorkeling?

The cat cruise, are you able to bring snorkel gear and snorkel by the cliffs if your not interested in cliff jumping?

Last year i snorkeled around ricks cafe, I didn't see anything. Do they have nets there as well to keep the fish away from the tourist?

Thanks!!!

Rachel

Wow, not sure about the resort fee for getting cert. You can't get certified without doing your open water dives. What you can do is complete all your book work, and pool work, at home, do your open water dives at Couples, and then get Cert. Night dives?, get comfortable doing day dives first. If you have your own gear, bring it. Couples has good equipment, but there is nothing like using your own if you have it. There are about 4 spots the snorkel boat goes to, but even if it only went to one, eack trip would be diff. Cat. cruise, my wife and I brought our snorkel stuff and had a blast. No nets. Same deal with snorkel equip. if you have your own, bring it, especially for the Cat. cruise, you can not use the resort equip. except for the resort snorkel trips. Oh, by the way, it's not "snorkeling", it's "snarklin". I'll be getting wet in a couple of weeks!

Totally agree with BarDar. Do your classroom and pool sessions at home as you don't want to be studying when on vacation. Then just bring done your referral papers and do the 4 open water dives to get certified.

As someone who is brand new to diving; I would suggest NOT buying any expensive gear until you know you like it. BUT I would go ahead and buy your mask, snorkel & fins. A good mask can make your experience so much better whereas a poor fitting mask can ruin the whole dive. It is also good to have your own fins that you know fit well.

Even if you don't like scuba diving...you will have your mask, snorkel & fins for snorkelling for many more years to come.

Betty
    Diving since 1987
    Betty
    Couples Negril - September 2011, 2012, 2013 and have just booked 2014
    Scuba Club Cozumel - Jan, Apr & Nov 2012 and Jan & Nov 2013
    Cobalt Coast, Grand Cayman - May 2013
    Retiring & moving to Cozumel, Mexico in early 2014

Hubby is an avid diver who did all of his certification prior to Jamaica, but we have travel friends who have done their check-out cert dives in Jamaica. Back in 2007 (I think) it cost him $300 to just do his check-out dive at CTI. It was two dives and skills over 2 days. He liked this much better because some dive shops make you take a trip for your certification (hubby did his in a quarry).

Night Dive - Hubby loved it, but it isn't something he does on every trip. He does, however, dive every morning, sometimes in the afternoon too.

Do I have to bring my own scuba gear? Nope. Couples provides everything you need. However, people who are certified and frequently dive tend to bring their own gear. But it's an investment. I'd suggest waiting to make sure you like it before you invest in all of your own gear.

Is it best to buy my own snorkel gear? Couples provides the gear and it's fine - but it's only for the resort scheduled trips. If you want to snorkel on your own, from the beach, then pack your own gear.

Do you get to see different spots every day or do you go to the same spots for snorkeling? There are a few different spots that you'll go. Same for diving.

The cat cruise, are you able to bring snorkel gear and snorkel by the cliffs if your not interested in cliff jumping? Sure, I don't see why not.

Last year i snorkeled around ricks cafe, I didn't see anything. Do they have nets there as well to keep the fish away from the tourist? No..lol! Fish aren't around Rick's because not only is there not a reef, it's constantly full of people to keep them scared away.

Hope that helps!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

CB - 2015