Default Seat Assignment issues with American-choose your seats when booking trip

So we booked a last minute secret rendezvous through Couples a couple of weeks ago for end of this month.
    Just happened to check American Airlines seat assignments and see that we have not been assigned seats. Only seats available are two @ $32. each and about a dozen for $68. each. These "premium" seats are the only thing showing as available for assignment. HUH?
    So I call and am told repeatedly that there are no "FREE" seats left for our flight. There "should" be seats available but won't be assigned seats until day of flight unless I want to reserve premium seats. Took me three very irate calls talking to no less than six people, including the one that hung up on me, to get assigned our seats. I felt like we paid a premium price for out tickets, we should have confirmed seat assignments.
    I felt like they were holding me hostage. If I wanted to pay the dough, I could get an confirmed assigned seat. Otherwise wait and take your chances.
    So make sure that you choose your seating assignments while booking your trip. That was definately no fun.

Travel Agent! No problems!

Meanwhile back in the American Airlines boardroom, senior executives remain mystified as to why their company went bankrupt and had to be bought out by US Air.

The airline industry does suck at pleasing customers but is pretty good at finding add on fees to benefit themselves. We have not run into this yet as we booked our flights well in advance but we feel your frustration. I have read other airlines, even domestic flights, want to charge you extra to sit together or to get a window seat. Let's hope this does not catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by rckbert View Post
    The airline industry does suck at pleasing customers but is pretty good at finding add on fees to benefit themselves. We have not run into this yet as we booked our flights well in advance but we feel your frustration. I have read other airlines, even domestic flights, want to charge you extra to sit together or to get a window seat. Let's hope this does not catch on.

We ran into this problem last year on our trip back from Couples with USAir. Always took Air Jamaica but they stopped flying out of Philly when we were coming home. Called USAir and was told if we didn't pay for our seats we could get bumped if they were overbooked. Well naturally we didn't want to get bumped so had to pay for our seats. These airlines between the price, luggage & now paying for a confimed seat is almost making it impossible to fly. I for one think they are a disgrace how they are goughing(?) everyone and then complain that they don't have money and keep thinking of ways to add more fees.
    Dianavr

Yeah these ala carte prices stink. I think alacarte pricing on flights should be against the law. Where is the truth in advertising here?
    The best part of all? Teresa pointed out that the seats we were eventually assigned were not even on the list of premium seats listed. They were marked unavailable. But were available the whole time.....
    So they are preying on people like me who are not at all comfortable with out assigned seats.
    We not talking about a couple of dollars here. Total of 1/4 of the total price of the tickets. Nearly a weeks pay if you're making minimum wage.
    On top of whatever else they'll squeeze out of us on our flight day. Pitiful.
    I see pay toilets making a comeback.......

If they are fully booked they will free up some of the seats that are for a fee the day before or on the day.

we had a problem with assigned seats last year and we picked them when booking our flight!! THEY changed them 3 weks before the flight leaving Miami and we were no longer sitting together! After talking to an agent at the terminal "very nicely" of course ! she was able to "fix" the seating arrangement and we were able to sit together to and from!

I was able to reserve seats when we booked online through a travel website that starts with a T. We don't need to sit together, we usually just play games on our phones, so that's not the issue. The issue is that my husband is 6'6" and I'm nearly 6' and we are stuck in middle seats! I can hack it, he turns into a massive grump. I think we're on American as well. Might try to call the airline and pay a few extra bucks for legroom. We didn't have that option on the site!