Thread: What's biting?

Hybrid View

Default What's biting?

My wife gets bit sometimes on the beach. (Her much more than I) The bites itch like crazy and ooze for days. Is this from sand fleas or mosquitoes or something else?

More than likely it's sand fleas (aka no-see-ums). They come out from the sand around dusk and after rain showers as the air cools. Their bites can leave red marks and itch like crazy. We've never had issues with them (knock on wood) but we will purposefully avoid the beach at dusk and after a rain.

What burns me up is when I read reviews (in general, not just Couples) where people complain about bed bugs when it is more than likely sand fleas. The bites might not show up until the next morning, but that doesn't mean that bed bugs are the culprits.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Noseeums... you don't feel the bite you just get the after effects... controllable itching and bumps
    Best way to avoid is to not walk on the beach in the sand after sunset.. that is when they come out

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    My wife gets bit sometimes on the beach. (Her much more than I) The bites itch like crazy and ooze for days. Is this from sand fleas or mosquitoes or something else?
    Sounds like sand fleas. Get some bug spray with Deet

Also many people including ourselves take vitamin B1 once aday at least 30 days before you go to Jamaica. It works for us!