Default Excursions- Private or Group?

Hi everybody. My girlfriend and I will be going to CN for the first time in September. (Ugh, it's so long to wait...) Looking into excursions. I think we would like to do YS or Mayfield Falls, along with the Pelican Bar. We probably wouldn't be as interested in the River Safari and the Appleton Tour. Would it be better to just hire a private driver, or do something with a group? Would the price difference be worth the extra money for the private driver? Thanks for any input you guys might have.

We have twice booked a private driver to take us on our tours. Once we did the Black River with its crocodiles, Appleton Estates, Bamboo Alley, and Rick's Cafe. Last year we did Appleton Estates, Bamboo Alley, and the YS Falls with my son and his fiance traveling with us. There are several drivers who do private tours. The biggest advantage is that you set the pace. We went to Appleton Estates and were not rushed out at the end of the tour when you do tastings. You are allowed to stay and sample as long as you want. At YS Falls we did the zip line and went into the falls off of a rope swing (take water shoes with the rocky bottom) and jumping off smaller falls with a guide there. We stayed until we were ready to leave. If we wanted to change anything or stop along the way we could. The drivers can be very informative as well. By the way, Appleton, YS Falls, and the Black River are in the same general area. Plan on a full day of driving though.

Hi, Haven't been to CN yet, but hubby and I have made several trips to Couples on the Ocho Rios side of the island and what we enjoy about the private excursions are that you have a driver recommended by the resort, who will be on YOUR schedule not someone else's predetermined schedule! This such a nice thing when you're on vacation! This way you also get to pick your itinerary, not the one being sold by the tour company! Have a great trip!

Thanks for the responses! That seems like it would probably be worth the extra cash to have the opportunity to make our own itinerary. Do any of you have any recommendations for drivers or companies? Thanks again!

I just want to bump this up, to see if anybody has recommendations for good drivers or companies for private excursions, from CN. Thanks!

Default How did you book a private driver?

How did you book a private driver? Did you just walk out of the resort and look for a cabbie?
    STL_sparkles

Quote Originally Posted by rckbert View Post
    We have twice booked a private driver to take us on our tours. Once we did the Black River with its crocodiles, Appleton Estates, Bamboo Alley, and Rick's Cafe. Last year we did Appleton Estates, Bamboo Alley, and the YS Falls with my son and his fiance traveling with us. There are several drivers who do private tours. The biggest advantage is that you set the pace. We went to Appleton Estates and were not rushed out at the end of the tour when you do tastings. You are allowed to stay and sample as long as you want. At YS Falls we did the zip line and went into the falls off of a rope swing (take water shoes with the rocky bottom) and jumping off smaller falls with a guide there. We stayed until we were ready to leave. If we wanted to change anything or stop along the way we could. The drivers can be very informative as well. By the way, Appleton, YS Falls, and the Black River are in the same general area. Plan on a full day of driving though.

I have an excellent person who owns a tour company. He is a great guy and will take great care of you. If your interested let me know. Jonesx5usmc@hotmail.com. He will arrange whatever size transportation you need and you can arrange the tour. To meet your needs and desires. Good prices!!!

Ya Mon
    CSA 2012, 2013

SW Jones, I sent a message to your hotmail account from my yahoo account. Please respond when you have an opportunity. We leave tomorrow morning.
    Thanks!
    STL_sparkles

STL_sparkles: Did you do the private tour? If so, how was it? Was SW Jones able to hook you up with a private driver, and if so, did you like him? My husband and I will be back at CN in September 2014 and I think we'd like to take a private tour if we can find a driver who comes recommended. I'd love to hear about your experience with the private tours. Thanks!