Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alot of hype

Default Alot of hype

I will start with saying this trip did not live up to our expectations from reading all of the previous reviews. I do not think we have extremely high expectations. However, we have travelled to multiple Caribbean islands and throughout Mexico, so we are quite familiar with all-inclusive resorts. I will try to keep this short, to the point, and cover topics that are either rarely covered or were completely different from the reviews we have read. We stayed the last week on July and upgraded to an atrium suite.

Pros-Amazing beach, hotel grounds, food at the restaurants that require reservations, the beach party on Friday was great, and experience of the scuba crew.

Cons – The Couples lounge at the airport is very lackluster, far below the other lounges in the airport. The main lobby of the resort is not very nice, compared to other resorts we have been to that are way cheaper. We had to switch rooms the first day because half of the lights in our room did not work and it was extremely loud. We were in building 20, room 1116, atrium suite, right next to the lobby. We moved to room 1217, same building just the second floor. The foot traffic noise was less but the sink was clogged and had a barely functioning shower head. Everyone talks about how friendly the staff are. We met a total of three staff members that stood out to us, Canute at lemongrass was the best. The rest of the staff said what they were supposed to say. However their tone was that of annoyance. The staff working the front desk was the worst. You would figure these would be the people best suited to convey the resort’s willingness to help, not the case at all. Many people talk about the locals selling their goods on the beach. It was a big annoyance to us. We understand they are trying to make a living. However, if I say no thank you when you pass don’t come back by every 30 minutes asking again. If you say “no thank you” to marijuana they ask if you would like a bracelet, then para sailing, then coke, then a reggae CD, and so on. They will yell at you when you are lying in your chair on the resort property until you acknowledge them. The catamaran cruise was a big letdown. We had high hopes since we heard them coming in the day before we went on the trip. They were all singing and dancing, seemed like it was a good time. You get on the boat and there is an old man who signs one song as the boat is pulling away. Once out of ear shot from the resort all music stops and then it is time for them to start peddling their goods. The signer tries to sell his bracelets and the woman who takes your ticket to get on the boat spends the rest of the trip trying to get you to buy here swimsuit cover-ups. Our friends left a day before we did and had some items stolen from their bags at the Jamaican airport. They did not have TSA locks on their bags though. This review also includes the comments from us and our friends. In all, we will never return to a couples resort.

We highly recommend the One Love Pub crawl. The best time we had in Jamaica, hands down.

PS. If you have a job that gives drug tests be careful. So much marijuana being smoked on the resort we would have to alter our route to and from the beach to avoid the second hand smoke.

Sorry you did not get the vacation you were hoping for. Some people just don't get the same vibe from the same stimulation. One note specific to your last statement. Unless you were near this smoke all day in a closed room you will not test positive in a drug test, specially by just walking past someone smoking. I am guessing that you like big marble sparkly resort like the ones in Mexico. I have no problem with that. We just like a little less glitz and glamour so Couples hits a high note with us. It's all good.

Sorry you did not enjoy CSA as much as the rest of us repeaters do every year. I would like to say that my husband is drug tested pretty much the day he returns from our Jamaican vacation and has never had an issue.

I am sorry you vacation experience was not up to your standards. Not every resort will please everyone.
    But then again, I really don't put much faith in a review from someone who claims to have traveled extensively, but yet only just today joined Tripadvisor to post your review of CSA, and have no reviews for all these other "wonderful" resorts you have been to, and claims to have gone to CSA based on Tripadvisor reviews.
    I also do not understand why you would join this message board just today, just to re post your review from Tripadvisor.
    This message board has been in place for a very long time, and for someone who has the ability to use the internet, you obviously did zero research about CSA, what it had to offer, what to expect on the beach, what the locals were like, how to deal a beach vendor, and so on.
    In today's age, with the amount of information available out there about everything, all that you experienced would not have been a surprise.
    So.... you go to Jamaica and are surprised that people are smoking pot ??? Really ???

In the twenty years that we have been going to CTI, I have never read a review that had so many things wrong at any of the four resorts. It is truly unfortunate. Did you ever speak to someone in management about any of these problems? That may have helped. And did you leave comments in the survey slip you got at the end of the trip. They are reviewd and if a guest had problems, they want to hear of them. The two resorts in Ocho Riios have smaller beaches, but they are private. No dealers, just Couples guests.

I did not know that about the catamaran cruise. I'm sorry Jamaica was not to your liking. I say Jamaica on purpose, because Couples as well as every other resort has very limited control over the beach vendors. Couples has no control over thefts at the airport either.The catamaran is contracted by Couples but are not Couples employees. I'm sorry that the staff was not as friendly as I am used to. I hope that you shared feedback with management, especially the names of people, both pro and con. You may not be going back, but future guests could still benefit.

Sorry to hear of your experience. First let me say I think it great that Couples didn't filter this comment out. That being said, I think the OP is definitely in the minority. We have never stayed at CSA so I cannot speak to any of his CSA based complaints but we have never experienced anything like what the OP said. We have found the beach vendors at CN to be very respectful and brief "No" or a shake of the head is all it took for them to move on. Also, one one trip off of the resort, I made the mistake of saying "not today" to an offer for marijuana. The next day I was asked "how about today". I then said "No thank you" and was never asked again even though we saw the same vendor every day when we walked off property.

Regarding the theft at the airport - that cannot be blamed on the resort.

Kurt and Angela
    CN 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016
    CSS 2014, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlon1117 View Post
    We had to switch rooms the first day because half of the lights in our room did not work and it was extremely loud. We were in building 20, room 1116, atrium suite, right next to the lobby.
    That bit in particular is a little disturbing to me. When we were there in May, we were in 1117 in the same building, and had electrical problems as well. Half the lights didn't work, and the air conditioner wouldn't run. It took so long for them to sort it out that we moved to a different building. It sounds like they have an ongoing problem with the lower floor of building 20 that has yet to be corrected.

I will start with saying this trip did not live up to our expectations from reading all of the previous reviews. I do not think we have extremely high expectations...

Our friends left a day before we did and had some items stolen from their bags at the Jamaican airport. They did not have TSA locks on their bags though. This review also includes the comments from us and our friends. In all, we will never return to a couples resort.

We highly recommend the One Love Pub crawl. The best time we had in Jamaica, hands down.

PS. If you have a job that gives drug tests be careful. So much marijuana being smoked on the resort we would have to alter our route to and from the beach to avoid the second hand smoke.
    As this story went on, it was obvious where it was going. From rude staff to theft, then a compete over-exaggeration of weed smoke at the resort, but didn't mention anything on the pub crawl...
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015

May i ask which resort you were at?

It would be fair to say that the Couples experience did not meet your expectations or that there were some (or perhaps many) things that you did not like about Couples/Jamaica. That is fine, it is your opinion based upon your vacation. But to say "ALOT (sic) OF HYPE" is a subtle accusation pointed towards those of us who enjoy and appreciate our Couples experiences, as if somehow our experience/opinion is not valid...because you said so. SMH ("shaking my head" as the kids say these days).

"PS. If you have a job that gives drug tests be careful. So much marijuana being smoked on the resort we would have to alter our route to and from the beach to avoid the second hand smoke."

It's pretty much impossible to fail a drug test due to second hand smoke exposure...especially if you are just walking by.

I just realized that we stayed in Room 1116 ourselves. It was the last week in February of this year. At first we were a little concerned due the proximity to the lobby, but that ended up not being a problem at all and we liked the room. We didn't experience any of the problems with the room cited by the OP and a subsequent poster. I'm not saying that they didn't happen.....I understand problems can develop later on. It's just thought it was an interesting coincidence that we stayed in the same room and enjoyed it in spite of initial misgivings about the location.

After all, SOMEBODY'S got to be close to the lobby!

Why do they think items were stolen at the Jamaican airport? Why not at their first or last stop? TSA locks won't stop people from getting in your luggage. Lesson is don't pack items of value in your checked bags.

Sorry it wasn't up to all the "hype" you were looking for, but that leaves more room for those of us that love Couples. If you had researched, you would have seen that Couples didn't have what you were looking for as there is a lot of information here, trip advisor and other travel sites with lots of pictures.

PS, you can't test positive from second had smoke exposure especially if the exposure was outside.
    Vicky

I wish Couples resorts would stop letting people break into tourists' luggage at MBJ. If Couples resorts doesn't get a handle on airport luggage break-ins and Jamaicans selling goods on their own public beach, I may have to cancel all future trips to CSA 😜.

Nan, I hear ya. The things that we have to put up with while spending thousands of dollars just to go there and have things like this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I wish Couples resorts would stop letting people break into tourists' luggage at MBJ. If Couples resorts doesn't get a handle on airport luggage break-ins and Jamaicans selling goods on their own public beach, I may have to cancel all future trips to CSA ��.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jamaican_junkie; July 30th, 2015 at 12:55 PM.

Last edited by jamaican_junkie; July 30th, 2015 at 12:47 PM.

I couldn't have said it better, Nova. I'm a world traveler. If you go to my TA account, you'll find reviews from most places we've been, not just one resort. As world travelers, we carefully research everywhere we go IN ADVANCE. We don't join a discussion page after the fact, just to post our complaint. No other posts on either page. 'Nuff said.

Sorry this world traveler didn't love, much less like, CSA. More room for those of us who do! ��

We have been to Couples 8 times and CSA 4 of those times so let me touch on a few of the poster's complaints. First the Couples Lounge. Yes, it could be fancier but we have never been there longer than 15-20 minutes as transportation to the resort comes quickly. Barely enough time to change into shorts and have a Red Stripe or two. We never had a problem saying no thank you to vendors in front of the resort or on our walks down the beach. Remember the water's edge is public so no resort can ban people from passing. Theft at the Jamaican airport? I am from NJ and we have 5 major airports around us where there are every so often arrests due to baggage handlers or TSA screeners taking things from bags. So many people handle your bags during a flight you would have no idea who took what and where. That is why intelligent experienced travelers never check expensive items. We have done the catamaran several times and always have a great time. Not many resorts offer this as an included activity. The staff has always been helpful, attentive, and courteous. If I was to take a guess on what the main problem was it would all go back to your room complaint and how you let it ruin your whole vacation. Starting out on the wrong foot you seem to have found fault with everyone and everything at Couples. Apparently staff did move you to another room but not one to your liking. Were you expecting to be upgraded because of your situation and were further angered when it did not happen? Remember that this resort fills up a lot and all rooms are not available at all times. My best suggestion is to not sweat the little things or they become big things in your mind. We love CSA and will be back next year! Irie...
    Last edited by rckbert; July 30th, 2015 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by novastar View Post
    But then again, I really don't put much faith in a review from someone who claims to have traveled extensively, but yet only just today joined Tripadvisor to post your review of CSA, and have no reviews for all these other "wonderful" resorts you have been to, and claims to have gone to CSA based on Tripadvisor reviews.
    You are 100% correct. Since I havent spent time writing reviews on TA I must have never travelled before. I did take the time to read all of the threads on this post and TA before going. Our decision to attend CSA was not based on these reviews but, the comments on this site made me feel as if the resort would beat out all of the other places we stayed at. That was the reason for me contributing to the site. All said you "repeat" couples will have two less couples to compete against for rooms. Also, the post was deleted the first time I submitted it.

Triathlon1117, I'm sure all your points are completely valid. We have experienced some issues in the past (that being said, we still love Couples and are 12 time repeaters). I think the problem is that this is most likely not the forum for a very negative review. If you read all the threads, you realize most of the people here are repeaters, love Couples and will defend it to the death. The title of your thread is a tad incendiary, no?

I see you also posted on TripAdvisor and thats the forum where it will most likely be helpful to other folks.

Also, the post was deleted the first time I submitted it.
    It wasn't. The board doesn't update until posts are manually approved.
    That said, some complaints are valid, while others are plain silly.

I've read worse.

The reason people are skeptical of your post is the fact that it's exhaustively negative - you mention two words about the "Amazing Beach" - where you presumably spent most of your time - yet you write multiple comments on the airport lounge and lobby - where you probably spent 15 minutes at each...

I don't even remember what the airport lounge looks like and I've been there 6 times... But I can tell you every detail about every inch of tower island or sans souci.

In other words - you deliberately inflated the negative and now your "review" just seems weak.

And PS - Can you tell me which route you took? I'm clearly missing all these opportunities to get a contact buzz... (That part just makes your "review" seem silly)
    Last edited by MichaelAndKristin; July 31st, 2015 at 01:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast