Thread: Offsite Eating

Default Offsite Eating

Not that we plan on doing this much because we are looking forward to trying all the food that CSA offers. But if there was one place you could all go for lunch near CSA what would it be? This is our first time in Jamaica and would like to get out and explore a little bit. And I wouldn't mind trying someplace that is authentic. Not Margaritaville or Ricks.

50 yards south of the resort on Manly Boulevard is Ossie's Jerk Center. One of the best on the island.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Take a taxi up to the cliffs area, there are several Jerk stands up there that are fabulous, great people and great food, the real deal! Irie.

Try the Pushcart at the Rock House Hotel. CN has a free shuttle there called the Sunset Bar Shuttle. CSA may as well.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

If you want a little bit of adventure, just walk out to the beach and turn left and walk the beach for a mile or so. There are tons of local places along the way. Stop into a few, have some drinks talk to the folks there and ask them where they suggest to go to eat good local food. You never know where they will send you but I bet it will be great food.

Ossies jerk shop is right down the road from the resort. Walk to the front gate turn right and go down road about 100 to 150 yards. On opposite side of resort. Be careful of traffic.

Best in the West for jerk chicken... very short walk. If you face the ocean, walk to the left up the beach until you see a resort called Coco La Palm. Cut through the side of the resort (if anyone asks, just tell them you're going to Best in the West). Cross the street and you're there! We ate there twice last time! You could go out to the street and walk up that way, but it's dangerous and discouraged. Much easier to just walk up the beach.

Ossie's, which is basically across the road just to the south of CSA. Classic roadside jerk stand vibe, fantastic jerk pork in combination with traditional rice and peas. Ya mon!

If you want someplace close, turn right facing the water and walk past the B resort. Look for Cosmos, good, authentic jamaican food. We usually go there for lunch one day every trip, conch soup and festival... yum! Or do as others have suggested and turn left(facing the water) lots of good little spots there. Pilots cafe is real close to CSA and has great curried conch. Or...if you really want a different experience, take a trip up to the cliffs. In my opinion the best restaurants are up there.

Quote Originally Posted by lvmcgill View Post
    You could go out to the street and walk up that way, but it's dangerous and discouraged. Much easier to just walk up the beach.
    We walk the beach road all the time. It is not that dangerous, nor discouraged IMHO. Just need to pay attention.

Best in the West for Jerk, Kuyaba on the beach more towards town, Rockhouse, LTU Pub or Ivan's at Catcha on the cliffs, Niah's or Juicy Patties for, well patties.

Personally I would make a trip to the cliffs for a sunset dinner. I know Rockhouse will pick you up if you have a dinner reservation, but you need to find your own way back.

One thing you do have right - is Rick's and Margaritaville are very touristy - everyone should stop in there just to say you've been, but definitely not my personal choice to hang out - and very pricey.

A fun lunch trip is to take a cab just past the lighthouse to Jus Natural. Theresa will give you a big hug and cook while her sister Christine gives a tour of the property. It's like a mini excursion to the bush for the cost/time of lunch. No ocean views or fancy dishes here. Any taxi driver should know it.

One of the best meals I have ever eaten in my life was at Ivan's up on the cliffs at Catcha Falling Star. They will pick you up but you do need to find your own way home. The security guard at the gate can get you a reliable driver home if you give him a tip. Get the jerk grilled lobster!

Quote Originally Posted by mshell View Post
    If you want someplace close, turn right facing the water and walk past the B resort. Look for Cosmos, good, authentic jamaican food. We usually go there for lunch one day every trip, conch soup and festival... yum! Or do as others have suggested and turn left(facing the water) lots of good little spots there. Pilots cafe is real close to CSA and has great curried conch. Or...if you really want a different experience, take a trip up to the cliffs. In my opinion the best restaurants are up there.
    I have been going to Cosmos for many years and we look forward to the conch there.

Ivans on the cliffs for dinner one night is now a staple, replacing RockHouse for us which just has not been as good the last few visits. Pushcart was good but we prefer Ivan's. LTU on the cliffs is also a good choice for a casual lunch or dinner.

Hi folks! I have been discussing with my wife the possibility of eating off site for one dinner while at CSA this June. This will be our seventh trip and we have never ventured out for dinner off the resort and I thought it would be a nice change of pace. I have narrowed down my choices to Ivan's or Just Natural. Problem is my wife is nervous about going, all the stories out of Mexico and some other countries has her spooked about leaving the security of the resort. I am trying to convince her that we will be safe and that it would be fun to experience some of Negril away from CSA a bit. I keep reading that the restaurants will send a cab for you but you have to arrange your own transportation back to the resort. How does this work? I have also read that CSA will help to arrange for a taxi to take you to your destination, again, how does the trip back work? I need to convince her that we will not be wandering about trying to hail a cab in the dark some place and that we will return safely from a wonderful dinner.

One more question: which currency is preferable? I would just as soon use greenbacks (USA $$'s) and skip the currency exchange game if that is an acceptable practice.

Thanks for any and all advice and help.

If you're looking for baby steps in getting out and about Ivan's is a perfect choice. It feels very "normal" and you can use credit cards or $USD with no problem. Ask your cab to be back out front waiting for you in whatever time you want and, IME, they will always be there - especially if they know you're going to give them a little extra. Jus Natural is one of my favorite places but it's a much better place for a lunch trip after your wife gets comfortable with leaving the resort. We've started staying up on the cliffs for a few days after checking out of CSA and the area really is quite safe, but significantly different than inside the resort. Once you're in the gate at Catcha(Ivan's) you'll be in another very nice resort.

If you do need to catch a cab for the ride back you will not wait long! They seem to come out of nowhere. Red plates mean they are licensed and (I think) insured. Offer $10 for both of you to go straight to CSA without picking anybody else and you shoud be good to go. Agree on the price before you get in.

dirtleg~blueallah gave you some great advice there.. it's exactly what I was going to tell you. Only thing I can add to it is that you should absolutely do it!

Another chime in for the Ivan's recommendation. When ordering though the portions are very large so go hungry.

As far as cabbing it Blueallah has indeed hit the nail on the head. Our driver had no problems taking us back to CSA. Probably because we tipped on the free ride out to Ivan's as well.

We have ventured off property a couple times and on several occassions have had cab drivers give us a cellphone to call them when we are ready to be picked up!

Quick question for those who have spent time on the cliffs. We are flying from Montego Bay to Negril with Tim Air and will be taking a cab to Catcha Falling A Star, spending our first night on the cliffs.We booked a sunset dinner at Ivans and are really excited to experience that!!!The following day we will be heading over to CN.

As this will be our first time spending a night off the resort and we are wondering what transportation will cost.Has anyone taken a cab from Negril airport or CN to Catcha Falling Star and if so, can you give me an idea of what we can expect to pay in cabfare. We just want to have a rough idea of what the cost is. Thanks for any help..... 15 days away from paradise!!!!!

Reading this thread , I am getting HUNGRY !!!!!!!!! My attempts at jerk are close, but not quite on the mark. There is a place in Falmouth we like but a little too far from CSS or CSA to visit from the resort, unless we get the driver to stop for lunch on our split trip next December, (our treat).

Forgot to give the name, Leons Lobster Shack!