Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trip vs new grandchild

I'm so bummed - we booked last April for our Oct. 12-19, 2013 trip (great deal and credits). My oldest daughter and husband have proudly announced the upcoming birth of their first child - due 10/22/13. I know everyone is going to say just go another week, but we really don't have another time to go except for holidays. I can't believe I'm actually contemplating the not being there for my child over my need for a Couples fix!

Congratulations.... I feel you pain. The same thing happened to my husband and I along with another couple we have been vacationing with for years. Not quite as close in days, but a couple weeks. Unfortunately for us, we became grandparents 3 months early, tiny but healthy, thank goodness, so our stress was relieved. The other couple became grandparents about 10 days after their return. Only you can make the decision, but I would vote for the Holidays. That way you get the best of both worlds! Good luck with your decision.

I'm a L&D nurse. How often do kids really arrive on time? And more often than not, they are late.

I think you should go. After all, the baby is due after you come back. Congratulations, btw!!!

That would be a hard choice for me too. I feel for you!

Is your child married? I'm sure his/her partner will fill in for you. Go and have a great time. The worst thing that could happen is that
    you'll be even more excited to come home to see your new Grandchild than you were to go to Couples!

We were driving home after booking our September 2009 trip to Couples when my son and daughter in law called to us they were expecting! In September.
    There was absolutely no thought. The trip was postponed until November. I love Couples but there in no way in hell I would miss the birth of my grandchild for anything.
    And our beautiful grandaughter was born right on her due date as was her brother 14 months later.

Just Skype the birth.

I'm with JennC! Trust us labor nurses. Rarely are these babies born on due dates. Congrats early!

Last edited by Gail and Matt; March 26th, 2013 at 04:40 PM.

I work in Labor & Delivery as well and I am with the others. Go and have a GREAT time! With it being the first pregnancy especially, chances are very slim it will happen on her due date. Nothing like some well rested grandparents to help take care of a new baby!

I would also suggest having an open and honest discussion with your daughter about her birth plan. Will she want you to actually be there for the birth? For example, both times that I gave birth, my mom thought she would be there, but I wanted it to be a quiet event for just myself and my husband, and we welcomed family a few days later.

Congratulations. Being a grandparent is wonderful. We planned our trip back home this year around the birth on a grandchild. My wife always spends a week with my daughters taking care of their family. There was no way she was going to leave that week. We have four grandchildren now and another one due in May.

Life is good

Go to couples right now or as soon as you can, stay as long as you can..Party as hard as you can......then you can stay home and be good old Grandpa & Grandma..life is changing for you and it's all good,,,,,,,,,,,it's hurricane season anyway......if your daughter has never been to couples she just won't understand.

It being your daughter and her first child, I would say don't go I know if I had missed my grandchildrens birth my daughter would have had hurt feelings.

How awful would it be if you cancelled your trip and the baby doesn't end up coming until after anyway? Go for it, and if the DO end up going in labor, Skype the birth! You'll be in the perfect place to celebrate the new arrival!

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanbound View Post
    I'm so bummed - we booked last April for our Oct. 12-19, 2013 trip (great deal and credits). My oldest daughter and husband have proudly announced the upcoming birth of their first child - due 10/22/13. I know everyone is going to say just go another week, but we really don't have another time to go except for holidays. I can't believe I'm actually contemplating the not being there for my child over my need for a Couples fix!
    Your daughter would NEVER forgive you! Not much wins out over Couples, BUT my grandkids will everytime!

Congratulations Grandma!

Marie

CN 06, 07
    CSS 08, 10
    CN 4-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_Joe View Post
    I love Couples but there in no way in hell I would miss the birth of my grandchild for anything.
    I can't believe people are actually weighing vacations against the birth of loved ones.

I would be absolutely heartbroken if my parents picked a vacation over being around for the birth of my first child. Vacations can be had anytime, you can't get the other moment back. For me that would scream you are not important to us! I can honestly say that my parents would never choose to go on a vacation over being there for the birth of a baby.

The choice is yours though, perhaps you have a different relationship with your daughter and she wouldn't be hurt by your choice?

Couples will be there for the holidays and long after that. Enjoy this special time with your family closeby and plan on returning to your Jamaican family as soon as you can.

GO, GO, GO. First babies rarely come on time or early for that matter. Think of what a wonderfully relaxed grandparent you will be after some much needed R & R at Couples.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you will be a mile away and they will be barefoot!

I have been on the birthing side... so here's my two cents.

I was due with my first baby on August 14th, 2003. My inlaws had a trip planned to the east coast. It was during that same week. Honestly I was a sad they wouldn't be there (because I KNEW she was coming early/on time!!!) and they would miss the birth of the grandchild. And I was a little disappointed they didn't cancel their trip for ME and their soon-to-be grandchild.

They went on their trip and I didn't have my daughter until the 19th.... two days after they returned. In hindsight, I would have felt guilty if they would have cancelled their trip and she wasn't born until after the fact.

That being said... if this is their first child (and like the L&D nurse above said), mostly likely s/he will not be born on the due date. If you are coming back on the 19th, and she's not due until the 22nd, there is plenty of time! First babies are usually late anyway. And you had this trip planned before you knew she was pregnant.

Also, it's not your trip VERSUS your grandchild. You will love your new grandchild as much as you ever would if you go on the trip or not. (just whisper to the baby to wait until you get back... my mother in law did and my daughter obliged!)

I would go. It will make leaving less sad! The first time we went we were scheduled to pick up a puppy the day after we got home. It made leaving a little more tolerable.

I agree with those who say don't cancel until you check with your daughter and see what their plans are. I know my daughter didn't want me to come to visit her (she lived 4 hours away) until after a couple of days of being home. She wanted to bond with just her husband and the baby as a family before Mom came. Then when her husband was due to go back to work I went and took care of the mundane household things like cooking, cleaning, and laundry, and let her take care of the baby. So, I say don't cancel your trip until you know what you daughter wants.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanbound View Post

talk to your daughter. Personally (not yet pregnant but have thought a lot about this), I would not want anyone other than my husband in the room or even waiting at the hospital. I would much prefer getting to introduce a new baby once I've had time to recover and enjoy some private time with my husband and our new baby - even if that's a couple days later. Your daughter may be different.

My cousin is currently expecting her first.......and she was due 8 days ago! Your daughter's due date isn't until after you get back. I agree with the nurses on here, I really doubt there would be a grandchild before you got back. And even if you miss it by a day or so....that's just a couple days! Talk to your daughter and see how she feels.

Thank you all for weighing in. Just to clarify, I work for a MiL baseball team and can't take off March-September (or December). My husband works for a school and can't take off August-May. That literally leaves Fall Break or Thanksgiving - meaning going almost 2 years between vacays. After working 70-90 hour weeks during the summer, the only thing keeping me going is my mental picture of CSS. I've also found out that our "trip insurance" doesn't consider this refundable as of yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast