Default Travel Tips w/ Meds, vitamins and supplements

AHHHHH..I am woke up this morning freaking out. Yes granted it is 56 days until our trip, but I am a planner and I don't like to procrastinate.

My husband has to take a box load of meds...me I take a box load of vitamins and supplements. We usually travel within the US just with pill organizers, but I am wondering if we need to take all of our meds, vitamins and supplements in the original bottles? When we traveled 5 years ago, we didn't have to keep them in their bottles but I know that things have changed....anybody who travels a lot with these things have any tips to make sure our pass through customs is easier?

Please help!

I have a box load of meds and supplements myself and I'm taking them all in their original containers. I'm taking the organizers as well, but I'm not putting anything in them till I get there. These days some customs agents won't ask, but another may enforce the rule that says you must have them in original containers. Why take the chance?
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

Thank you Susan! Luckily I have been eating heathier and getting exercise more..doc has taken me off of 3 of my 6 meds already but my vitamins and supplements have doubled. hahaha. Hubby is working on it but his meds are a little more complicated, but he hopes to get off some of them himself, then we will just have to take mostly vitamins and supplements.

From the US customs and border protection website. Other nations may vary. You don't mention where your from.

"Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-oxygen-tanks

Choice is pretty simple. There is a good chance if you don't have the original bottles you won't be checked, and it will be no problem. In the event you are checked, you have a problem. Is it worth missing a connecting flight? I for one will continue to choose to avoid a problem in the event I'm searched by carrying my meds in the original bottles. Risk is not worth the reward.

S/F
    Scott and June

When we went in 2011 I took an injecter pen for mirgaines and was told by Delta to leave it in its orginal package and make sure the script matched my passport info. Other then that we have never had any problems with meds.

I would say the same as SusanL0412 keep them in orignal bottle until you get there . Why worry about being hassled .

I always take the partially filled Rx bottles with my name on them for the prescription meds to cover me during the time on the trip. You may want to ask your doctor to give you a written prescription which included both the brand name and generic brand to take with you in the case you need to refill something. Keep all these in your carry on bag. We use the organizers for supplements. Never had a problem. I have also started taking a prescription with me from my Doctor for an antibiotic (that can be taken with alcohol) in case of a sinus infection. I got some sea water in my sinuses while snorkeling 2 years ago and it got infected. The cost is about $380 to get a doctor brought to the resort to give you one so I go prepared now. Just one more small Rx bottle to pack.

Definitely keep as many original bottles/labels as you can with you, especially if they are prescription drugs. You're more likely to get hassled if you have narcotics or injections such as Epi-Pens, etc. but as long as you have sufficient documentation (pharmacy label) it should not be a problem. Maybe even print a "medication profile" listing your over-the-counter meds that are in your pill boxes.

Good for you Lisa for eating healthier and getting off some meds!!

I use original bottles also. I would also recommend carrying a paper RX from your doctor for any injectable or narcotic. As said above, why risk the hassle?

Thank you all! This really helps! We will definitely use the original prescription bottles. I just don't want to get delayed in any way!

Thank you Melvin76! It feels good! I am very excited! I feel amazing!

I keep them in my pill organizer in my carry on. I have also put a few extra of each pill in a medicine bottle, but it's not the original bottle they came in. In 17 trips to Jamaica, I've never been inspected or questioned. Whatever makes you feel more comfortable.