Hybrid View

Default Things to do before you go on vacation w/o the kids

I thought I'd share my list of "Things to do" since we are leaving our three young daughters (9, 7 and 5) in their Grandparents care.

Create a schedule of events - I'm making a schedule in Excel of days, times and activities for the girls (school, soccer, homework, etc)
    Copy of insurance card
    Medical Release and Consent Form
    List of important phone numbers
    Add Grandparents names to emergency cards at school (if not already done)
    List of household rules (just so it's in writing and no schmoozing Grandma over TV time!)
    I have a few presents that I will leave each of them that they can get while we're gone... just a little something from Mom & Dad.

Hope this helps someone and feel free to suggest anything else! We leave in 32 days and I want to make sure everything is in order.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful information as I am leaving my two boys (13 & 5) with their grandparents.

Dont forget, you and your husband go in a room, close the door, jump up and down and hug! Yaaaaaaàaaay! It looks as though your children are well taken care of!!
    One Love,
    Mya

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin76 View Post
    I thought I'd share my list of "Things to do" since we are leaving our three young daughters (9, 7 and 5) in their Grandparents care.

Create a schedule of events - I'm making a schedule in Excel of days, times and activities for the girls (school, soccer, homework, etc)
    Copy of insurance card
    Medical Release and Consent Form
    List of important phone numbers
    Add Grandparents names to emergency cards at school (if not already done)
    List of household rules (just so it's in writing and no schmoozing Grandma over TV time!)
    I have a few presents that I will leave each of them that they can get while we're gone... just a little something from Mom & Dad.

Hope this helps someone and feel free to suggest anything else! We leave in 32 days and I want to make sure everything is in order.
    Make a point of getting your kids excited about your trip with you by showing them where Jamaica is on the map, showing them pictures of where you'll be staying, studying Jamaican food and culture and helping with your countdown calendar. They can continue their own countdown once you've left to keep track of when you'll be back.

A medical power of attorney is a good idea. Emergency care would not be denied, but more routine things may require a power of attorney. Your medical release may also work but I'd make sure you check with your doctor and local hospital/clinic.

Given their young ages, I'd make sure their teachers at school also knew you were going to be away.

Food allergies/sensitivities and any subtle medical issues the grandparents may not know about should be not only discussed, but written down. Much depends here on how much day to day contact the kids have had with the grand parents growing up. Out of town grand parents may require more details.

As far as rules and schedules, we don't follow them very well with our grand kids. This is an opportunity for the kids to do things they don't normally do and helps them grow socially. Your kids grand parents raised their own children successfully right? Your kids will be in good loving hands.

S/F
    Scott and June

One last thing, our children are 24 & 19 now but when they were young we also left detailed info on life insurance and retirement accounts just in case something bad happens. Don't mean yo be a downer but this is important!

I would have forgotten the insurance cards - thank you!!