Default SSB is different now

My wife and I were talking last night about our upcoming vacation and SSB. We're not really sure whether we will be going au natural or just sucking it up and staying on the main beach. The ambiance has changed.

My perception of how it was before the closing of the Grand Lido is adult couples spending time together and socializing with others Pretty calm and laid back. You could sit around the pool and read your book and have quiet conversation with others. We've been going to couples for years to enjoy our relationship and perhaps spend a bit of time socializing.

Our last trip seemed like more of a spring break for older people atmosphere. Large groups partying hard and loud and owning the place. I even heard mention of how they "take over." A recent review talked about a group of 33 couples meeting at SSB. With the large groups voices go up (Just to be heard in the group) and the atmosphere is anything but reserved. It's not about couples or romance, it's about a big party. Really, SSB has become the naked version of CSS, but much more condensed.

I'm not sure what the atmosphere will be like next year with the opening of the Royalton. Perhaps the reopening of the CO beach there will see the GL faithful return to Negril. Perhaps not.

This is disappointing to read, I really hope it's laid back when we go. We didn't choose to pick CSS and SSB for a party atmosphere.

you posted this on the FB page, I didn't reply there, but in 3 October trips, I haven't seen the animal house stuff you describe.

Couldn't agree more, we experienced the exact same behaviour from a very large group who used to frequent the GLN. They made it clear that they were there to "take over". Added to the list of poor behaviour was all day volleyball, and I mean all day, to the point that some older folks could not or would no go into the pool. It was certainly not the Couples vibe that Couples promotes.

I have to agree with you. In February of this year, it was very crowded.
    Seats were saved at dawn for groups that didn't show up until 11:00 AM.
    Overall louder and less romantic than I remember from last year.
    Couples is now more of an adults only resort than a Couples resort. The atmosphere has changed a lot in the 10 years we have been visiting. Very sad in my opinion and not how they market themselves.
    We are heading to Orient Beach next winter.

Since 2009 I've never seen a day at SSB or on TI where the atmosphere wasn't pretty lively. CN's AN beach, on the other hand, has always been much more subdued. Perhaps that would be more to your liking.

Bruce and Kelli
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    CN 2006, 2008; CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014; JRB 2015; CSS 2017

2 times to CN, and everybody was cool at the AN Beach. We made friends with actually only fellow AN people while we were there. Good bunch over there it seems.

We went end of July last year and SSB was relaxing without crazy crowds (except during pool volleyball, which people got little crazy but the games always died before really finishing). Other than that, it was some socializing at the bar area in the pool, or laying around the pool reading or chatting. And on the beach area there was never any craziness. I wonder if it is seasonal thing. We are going back July again this year (near our anniversary). We should make some forum to chart the crazy periods vs not for each resort per month or something. lol
    Jason (mbjnt) and Heather (hetoepfer82)
    Sans Souci 2016, (July 2017)

Just got back after being there last week and it was nothing like you describe......Lots of folks there using both the beach and pool but everyone was friendly, respectful and sociable.....there were clearly groups that knew each other from prior years but certainly no "take over" or hard partying......I felt very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLisa View Post
    Just got back after being there last week and it was nothing like you describe......Lots of folks there using both the beach and pool but everyone was friendly, respectful and sociable.....there were clearly groups that knew each other from prior years but certainly no "take over" or hard partying......I felt very comfortable.
    This makes me very very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mbjnt View Post
    We went end of July last year and SSB was relaxing without crazy crowds (except during pool volleyball, which people got little crazy but the games always died before really finishing). Other than that, it was some socializing at the bar area in the pool, or laying around the pool reading or chatting. And on the beach area there was never any craziness. I wonder if it is seasonal thing. We are going back July again this year (near our anniversary). We should make some forum to chart the crazy periods vs not for each resort per month or something. lol
    Same here. We went 8/6- 8/13 last year, and SSB was completely relaxing. Very laid back. One volleyball game the entire week, and it was a hoot to watch! We are going again in August. Just our preference, but I don't think we would have as good or relaxing time if we would go during more crowded peak times.

OK...we booked the second week of June. I really hope that we have the quiet couples experience we enjoy so much.

We were at SSB in Late Nov 2015 and the beach was packed - no lounges available and the pool was filled. I figured 150+ guests. Hubby hated it - too many people for him so we will not return. Spend 2016 at CN AN area - it too was packed but as noted - a much more laid back crowd, probably because it lacks a pool. There was alot of construction noise but the AN folks seemed to ignore to get their last AN experience in before the family beach opened next door. I've heard from FB posters that there are kids on the beach but nobody in the AN area seems to care. It kills the vibe for me so we will wait for more feedback before booking CN again to experience the AN experience.
    ... it keepsh me shane

I heard the exact opposite. That families are afraid of the beach because of nude people, and it hasn't effected anything. I'm going to CN in June and I hope what I hear is true. Still can't believe those bozos built their adult area at the other end of the property.

Any new CN AN beach updates? Will be there 6/11-6/17.