Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default To pre-tan or not????

Wife and I don't get naked outdoors much....if ever. Was wondering if we should bother to pre-tan at a tanning booth before going to SSB to prevent burning body parts that have rarely seen the light of day???? Anyone have any input?
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

By all means yes! I would be red as a lobster if I hadn't. My wife and I both pre-tanned and are glad we did. Now we both have dark tans at the end of our vacation.

I went the indoor route and you always hear warnings about that. But, I think a severe sun burn would be even more dangerous.

~Steve

Absolutely, YES!, Why risk ruining your vacation by getting sunburned? Remember that even if you have a pre-tan to still use SPF to prevent burning, a starter tan will not protect you from the Jamaican sun, mon.

Have a great trip!

not sure myself as this will be our first time too. We are going May24th. so we will see you there

Quote Originally Posted by VaCouple View Post
    Wife and I don't get naked outdoors much....if ever. Was wondering if we should bother to pre-tan at a tanning booth before going to SSB to prevent burning body parts that have rarely seen the light of day???? Anyone have any input?
    Absolutely not !!! I ended up with melanoma that my doctor said was not caused by the tanning bed but caused it to happen sooner.
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

We usually hit the tanning booth a couple times before we go. Two reasons we do, get a little color to minimize the farmers tan we tend to get, and also to get the hidden areas used to the sun. We do use a strong sun tan lotion and don't stay in the sun all say at the resort thou, it really is important to stay on top of. You will burn fast without lotion.

Highly recommend it. Those are some sensitive areas to have burned. Nobody enjoys having a sunburn touched either, think about it ;-) Enjoy the trip.

We do every year, and we are in the sun a lot, being from Florida. However, as you stated, not everything gets exposed to the sun. I usually just do one month of tanning before going and have not burned anything important in four trips. that said, you still use a lot of screen during the week, especially you know where.
    Janice and Keith in FL

CTI 2009
    CN 2010 2011 2012 2013
    CSS 2014

yes!!!. :d

Some people may say yes but I'm personally going to make a pitch against the tanning booth. One word: sunscreen!! Use it, and reapply often. We applied (SPF 45 early in the week, 15 by the end) in our room before heading out to make sure we got every spot.

This is my 3rd year going to CN and I always do a month of pre=tan or fake bake. I don't want to take a chance of burning certain parts. My husband doesn't but he has olive oil for blood - and he never burns. 9 more days to go - can't wait.

Default Pre-tan

Quote Originally Posted by VaCouple View Post
    Oh yes, by all means pre-tan.... you'd want to start a few weeks before and build up slowly.... YOu're absolutely correct about not wanting to get burnt in places that seldom see the sun...That way you won't miss any days with a sunburn and can fully enjoy your vacation!!. When ya going? Have fun ;-)

I do for about 3 weeks before going... I don't stay in long, but just 8-10 min at a time every 3 to 4 days over the 3 week period and that way I have an allover color/tan before going, and then can get a bit more tan while there and that has worked for me... also using sunscreen too of course. My hubby refuses to pre tan, and we just slather him with sunscreen each day and he does fine as well. I just like having some color before we go, but I don't over do it and I don't do it any other time.

We always pre-tan. You're going to get lots of responses about how irresponsible and dangerous it is, but we're all adults here, so, if you're inclined to tan, then go for it. Having a base tan has prevented us from sunburn many times.

Quote Originally Posted by aphilly View Post
    Some people may say yes but I'm personally going to make a pitch against the tanning booth. One word: sunscreen!! Use it, and reapply often. We applied (SPF 45 early in the week, 15 by the end) in our room before heading out to make sure we got every spot.
    This is the answer that all skin cancer doctors would give you....believe me I know. I actually use spf 70 and when I get back nobody could tell I was on vacation. There is no such thing as a healthy tan but like somebody said we are all adults so make your own decision....(just like smoking). Everyone knows it's bad but some still choose to do it.
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

What about a spray tan...will that work as well?

Thanks for all the replies. So, I'm gathering that if we tan 3 times a week for the month before we should be better off?
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

I say yes, pre-tan.
    The first 2 years we went to CSS, we did tanning beds the month prior and did not burn. This year, because I had some Basel cell cancel removed from my face, we did not pre-tan, but used 45 sun block, and still burned. Unless I'm going to stop going to the beach, I'd rather take my chances on a few weeks of controlled tan and avoid the discomfort and dangers of uncontrolled burn. It is the lesser of two evils.

Chris

Pre tanning is definately the way to go, but do not over do it. 8 to 10 minutes only every couple of days for 2 weeks is more than enough and keep the suntan lotion going while at the resort. I have seen too many people with severe sunburn at resorts. You must realize that going from a colder climate to Jamaica is a shock to the system, and pale skin will burn within 20 minutes without protection.
    Many make the mistake of only applying once or twice a day, and then spend the rest of their vacation in pain. Not good. Pre baking gives your skin a chance to get used to the sun while away. Yes, it may not be good for you, but a little base tan is way better than a burnt backside.... or frontside....

I use plenty of sunscreen and wear a big hat. I do not tan. (However, I do use the sunless tanning stuff before I go! I think it makes me look thin because everyone knows tan fat weighs less than pale fat, right? )

Ok, another question for the experienced tanners....Wife is a bit...."busty", she is concerned that using a stand-up tanning booth would leave areas untanned under her breast. If she uses a table tanning bed, would it leave areas untanned on her sides. Anyone know a good work around for this? How do you prevent the tan lines from your own body parts?
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    not sure myself as this will be our first time too. We are going May24th. so we will see you there
    We are looking forward to meeting people, having fun, and relaxing!
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

We pre-tan and use sunscreen at the beach.

VaCouple - tell your wife if she's in a stand up tanning bed, lift the girls up for a few minutes each session. Typically, there's handles above you to hold on to to tan your underarms as well.

I would suggest that she does the laying down beds. I have not had a problem with the sides.

Hold them up for her?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast