Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Barbados

We were having a terrible time booking flights!! We were wanting to fly out of Indianapolis IN, which is IMPOSSIBLE to do without an overnight in NYC or Miami! We have to drive 3.5 hours to fly out of Chicago and will not get to Barbados until 10 pm that night! We ended up adding another day to our trip which is September 9th-17th so that we at least get 7 full days at the resort! The only upside to this situation is I get to spend a day in Chicago (LOVE CHICAGO)!!!!

It is very difficult. I think it would be great in Couples would do a MBJ-BGI charter 1 or more times per week. Then we could combine a trip to Jamaica with a trip to Barbados and traveling would be much easier. They could also use it to bring staff back and forth for cross training to ensure that everything in Barbados meets the Couples standards. We REALLY want to go to Barbados!

One of the joys of being Canadian, Toronto to Bridgetown, 5 1/2 hrs direct flight on Air Canada. Only 7 months to wait.

jamaica me crazy~ This is also my first time flying out of JFK, and I've found there isn't much choice for a park and fly hotel. I ended up booking the Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel. Seems ok, only fear I have is that they don't have as much parking as the park and fly hotels I"ve used in Phila. Keeping fingers crossed we can find a parking spot!

I wonder if this resort might be more for promoting to our European friends instead of us US people. It's definitely more convenient to Europe than JA. I want to go but it adds a day coming and a day going. Too much wasted time and expense for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaica me crazy View Post
    We are in PA also and are flying to Barbados from JFK in December. I have never flown from JFK. Is there a park and fly that you would recommend?

Thanks, Mark
    Mark, We are in Lancaster. You?
    I use buy reservations for our park sleep and fly. They do have one with one week of parking and shuttle to JFK. We need 12 nights so not sure what we are going to do yet. We have not flown from JFK either but my son has and the hotel they are offering he did use awhile back. It was gated but not secure. What ever that means. LOL
    I don't like to book the pre flight stay too far in advance since things seem to change. LOL. We have been checking limo service too. Might even bribe on of our kids to drive us up. I keep checking and if we find one that works we will probably book in the July/August time frame for mid October. Doesn't seem to be as many options for the car in New York.
    I am really excited about this trip. We haven't been back to Barbados since the 1990's.

Carol and Dave....

You know, almost every origination point mentioned here has non-stop or one-stop flights to Miami via American. From there non-stops to Barbados. You'll pay a bit more than the fares for Jamaica, but there are flights available without an overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky817 View Post
    One of the joys of being Canadian, Toronto to Bridgetown, 5 1/2 hrs direct flight on Air Canada. Only 7 months to wait.
    One of the joys of being a Torontonian you mean! Just about double for us with the leg from Vancouver to Toronto. We're used to worse. Usually we fly to the Caribbean/Central America by driving to Seattle first, then having to make at least one stop along the way. So no biggie to us to go to Barbados. It is more expensive, but that is what Air Miles are for

Quote Originally Posted by Allans_Angel View Post
    You know, almost every origination point mentioned here has non-stop or one-stop flights to Miami via American. From there non-stops to Barbados. You'll pay a bit more than the fares for Jamaica, but there are flights available without an overnight.
    Of course there are, and you get to the resort around 11pm. I don't know about you but I usually don't pay $500 or $600 a night just to have a bed to sleep in, because that's all you're getting for your first day's fare. If you're going and have to connect through Miami and can only make this late flight it makes so much more sense to spend the night at a cheap hotel in MIA, get the earliest flight out, get to the resort by 1 or 2 and actually get a benefit for what you're paying for at Couples.

I'm in Missouri and getting back is also a 2 day affair, it just adds too much travel time.

Yes, not all Canadians get the great flights. We are flying from Ottawa - the friggin' capital of Canada - and there are no direct flights for us either. The flights are nice enough going down but not that great coming back. But we still have to fly from Ottawa to Toronto - then Toronto to Barbados with the same coming back. Still well worth the Barbadian and Couples experience - no question. So looking forward to visiting Couples again and Barbados (Barbados was beautiful back in 1989 and has always been out of our price range since). Couples is at the top of our list of Resorts. Win Win.

Carol and Dave, We are about 30 miles north of you between Reading and Allentown. We only need a week of parking Our travel agent is suggesting the Hampton Inn at JFK, I need to look more closely at his recommendation. We have used the park, sleep and fly in Philly in the past and were very happy with it.

This will be our first trip to Barbados and our third trip to Couples (CTI and CN before). 205 days to go!!

Mark~ I could be wrong but I don't think the Hampton Inn JFK offers a park and fly anymore. I'm pretty sure thats the fist place I called, since we too have had only good experiences with the one near Philadelphia airport. Let me know if they do. Thanks!
    - we live about an hour from both Reading and Allentown.. small world!

Quote Originally Posted by sparky817 View Post
    Is being a Maple Leaf fan another joy of being a Torontonian. I kid, I kid.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    Is being a Maple Leaf fan another joy of being a Torontonian. I kid, I kid.
    Not this year, again, as usual!

Being an Ontarian means being an Ottawa Sens Fan, though! Go Sens Go!

Sens are in a tough spot now. I'm a Blackhawk fan and we need a W on Thursday or look out. Maybe some year for the Leafs. I'd like to see it.

Sorry to highjack the Barbados thread. Yeah, it's hard to get there. (That's what she said?)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyh View Post
    We can get a direct flight from Toronto to Barbados. Air Canada and West jet both fly there. The flight takes 6 hours. The airport is only 15 minutes from Couples. Add to your holiday and spend a day or so in Toronto !!! Lots to see.
    I'm so glad to hear that! We come from Vancouver, so that means getting to Barbados is only about 2hrs longer than our travel time to Jamaica... and once you factor the shuttle ride from Montego Bay airport to the Couples resorts, it's works out about the same.

For anyone in the PA/Ohio region.. Our travel agent originally had us booked for an overnight and then we'd leave from Miami in the morning and head to Barbados. She recently called me back (Not sure if this is because of the American Airlines Merger or not) but said that we'll now be flying out of PIT on July 16th in the Early AM (6ish?) and then leaving from Miami around 10 or 11 to arrive the same day in Barbados. Straight through flights appear to be most common on Saturday but travel is also far more expensive on Fri/Sat/Sun.

Just wanted to give anyone within a couple hours of Pittsburgh a heads up since we were experiencing the same issue of overnight travel if we wanted a decent price. Look into it!

Trying to research our flights now ...
    I see a few places fly into Barbados directly...
    Toronto, Miami, JFK, Antigua, Port of Spain

Depending on the time of year you are planning on, you can get to Barbados in the middle of the afternoon or late evening. We, too, are thinking a layover in a connecting city overnight

Kelly

Was looking at flights again as I really want to try and go this Spring (2014). Seems US Air has added some flights or changed them around.

Originally, American was the only way to go and it didn't leave until 3pm and got us in at 11pm with one stop. :-( Coming home was worse. If we wanted to travel just one day (and not have a layover), we would have to leave around 8am and get home around 11pm with 2 stops. That's a LONG day.

US Air now has a flight that leaves early in the AM and arrives around 2pm with only one stop going there. Coming home is much better as well. Leave around 3pm and get home around midnight and only one stop as well. Both connect in Charlotte. Wonder if the new Couples in Barbados has something to do with it!

Going to try and talk hubby into it when we discuss it this weekend. :-) He's out of town right now.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

Well our direct flight from JFK on a Monday in october has vanished. They now have us going through Miami and getting in at 10:30 PM. SUCKS the way they do this and don't tell you. We are now trying to go another night and leave on Sunday on a direct. I had this gut feeling when we booked this might happen which is why I keep tracking the flight. Oh well. Let the airline games begin.

Carol and Dave.

Jet Blue has a daily flight out of JFK that gets into Barbados early afternoon. For us the price for Barbados was less than Jamaica. The other airlines times were not very good but if you have jet blue at your airport check it out because most of their flights connect through JFK.

Quote Originally Posted by lsm1212 View Post
    Was looking at flights again as I really want to try and go this Spring (2014). Seems US Air has added some flights or changed them around.

Originally, American was the only way to go and it didn't leave until 3pm and got us in at 11pm with one stop. :-( Coming home was worse. If we wanted to travel just one day (and not have a layover), we would have to leave around 8am and get home around 11pm with 2 stops. That's a LONG day.

US Air now has a flight that leaves early in the AM and arrives around 2pm with only one stop going there. Coming home is much better as well. Leave around 3pm and get home around midnight and only one stop as well. Both connect in Charlotte. Wonder if the new Couples in Barbados has something to do with it!

Going to try and talk hubby into it when we discuss it this weekend. :-) He's out of town right now.
    More likely merger related than Couples related.

Get to Toronto if close enough. we fly non stop Toronto to Barbados about 9am departure gets us there by 2pm.
    Air Canada eh lol

We wanted to try Barbados this year but no decent flight connections out of Charleston WV. So we will be headed back to CSA!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast