Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Barbados

Hybrid View

Default Barbados

We really want to try Couples Barbados but it has proven to be very difficult to get there from SW Virginia. Really long flights and super expensive. We can get to Montego Bay early every day of the week so it really makes us think twice about trying Barbados.

Just curious is anyone else feels the same way?

My travel agent says that Barbados is very nice, but very hard to get to.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

We live in Scottsville,VA and normally fly out of Richmond, but the flights to Barbados had us leaving at 7:00 AM but not getting there until 9:45 at night. We decided to travel to Raleigh and fly from there - depart at 6:30 AM and arrive in Barbados at 1:30 in the afternoon. You might check into other airports.
    BTW- just booked the Couplicious Wednesday escape for Barbados. Can`t wait til September !!!

No way from Deroit. Flight times and connections are hopeless.

We're flying from Pittsburgh and had no other choice but to book an overnight layover in Miami. But we really think it'll be worth it!

Yup. Hence why we aren't going anytime soon. Flights out aren't too bad. At least it's only 1 stop. But it doesn't leave until late in the day and we wouldn't get there until 10:30pm. The flights back home are killer. Either leave at 8am and stop 2 times and get home around 11pm (really long day). Or still 2 stops and layover somewhere so 2 days of travel. *Sigh* And I really wanted to go.
    Last edited by lsm1212; April 4th, 2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

Philly has limited direct flights, but more expensive than to Mobay. It looks like the whole package is going to be a lot more expensive than Jamaica once the $1000 air credit goes away.

Amanda776, did you look into the Philly flights? It might be worth the drive.

Very expensive flight. Our tickets to MBJ this October are $597 total for the two of us. To go to Barbados from Miami on the same dates are $597 PER PERSON! We'll stick with CSA.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

We feel the same way about the flight being nearly impossible & expensive from Kansas City ..... Would love to go & take advantage of the great deals that Couples is offering & try something new but it's just not worth it when Jamaica & CN is so much cheaper & easier to get to .... Several years ago we went to St. Lucia & did similar flights (2 connections - leaving KC at 6:00am & getting to the resort (which was right by the airport we flew into so no shuttle time thankfully) at 10:00pm ...... We were much younger then so handled it better than we would now ..... LONG travel days are a killer & ruin some of the trip since we're dreading them & it takes awhile getting over them .... Don't want to waste precious vacation time (or the money) spending the night someplace else coming & going either so until they come up with easier & less expensive access, we'll stay with Jamaica & CN.
    Julie

We booked Barbados for Jan 31-Feb7. It was actually $50 cheaper to fly to Barbados from Des Moines than it was to Jamaica at the time that I made our booking. We do however have to make 2 connections to Barbados v/s one for Jamaica. We chose to leave DSM the afternoon before our booking and get to Miami that evening, stay in a cheap airport hotel and fly on to BGI the next morning. We arrive BGI at 2:30 Going home we leave BGI at 8:05am (yuck) and are back at DSM at 7:35pm. I think the extra hassle is worth it to try something new. Part of the problem is it seems that only Jet Blue and AA fly to BGI with a regular schedule. I think US Airways goes once per week but it is pretty limited from what I could find.

I spoke to USAirways, they do not fly to BGI any longer

I did look at driving to Raleigh or Dulles but that just adds another 3.5 hrs to the trip each way. I could get a decent flight to BGI but coming back we would have to leave at the crack of dawn.

USAirways flight to/from Mobay via Charlotte are easy both ways

We wanted to try Barbados too, but the flights are terrible from PA. We are hoping that the airlines may start adding flights once Couples gets more established there. Crossing our fingers.

We can get a direct flight from Toronto to Barbados. Air Canada and West jet both fly there. The flight takes 6 hours. The airport is only 15 minutes from Couples. Add to your holiday and spend a day or so in Toronto !!! Lots to see.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyh View Post
    We can get a direct flight from Toronto to Barbados. Air Canada and West jet both fly there. The flight takes 6 hours. The airport is only 15 minutes from Couples. Add to your holiday and spend a day or so in Toronto !!! Lots to see.
    I'm so glad to hear that! We come from Vancouver, so that means getting to Barbados is only about 2hrs longer than our travel time to Jamaica... and once you factor the shuttle ride from Montego Bay airport to the Couples resorts, it's works out about the same.

Same issue out of Charlotte ... US Air files one flight non-stop each way on Saturday but only for a limited time -- their last flight this year is mid-August. While we would love to visit Barbados (other than just a one day cruise stop) our window for travel would require unattractive airline travel and is somewhat more expensive. With Couples opening in Barbados, maybe there will be some increased, more attractive flight options.

Minneapolis is difficult too. I checked next March and flights available either leave 8:00am and don't arrive until 10:30pm (both directions) or you have to lay overnight and arrive next morning. Cost was $820 each also. We won't be going to Couples Barbados anytime soon. I hope Couples hasn't made a mistake with this property as it seems like it is difficult and expensive from just about everywhere.

It's too bad there is no more Charter from Detroit. Back in the day ATA flew to just about all the islands, ie Barbados, St Kitts, Aruba, St Lucia, Antigua, St Martin all NONSTOP.

Well, we booked for Oct 21-31 and we had a layover in Miami, but the 1K off air fare is attractive and two other couples from SF are going with long flight and all. It was less expensive than Jamaica. We can not wait and we decided to renew our vows after 38 years to boot. This is our first trip to a Couples, can not wait.

Jim & Joyce

We are going October 21 thru November 1. We live in PA usually fly from Philly but got a direct with American out of JFK. Price was even good. Hope it doesn't "vanish" by the time we go. LOL. Never know what will happen anymore with the mergers, consolidations and other airline crap.

Carol and Dave...

We have been to Barbados on a cruise stop and really wanted to go but with USAir stopping flights to BGI after August and the 12+ hours of travel each way we selected CTI again

We leave our city at 7:45 and with a layover in Charlotte we are in MBJ at 11:30 a.m, hard to beat.

Just booked for Dec 7 to 14, leaving from Toronto, with 1000 off our trip is super cheap

I'm in Pa and normall fly out of Phila to Jamaica ,but since I couldn't find a good flight for December, I booked a flight from JFK in NY. Its an hour further for us but we do park and fly anyway so .... not that big a deal. And the price was great! $200 cheaper pp than the ones with stops from Phila. And its early morning and direct! Almost as good as the old Air Jamaica flights to Jamaica.
    I'm a little bummed that I"m going to be missing my usual CSA December trip but I"m excited to try Barbados! And the total trip price was too good to pass up!

Mshell I am booked out of JFK in December to for Barbados! I usually fly out of Newark, but the flight price was worth the extra driving. My flight to Barbados for Christmas was cheaper then my May flight to Jamaica!

My husband & I are flying out of Minneapolis on December 9th at 9:40 am, we have a layover in Chicago, then a layover in Miami, then fly to Barbados, arriving at 10:35 pm. It's a full day of travel but I'm sure it'll be worth it!
    We're just happy that we found flights that didn't have overnight layovers. A lot of them did. Plus, the layovers in Chicago & Miami are fairly short so it shouldn't be too bad

Quote Originally Posted by mshell View Post
    I'm in Pa and normall fly out of Phila to Jamaica ,but since I couldn't find a good flight for December, I booked a flight from JFK in NY. Its an hour further for us but we do park and fly anyway so .... not that big a deal. And the price was great! $200 cheaper pp than the ones with stops from Phila. And its early morning and direct! Almost as good as the old Air Jamaica flights to Jamaica.
    I'm a little bummed that I"m going to be missing my usual CSA December trip but I"m excited to try Barbados! And the total trip price was too good to pass up!

We are in PA also and are flying to Barbados from JFK in December. I have never flown from JFK. Is there a park and fly that you would recommend?

Thanks, Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast