Default Wind at the Resorts - Red Flag

There is often talk of windy days at the resorts (especially CTI) where they have to put out the red flag and water sports are out. But at what MPH does the wind have to be before they call off the water sports (or close the island at CTI) for the day?

Bumping this up, as i too am curious. We will be at CSA in 2 weeks, and i am hearing the wind has been so high not only are water sports closed, but worse than that (for us) you cant even take your floatie out in ocean.

Please someone tell me thats not true!

I was wondering this too since weather.com is showing windy for the first half of my trip.

It's not an MPH per se, but what the white caps and choppiness of the water. We have only every had Red Flag days at CTI (never at CSS, CN or CSA) although we have been to CTI more days. Out of 70 days, we've probably had 5 of the red flag days. It's more typical in May which is one of the rainier months.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

I see a few "windy" days forecasted for Negril for next week while we're there and now I'm worried, too! It's saying 20 mph!
    Emily & Chuck
    CN - April 9-14, 2013

Name:  CSA 2012 (152).jpg
Views: 532
Size:  251.2 KB
    picture taken this past December at CSA during a full day of Red Flag , with waves strong at beach side making it difficult just to stand up!! Water normally VERY calm and able to float in your floaty with drink in hand!!! Always something else to do so, no worries mon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyechick View Post
    I see a few "windy" days forecasted for Negril for next week while we're there and now I'm worried, too! It's saying 20 mph!
    It was around 20mph winds when we were in CSS a few weeks ago. Never had a red flag day but did have a yellow flag day 2x. Didn't stop most activities.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

We had red flag at Couples Swept Away the day of and almost the entire week after Hurricane Sandy hit in October. In 5 trips prior to that I think we may have had 1 or 2 Red Flag days. Not certain what the wind speed was though.

We had 2 red flag days at CSA less than 2 weeks ago..... Surf was pretty crazy!
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

Quote Originally Posted by lsm1212 View Post
    It was around 20mph winds when we were in CSS a few weeks ago. Never had a red flag day but did have a yellow flag day 2x. Didn't stop most activities.
    Thank you for this information! I'm trying not to worry about anything. All I ever ask of a vacation is good weather and great food. But I'm so excited to try the Island I am obsessing over the red flagged days (that might not even happen). We are leaving in the morning for our first trip to couples. We are celebrating our 20 year anniversary