Thread: What do we do?

Default What do we do.... Even more frustrated

My husband has worked at the same hospital for over 5 years. He requested off for our trip to CSA in September. His boss told him today that she can't guarantee the dates because they are short staffed. How could they not find coverage with a 7 month notice??? Now I'm not sure what to do. If they don't let him off and we cancel we will lose a lot of money. If we go anyway he will most likely be fired. He is trying to find coverage on his own (which I think is ridiculous since he asked for 4 weekdays and the hospitals policy is they will find coverages for you unless you ask for a weekend). I am SO frustrated right now. And Jared is livid.
    Last edited by jaredandbrooke; April 5th, 2013 at 09:24 PM.

I think your husband is doing the best thing given the circumstances. My husband is in a similar boat. He's a firefighter and he always finds his own coverage. It works out much better that way. It puts you in a hard place to not know for sure. Is there some sort of hospital policy that might help him and over rule the supervisor? If I was him I'd dig for one. 7 months should be more than enough notice.
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

As a manager, I have seen this before. You didn't hear this from me but he can go out sick and find a Dr. willing to sign a note. I know it's unethical but it has been done before.

What I would do is go buy some trip insurance right now (yes you can still buy it). Be specific in what policy you pick so that you're covered in the event of work related cancellations. If you have to cancel at least you will not lose everything you've paid. I'd be livid too, but don't risk your livelihood over a vacation.

UPDATE: Jared's director called him into the office today and approved his vacation request. His whole shift had to sign something saying that they would work with 3 therapist (instead of 4) even if the count is high.
    Last edited by jaredandbrooke; April 4th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Review the employee handbook around the time off policy. I highly doubt that is reason for termination. Your husband should speak to human resources about his options and not rely on his boss, who may not be aware of policy.

That's a tough situation. If you have already booked then your best option is going to be wait and see. You don't have to make any decisions until the time comes and only then if your husband can't get off of work.
    Stephanie

Sometimes getting fired is natures way of telling you that you had the wrong job to begin with. It looks like it will work out, but I'd seriously consider seeking a less restrictive employment situation starting immediately. Your employer should not be able to hold your life hostage and if they do, take your talents elsewhere. If your job prevents your from having an enjoyable, stable life, what's the point?

S/F
    Scott and June

Now that vacation has been approved I was once again excited about our trip. Then, I arrived home today to find a jury summons in my mailbox. For May 5th. In the middle of our trip. Now we have to take a copy of our reservations and airline tickets (which are e-tickets so I'm not quite sure how to print them) to the courthouse for the judge to approve Jared getting out of jury duty.
    Last edited by jaredandbrooke; April 8th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredandbrooke View Post
    UPDATE: Jared's director called him into the office today and approved his vacation request. His whole shift had to sign something saying that they would work with 3 therapist (instead of 4) even if the count is high.
    Wonderful news! Have a fantastic time on your vacation!!!!

You should re-title this thread as Muphy's Law. Hope it all works out for you.

I just got summoned for Jury duty a couple of weeks ago too during my planned vacation to the Grand Canyon. I just had to tell them that I have vacation and tell them that I'm willing to serve another time. What a "journey" you are having. Enjoy your well deserved vacation. I am not allowed to request off this early for vacation next spring and so have to wait and miss out on the early booking special. Hope to get down there next spring.
    Karin

Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    You should re-title this thread as Muphy's Law. Hope it all works out for you.
    Haha!

Every year my boss says that she's not sure if my vacation will be ok due to staff etc. and I always give her 6 to 12 months notice...she also has us fil out a form and says is she doesnt give it back with an approval we dont get the time. I actually got mine back yesterday (surprisingly!! past years i havent gotten iy back or get it back 1-2 months before leaving lol) I brush it off and don't think twice about it cuz if it came down to it a tropical vacation with my hubby (who is #1 priority lol)...if I had to choose well you know....I think it is absolutely ridiculous that a 7month notice doesn't get approved. I am sure there are rules in his employee handbook that will justify his taking time off with that much notice. Maybe his boss is jealous lol. Anyhow I see that he got it approved so that's good news!!! We also always get trip insurance, god forbid someone in the family passes or something else goes on to make it so you cannot go. Have a great trip!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaredandbrooke View Post
    Now that vacation has been approved I was once again excited about our trip. Then, I arrived home today to find a jury summons in my mailbox. For May 5th. In the middle of our trip. Now we have to take a copy of our reservations and airline tickets (which are e-tickets so I'm not quite sure how to print them) to the courthouse for the judge to approve Jared getting out of jury duty.
    Most of the time with jury duty you can call the court and fax everything to them. While in college I got a summons, but with 19.5 credit hours (pretty much class from 8am-6pm every day) there was no way I could make it. I called the court and they just had me fax my course schedule, and I was immediately dismissed. Probably much easier than wasting an afternoon going down there, especially after all the stress you've already been through!

Hope everything works out and you can actually relax and enjoy the pre-vacation excitement before you go!

My wife and I are big believers in "Cancel for Any Reason" trip insurance. We took a nasty $ loss many years ago when we had to cancel a trip for a reason not covered by traiditonal Travel Insurance. Since then we have booked with Cancel for Any Reason every time and have been glad we did on more than one occasion. Be careful though because not all such policies are as user-friendly as others. We book our insurance at time of trip booking that allows us to cancel hotel and air up to an hour or so before our scheduled departure and if we cancel we don't need to give a reason at all.... we get full refund for land and air paid to us in the same form we booked (credit card credit in our case) and it cost us just the cost of the insurance. It's not cheap insurance, but it has been worth it to us on several occasions.