Default Questioned about money?

I was just courious if anyone has ever been stopped or questioned by security at the airport about the amount of money you have with you. As I have read on this board you should bring cash...mostly small bills. I know it doesnt take many small bills to make it look like you have ALOT of money. Just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem or funny story about anything like this.

No. Never have heard of that. Or seen it.

I would suspect the only way for security to see the money you are carrying would be to search your wallet, or wherever your money is. My bags have been searched many times, as i travel for business regularly, and sometimes they see something on the xrays machines. But never do i recall them going into any area that i would keep money.

One tip, when we carry a lot of money, we break it up and put in different places (my wallet, his wallet, my pocket, etc) this way if lost or stolen we wont lose all of it.

I think your allowed to bring up to $10,000 US before anyone will question you and you have to fill out some paper work. We never had any issues going.
    Going home is another story as I must look like I am trying to do something........ I have yet to make it through TSA without having to have my bag rechecked. Last year was scary, bought a shell on the Beach and my understanding is you can ask for something extra in your shell. While we didn't ask I was starting to wonder if I had bought a little extra and didn't know that I did...... They put my bag through the x-ray two times, then asked if they could go through my bag, and put it back through x ray....a few scary minutes for us as I wonder what the jail in Jamaica was like. LOL!!!!

It seems to be a routine question asked of people. We have been asked it a number of times.

Never had a problem

They only want to know if you are carrying over $10,000 in cash (see the Customs Declaration Form) I'm not sure how many suitcases that would be if it was all in ones!

In nineteen trips to Jamaica, we have never been asked. You must delare IF you are carrying $10,000 or more into the country.

Quote Originally Posted by redinthehead View Post
    I think your allowed to bring up to $10,000 US before anyone will question you and you have to fill out some paper work. We never had any issues going.
    Going home is another story as I must look like I am trying to do something........ I have yet to make it through TSA without having to have my bag rechecked. Last year was scary, bought a shell on the Beach and my understanding is you can ask for something extra in your shell. While we didn't ask I was starting to wonder if I had bought a little extra and didn't know that I did...... They put my bag through the x-ray two times, then asked if they could go through my bag, and put it back through x ray....a few scary minutes for us as I wonder what the jail in Jamaica was like. LOL!!!!
    I heard that the Jail in Jamaica was indeed the first all inclusive lodge on the island.

If you think you have too much money, find me and I'll bring it home for you. No problem, mon.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Never had any issues with anyone questioning how much cash we have on us .... Normally we only take about $400 in small bills & like was mentioned before .... We split it up between my billfold, his billfold, a little in our travel docs folder & a little in our carry-on in a secret compartment so in case one of us loses our billfold or whatever, we still have money & we always have some back for that extra trinket that we just have to have. When I'm filling out or customs forms on the plane, I always ask my husband if he's carrying more than $10,000 on him, which is so funny because he seldom ever has more than $40 in cash on him ..... At home, it's all about the debit card.
    Julie

fawnridge, sounds like you used to work on the "Snarklin" boat.

Quote Originally Posted by fawnridge View Post
    if you think you have too much money, find me and i'll bring it home for you. No problem, mon.
    lol

Yes, we were going to Mobay once from Atlanta and there were treasury guys in the Jetway asking passengers if they were carrying large amounts of cash and looking in several carry on bags. Only happened that one time.