Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Not as good as it used to be.

I see mostly cheerleaders for CSA on this board. If your experience was not as good as last time please comment. Please no cheerleaders.

I'm not cheerleading, but change is inevitable. We are headed to CSA for our 10th visit come June. Change happens for different reasons, sometimes necessary, sometimes not. Depends on your point of view. Some call the change of Palms to full buffet to be a deal breaker, not us. Some say the change of smoking policy was a deal breaker, not us. Some say the turn over of staff from year to year is a deal breaker, not us. We love the beach, and even that changes from year to year. Nothing is going to be the same over the course of several years, including us. If you don't think that Couples, or CSA in particular, is going to meet your wishes for a vacation perhaps it is time to look elsewhere. We are still quite satisfied with our time spent at CSA and are looking forward to this trip as much or more than any of the previous trips.
    Is it different? Sure, but we don't expect an identical experience each time we get off the bus and check in. We expect good food, friendly staff, a clean and comfortable room, romantic and relaxing atmosphere, and, most of all, a beautiful beach. Check on all that. They seem to provide all that we ask of them for a great vacation, the rest is simply up to us to just relax and enjoy.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

It's funny that it seems to me that expressing joy and appreciation is suspect while cynicism is valued. On the positive side, I do find humor in the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by ron3637 View Post
    I see mostly cheerleaders for CSA on this board. If your experience was not as good as last time please comment. Please no cheerleaders.
    May I ask what motivated this post?

Unfortunately, we have to claim ourselves as one of the "it just wasn't as good as last year" group. We were there Nov 10-17. The room and housekeeping were as good as the past. The staff was professional and very attentive once you engaged them, again no change from previous trips. Hands down we felt bar service was extremely inconsistent especially at Patois and the Sunset bar. It was curious that at the bars and restaurants we saw widespread tipping going on, and being accepted. Also, the large wedding parties that descend from Thursdays through the weekend continued to upset the Couples vibe we love so much. We did a Trading Places at CN one day and I hate to admit it but we were impressed enough that the Couples "feel" was more alive there we will most likely do a split stay next time. It's not going to be until 2017 so we will keep reading here and on FB to see what changes Karen and Konrad can effect.

Dirt... Right on the money!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BarDar View Post
    Dirt... Right on the money!!!
    Yup, I must agree

I'm going to agree with the thread title.
    We spent our third time at CSA from 5-19 November (many previous times at CSS) and it has loss an edge. Let me immediately say that it's still very good and we will be going back (primarily for the tennis).
    Wedding Parties - We had a run in with a 50-strong party who took our chairs whilst we were up at the Palms buffet. I think Couples could improve here, either by setting a harder itinerary for parties or by better restaurant logistics.
    Staff - Whilst almost all the staff were friendly, to be honest many just weren't that good at their job. Perhaps better training and/or management would help.
    Entertainment Staff - Nice but anonymous. I note that the number of staff appeared to be the same as at CSS, given that that is a much smaller resort you would reasonably expect 1.5-2.0 times the number at CSA.
    Grounds - I see that the aircon units are being replaced and I'm sure other things are happening. Couples should consider having an improvements page on the website (or msg board), if you're improving tell us ! Also the wood around the blocks needs painting annually (perhaps it is and I just missed it) and consider maintaining the 'shells' on the paths, these are a nice feature imo and just look neglected.
    A minority of customers visit these boards so it's not a representative sample yet there are more 'complaints' about CSA that the other resorts.
    If I was to summarise my opinion it would be that CSA is not improving and in some ways is losing ground , if the other resorts don't have the same issues and assuming some level of standardisation in running the resorts then I'm proposing the root cause to be poor/weak middle/upper management.
    Plubby (100+ nights at Couples and can't work out how to insert lines hence wall of text)

"Familiarity breeds contempt"

However...the more we become acquainted with a property the more we become critical, or at least some of do. We have only been to Couples 3 times, CSS all of those times, but I am seeing no decline in the product, in fact I see improvements year to year.

After 15+ cruises on Celebrity we finally gave up on cruising because the ships were simply too big, too many people, no sense of being on the sea...more like a huge hotel surrounded by water. If CSS announced they were doubling their capacity we would likely move on but failing that I can see a long term relationship between ourselves and this wonderful property (as long a SSB is maintained in it's present form). We have been to the Caribbean 40+ times, I think I know good from bad...and CSS is first rate and improving.

Bottom line for us...I read reviews and I can pick a whiner up from a mile away, they are usually booked at the last second at a discount now they are looking for a credit or a refund, but I can also pick out a bogus good review in a glance, nothing is perfect.

I am not perfect nor do I expect that in others...as long as I see the effort (from management and front line) is being made I will gladly forward my money every year to enjoy our little corner of paradise for a couple weeks a year.

(off soap box now)

Dan

We needed a break. After 11 times around in as many years, the shift to the Grouples scene, singles proud of the fact they got one over on the booking by coming with their cousin (100% serious)...

We'll try again in the future, though "when" is up in the air.

We have similar feelings re: CSS, it seemed like it was no longer a place for couples, but rather very large groups trying to recreate spring break. We will return next year, however, it may be time to move on after that.

Ya large groups would worry me...but if they have been the norm over the last few years I failed to recognize them, except for a very large wedding group that decended on the property for one day. That I really could have done without.
    Last edited by Gatekeeper; December 9th, 2015 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriemon View Post
    May I ask what motivated this post?
    Look at his past posts. When I saw his "handle" I just rolled my eyes and thought to myself "not again". He thinks of himself as a CSA ombudsman be he comes across more like an Eeyor.

"Grouples" You nailed it. I was hoping that maybe things had improved since our last visit (our 5th one to CSA) was really ruined by several large wedding groups. No romance to be found when you have people screaming and drunk morning to night.... tables of 20 more at dinner. Plus, we actually had staff ASK us for tips! Unheard of! I complained to management but it doesn't seem like anything has changed. Really unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    We needed a break. After 11 times around in as many years, the shift to the Grouples scene, singles proud of the fact they got one over on the booking by coming with their cousin (100% serious)...

We'll try again in the future, though "when" is up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    Look at his past posts. When I saw his "handle" I just rolled my eyes and thought to myself "not again". He thinks of himself as a CSA ombudsman be he comes across more like an Eeyor.
    You may roll your eyes over the original poster, but you won't say that about my prior posts. I have been a big time cheerleader for Couples and have been to all four resorts. But this time there was definitely a difference at CSA...and it wasn't only us. We spoke with several other long time repeaters, one of whom is a close friend of the owner. They noticed the same thing. We just left the resort yesterday so our experience is fresh, plus we did a split visit with CSS. The differences between the two were gaping. I actually had started my own thread, but decided to abandon it because of what my mother taught me....

So we are not down on Couples, only how CSA is currently being operated. We will not abandon one of our very favorite vacation spots and we will not stop recommending it to others. But since there are three others Couples resorts, each with a special flavor of their own, we might give CSA a short break to fix its shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by lvmcgill View Post
    " Plus, we actually had staff ASK us for tips!
    Yeah... calling BS on that. As all employees are identified with a name badge, I find it extremely hard to believe one would risk their job "asking" for your tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    Yeah... calling BS on that. As all employees are identified with a name badge, I find it extremely hard to believe one would risk their job "asking" for your tips.
    Don't be so sure.

Not every employee is the seasoned professional type that we all know and love.

I really hope people are taking the time to write down their complaints on the departure survey when they are checking out. Management is supposed to review each survey. Maybe this may help more than complaining on this forum. I think Carrie and Michelle are the only people from Couples that review this forum and Carrie mostly looks at her section. But the surveys may be seen by Couples Management.
    Jack and Kathy

CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016
    CTI 2012, 2014
    ??? 2018

Yes we did and followed up but never heard from management.
    Vicky

Same.

We take the survey home to really think over our stay and we go so far as to type up a summary letter detailing the good and bad. We even leave our email address and let them know that if they need further information or more details to contact us, and after many years we have never heard from management.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post
    I really hope people are taking the time to write down their complaints on the departure survey when they are checking out. Management is supposed to review each survey. Maybe this may help more than complaining on this forum. I think Carrie and Michelle are the only people from Couples that review this forum and Carrie mostly looks at her section. But the surveys may be seen by Couples Management.
    We did too.

Blog Entries

Hi Mad Jack,

Please be assured that feedback received from users of this board are shared with the resorts Management whether good or bad. We are very appreciative of all the feedback received from you all as we continue to improve the product.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleG 'Island Girl' View Post
    Hi Mad Jack,

Please be assured that feedback received from users of this board are shared with the resorts Management whether good or bad. We are very appreciative of all the feedback received from you all as we continue to improve the product.
    Michelle,

Happy to know management is informed about posts like these. Makes me feel better about posting here.

Thanks
    Jack and Kathy

CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016
    CTI 2012, 2014
    ??? 2018

I've read here and on a couple other places about the no-tipping policy slipping away. I was just at CSA two weeks ago. Never tipped anyone on property (other than the airport transfer driver and the masseuse), never saw anyone else tip, never felt like any of the employees were angling for a tip, and never felt like we weren't getting good service because we didn't tip. Maybe I'm just not that perceptive?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast