Default Free Couples Shuttle Transfer vs Private Taxi

For our return visit to CSA in December, I'm contemplating arranging for a private taxi to take us to Negril rather than getting on the Shuttle provided by Couples for a couple of reasons:

1) No waiting around for other guests to arrive.
    2) If we want to stop halfway for a beer and/or bathroom break we won't upset other guests who may want to drive non-stop to the resort.
    3) Considering a one way taxi is $70 for 4 people ($35 per couple) . When you factor in the tips for the driver and baggage handlers, the bill comes to approx $25 per couple.

So for only $10 more, it seems worth it for the private ride.....or am I missing something?

We rather enjoy the ride, sometimes chatting with newbies. Twenty for the driver and a couple bucks for the porter works for us. The bathroom break is usually very brief so it shouldn't be a big deal, maybe 5 minutes. I'll stick with the couples bus.

you do have some valid points as far as the dollars and cents. We have never waited more then 15 minutes for the shuttle. It will take you that long to come to an agreement on a price with the taxi. He will still want a tip.

im with softail19- I spend most of my life rushing around, Couples is about slowing down and going with the flow. In our 2 previous trips, i dont feel like we've been delayed at all by taking the shuttle, and you get to spend some quality time on the shuttle with people who have come to love the Couples experince like we do----or they are about to if it is their 1st trip. 66 days, mike

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridgeata View Post
    you do have some valid points as far as the dollars and cents. We have never waited more then 15 minutes for the shuttle. It will take you that long to come to an agreement on a price with the taxi. He will still want a tip.
    There are plenty of taxi services that you can arrange a ride with ahead of your arrival and get the advertised rate (their websites list their rates). One popular and reputable company offers a private ride from the airport to Negril for $70 for up to 4 passengers.

IMO, it's worth the extra $10 person to have that driver waiting and as soon as you clear customs...off you go.

Anyways, we plan to give it a try on our next trip.

We use a private shuttle getting to CSS. We use the same driver each trip who we know and trust. After being treated like cattle by the airlines, its nice to have a more personal experience where you actually get to call the shots. No worrying about if you will, or won't be making a stop for a beer. Sometimes we stop twice, sometimes not at all. We also use the time to catch up with the driver, and discuss what excursions we'll take with him. While its not a sure thing, a private transfer allows the chance you'll arrive at the resort before, or well after the last shuttle so check-in goes quicker.

S/F
    Scott and June

"3) Considering a one way taxi is $70 for 4 people ($35 per couple) . When you factor in the tips for the driver and baggage handlers, the bill comes to approx $25 per couple.

So for only $10 more, it seems worth it for the private ride.....or am I missing something?"

I am not getting your math. Are you one or two couples ?
    Private transfer to Negril is $90, regardless if it is one or 2 couples. The $70 is for a shared transfer, and a shared transfer could be more then one additional couple. I personally would not consider a shared transfer because, I have had some bad experiences sharing a taxi with people I do not know.

As someone else mentioned, you MUST tip the person driving you, regardless if it is the private transfer or the Couples transfer. Also, baggage handlers will insist on caring your luggage to the private or Couples transfer, so tipping will happen regardless of the route.

Also, if you are concerned about people on your Couple's transfer not wanting to stop , if you want to stop, they will stop. They will only go without if the entire group does not want to stop.

As mentioned by Mike, the second I enter the Couples lounge, I slow down, and enter Jamaican time. I too have enjoyed the shuttle, and maybe paying $ 70-90 , for one or two couples imo is not worth it.

Trust me about the tipping. You will be tipping approximately the same amount regardless of the route.

I can't believe that a private ride is cheaper/faster/more pleasant than the private plane. I'd do with either international air link or Timair.

We love the private transfer. It's our vacation, not a group's vacation, and we need that stop at Yow's or Scotchies when inbound. We usually take the bus back, though.

Quote Originally Posted by schwieso View Post
    "3) Considering a one way taxi is $70 for 4 people ($35 per couple) . When you factor in the tips for the driver and baggage handlers, the bill comes to approx $25 per couple.

So for only $10 more, it seems worth it for the private ride.....or am I missing something?"

I am not getting your math. Are you one or two couples ?
    Private transfer to Negril is $90, regardless if it is one or 2 couples. The $70 is for a shared transfer, and a shared transfer could be more then one additional couple. I personally would not consider a shared transfer because, I have had some bad experiences sharing a taxi with people I do not know.

As someone else mentioned, you MUST tip the person driving you, regardless if it is the private transfer or the Couples transfer. Also, baggage handlers will insist on caring your luggage to the private or Couples transfer, so tipping will happen regardless of the route.

Also, if you are concerned about people on your Couple's transfer not wanting to stop , if you want to stop, they will stop. They will only go without if the entire group does not want to stop.

As mentioned by Mike, the second I enter the Couples lounge, I slow down, and enter Jamaican time. I too have enjoyed the shuttle, and maybe paying $ 70-90 , for one or two couples imo is not worth it.

Trust me about the tipping. You will be tipping approximately the same amount regardless of the route.
    I should have been more clear..we will be traveling with another couple. So, yes, the $70 rate is for 4 people.

On our trip to css in 09, we were the only ones going there at thst time and had a private ride. Nice but the more the merrier I always say.

On our first Couples trip we arranged for private transfer to CSS. We waited 45 minutes for our driver to show up and those taking the provided shuttle arrived way before us! The driver didn't say a word and the whole experience was uncomfortable. Never again!

On our last trip to CSS, we had to wait half an hour in the Couples lounge for a staff member to arrive, so we could give her a ride. We were the only couple , plus the staff member.

In four trips to Couples we have taken the bus and had a great time. I don't believe we have had to wait any longer than 10 minutes before we set off, just time to register and grab a beer! We were lucky to have an entertaining driver each time, pointing out places of interest and giving us an insight to Jamaican life. We stopped for beer/bathroom breaks on two occasions, and the other two times the passengers voted to head straight to the resort. Our time alone together is precious, but our personal preference is to take the bus and enjoy! We don't really see the point of paying for a transfer when a perfectly good one is available.

But why pay so much (anything) when the Couples transfer is included?!
    Ronda and Doug
    COR Dec. 2007
    CTI Dec. 2009, Dec. 2015
    CSS Dec. 2008, Dec. 2012, Dec. 2014
    CN Dec. 2011, Dec. 2013

I like the shuttle, it's fun, and I can't ever remember waiting in the lounge more than one or two red stripes o'clock to get on the road to our CSA destination.
    There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage ~Mark Twain

Default Dont waste your money

We arrived on Saturday, midday, which I assume is a peak time. A bus was just leaving but they said it was full. We waited about 10 minutes and they said lets go. Didn't even have time to finish my beer. Nice driver, pointing out sights, chatting with folks on the bus. Quick stop for beer and meat pie and off we went. I wouldn't waste my money on a taxi unless you are REALLY in a hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry and Maria View Post
    We arrived on Saturday, midday, which I assume is a peak time. A bus was just leaving but they said it was full. We waited about 10 minutes and they said lets go. Didn't even have time to finish my beer. Nice driver, pointing out sights, chatting with folks on the bus. Quick stop for beer and meat pie and off we went. I wouldn't waste my money on a taxi unless you are REALLY in a hurry
    It's not so much that we would be in a hurry. It's just that we don't want to be stuck on a bus with people we don't know who will "decide for us" when and where (and if) we will stop along the way.

We would like to stop, eat and visit somewhere that looks good to us and don't want to have to deal with inconveniencing other couples who want to go straight to the resort.

I've taken the Couples-provides shuttle before on a previous trip to CSA, so it's not like I don't know what I'll be missing. To me, the added $30 or so per couple is worth the piece of mind, IMO.

We always either fly to Negril or book private and will be doing private in 2 weeks when we head to Negril. We prefer not to wait, not to stop and just to relax and chat with our preferred driver.

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    It's not so much that we would be in a hurry. It's just that we don't want to be stuck on a bus with people we don't know who will "decide for us" when and where (and if) we will stop along the way.
    This...1000% this.

Sounds like you've answered your own question.