Default Yet another packing question

After reading countless threads on this message board, I think I am good with cutting down on my packing list, but I have a question about my fiance's packing list.

We are going to Couples for 9 days. He plans to go to the gym for all 9 days (and knowing him, he will). He tends to sweat, so under normal circumstances, does not re-wear clothing. As of now, he wants to bring something like 36 shirts with him for 9 days - 9 t-shirts for gym, 9 t-shirts for the beach, 9 undershirts to wear under his 9 polo shirts at dinner!

I can rationalize 9 gym t-shirts, and maybe I can convince him to wear the previous day's beach t-shirt to the gym the next day? In terms of polos, I know a lot of people say that their SO will only have the dress pants/polo on for an hour or 2 in the evening so they can be re-worn, but don't people tend to wear those clothes from dinner until the end of the night, so maybe 5-6 hours, not just an hour for dinner?

The selfish part of me was planning to take some room in his suitcase for some of the heavier items, like multiple bottles of sunblock, but he is going to get his luggage quite heavy on his own if he packs like this! When he saw the prices for laundry there, he did not want to do that. I am bringing travel woolite or detergent to wash stuff in the sink, but would that work well for gym clothing, plus, would it dry?

Anyone out there with a SO who sweats a lot and therefore can't/won't re-wear clothes? How does he pack?

Thank you!

Jen

I don't mind rinsing a swim suit but I'm not washing tshirts on vacation. We did the laundry service and its a great service. Worth the money imo. Things don't dry very well either.

Unlimited laundry (fluff and fold, not dry cleaning) costs $99 for the both of you. They do a great job.I can't imagine packing like that rather than having my laundry done. You also get to go home with a suitcase full of clean clothes. Alternately, he could bring 5 old shirts, wear those and throw them away, then buy four new shirts...

Definitely work-out in previous days beach shirt. That's what I have done everytime there.

I wore tropical button down short sleeve shirts at night as they are cooler, no t-shirt underneath. Hang them when you are done and the shirt from night one can be re-worn on night 5 and so on. We didn't really hang out at the nightclubs so were usually back in the room after dinner.

Nine days and thirty six shirts? Sounds good to me! Seriously, take advantage of the laundry service. I pack woolite for swimsuits, but I bring three tanks and 3 pairs of shorts for the gym, tops, for a total of 8 days at the gym. I don't work out the first or last day. I sweat like nobody's business. I refuse to do laundry or iron on vacation! Is he really going to want to wear double shirts while there? It's hot! The first time I went to Jamaica, I packed a months worth of clothes and shoes for a seven day trip. You guys are going to get there, and you will wear 1/4 of what you packed. However, we all must live and learn. Or, maybe he will use thirty six shirts and you will take out at least four pairs of shoes you thought you needed (but didn't) for the extra sunblock.
    There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage ~Mark Twain

I think he is way over packing, re wear beach shirts either on the beach or use them for the gym, understand the under shirts my hubby wears them so can re wear dress shirts. But if he must have a new shirts for each day pack the t- shirts and under shirts in the carry on. You can get alot in there if you roll them.

I honestly think that is way overdoing it. I sweat a lot as well, and you don't need the gym to sweat a lot in Jamaica. I wear todays workout shirt on the beach today and put on a clean one the next day. Evening shirts I will usually wear twice during the week. Really, he needs to rethink things a bit, double duty for some shirts is practical and common. Oh, and undershirts are definitely not needed at all. Leave them at home.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

I ware the button down Caribbean shirt to the beach that I wore the night before. I take it off as soon as I get to the pool or beach. Your skin will leak at night too. It often gets still and without a breeze the humidity is heavy. T shirts are very clingy there so I never take them.

My hubby takes button down tropical shirts and polo shirts. He wears a button down tropical to dinner then we wear again during the day. He does NOT wear a tshirt under his polo shirt when he wears a polo to dinner. I kind of do the same thing. Some of my less dressy sundresses I wear as a cover up during the day after I have worn it to dinner. For work out wear, I do take tank tops, enough for the the week. I do wear my shorts more than one. One of my friends jumps in the shower with her work out clothes on to wash them. Then hangs them to dry. I'm not there, yet. We stay at CTI and get plenty of breeze to dry towels and swim suits on the balcony. There are towel bars on the side to hang things, so nothing is hanging from balconies.
    Vicky

happyjen- your post made me laugh out loud. I unpacked several of my husband's shirts before leaving for our trip last year! He didn't pack 36 of them, but still, I think it's funny when women can pack lighter than our significant others...

I don't think I've ever seen any men wearing a t-shirt under their polo shirts in Jamaica .... It's pretty warm in the evenings & my hubby is hot in just a single layer. If your fiancé feels he has to wear a t-shirt under his dressier shirt in the evening, couldn't he just wear that t-shirt the next morning for his workout or for his beach shirt with his swim trunks???? My husband takes a t-shirt for each day on the beach & to wear on the way home & a dress shirt for each evening .... If he chooses to wear a t-shirt in the evening (if he's not wearing a polo or button down shirt for dinner like on the beach party night), he wears that shirt the next day with his swim trunks. I wouldn't try to wash them yourself because that would be a mess in shallow sink like they have at CN & they'd be wrinkled looking ..... I'd say, have them laundered instead of packing too much .... It's going to be cheaper than paying for checking an extra bag or for having one overweight.
    Julie

Is this a holiday beach resort or a health club we are going to in a few weeks? - I plan on taking time off from my local gym and whilst on holiday in that heat and humidity the only things on the agenda are getting a brilliant suntan, relaxing and doing absolutely nothing but eat and drink as much as i want and probably coming back home around 14+ lbs heavier but so what as I have the rest of the year to lose it again and the plus side I will have a total of around 10 (evening and day) shirts in my suitcase which will leave a lot of room for her indoors to fill with 20 pairs of shoes just in case she needs a pair to match her outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc7236 View Post
    Unlimited laundry (fluff and fold, not dry cleaning) costs $99 for the both of you. They do a great job.I can't imagine packing like that rather than having my laundry done. You also get to go home with a suitcase full of clean clothes. Alternately, he could bring 5 old shirts, wear those and throw them away, then buy four new shirts...
    Hi,

Is this an absolute price, or just a good guess as to what it would cost to do everything you pack once?

I have been trying to seek out laundry prices lately and it seems everyone is paying by the shirt. This sounds more like the way to go. So, I am just wondering if it is a special week (or trip) long price?

Any details are very appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Hi,

Is this an absolute price, or just a good guess as to what it would cost to do everything you pack once?

I have been trying to seek out laundry prices lately and it seems everyone is paying by the shirt. This sounds more like the way to go. So, I am just wondering if it is a special week (or trip) long price?

Any details are very appreciated.

Thanks.
    It was the absolute, unlimited price for a seven day stay at CSS in December 2012. Not sure how it would work for a longer stay, but the resort tends to be reasonable. Our next trip will be 13 nights and I'll gladly pay $99 x 2 for laundry service, well worth it.

S/F
    Scott and June

Quote Originally Posted by usmc7236 View Post
    It was the absolute, unlimited price for a seven day stay at CSS in December 2012. Not sure how it would work for a longer stay, but the resort tends to be reasonable. Our next trip will be 13 nights and I'll gladly pay $99 x 2 for laundry service, well worth it.

S/F
    Scott and June
    Wow, amazing. I would gladly figure that cost into a trip! The idea of packing for about 3 or so days and staying 9-ish days, and having clean clothes for every day just seems so completely worth it. I will definitely have to ask before we pack if this is still going on, but thank you so much for your reply! Wonderful idea.