Default Similar to the "books" thread, I need suggestions.

We are going back in June. In the mean time, it's snowing in the Midwest and I need to take my depressed mind elsewhere. What are good Carribean reads (fiction or non) that will get me in the proper mindset? Thanks.

Read "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" - most of it is set in Negril! It isn't anywhere near a literary masterpiece, but it did put me right into Jamaica reading it (watch the movie too!).

An older book by Wouk - "Don't Stop the Carnival". It's hilarious about someone living their dream by buying a resort in paradise and finding out it can be closer to a nightmare!

Caribbean by James Michener. Older book; historical novel. You'll learn all about the Caribbean.

Just finished "Walk Good" Travels to Negril by Roland Reimer.

Great idea, I can't wait to see what titles are suggested!
    Becky and Bud, VA, USA
    CTI 6/30 - 7/5/2011
    CTI 7/2 - 7/10/2013

I suggest The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson.

An Amazon reviewer describes it very well:

"Its a wonderful story about a teenage girl, Ida, on the island of Jamaica and her crush on film star Errol Flynn who befriends her Father and sets up residence on the island. Flynn takes a shine to Ida and seduces her and she then finds herself pregnant by him at the age of 16. The story then follows both Ida and her daughter, May, through the next 30 years including civil unrest and shocking violence on their beloved sushine island."
    Last edited by Dawn; April 15th, 2013 at 06:33 PM.

I have read "Walk Good" and Don't Stop the Carnival" both good! I also like Hemingway's "Islands in the Stream" I also enjoy reading the pirate books, Have fun!

I suggest Fifty Shades of Grey.... although may make you stay in the room and never get to the beach..

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll start with Herman Wouk (been thinking of that one for a while) and then move on to the other suggestions.