Hybrid View

Default Live From CSA; Repeaters Review

There have been some changes since our last visit 6 months ago (October). Most of them for the good. Red Stripe is in the mini bars and even better, Red Stripe Light upon request. My husband is on cloud 9 having his Red Stripe Light in a bottle. The grounds are finally being kept up again. The last 3 trips they had stopped grooming the beach and the grounds in the morning. The beach was a disgusting mess every morning. Not anymore. They have the tractor out raking the beach and the sand areas around the rooms. Those guys work so hard so please let them know what a great job they are doing and how much they are appreciated. Some of the rooms have nice new iPod stations. Thank you Couples.
    A few new food items at Sea Grapes and the Gill that are very good. Love the new fish tacos at Sea Grapes, I could eat those every day. The new tuna melt and onion rings at the Grill are also awesome. Feathers was great. Same items on the menu though as the last couple times we were here. Same issue with Patois, same exact items. Lemon Grass was good and it was refreshing to see they had a special , amazing lamb chops. It was a nice change. I hope they keep doing a nightly special. I keep saying I would like to see their menu updated though too. We haven't ate dinner at the Palms yet, but their lunches have been disappointing. For new comers the menu changes don't make a difference but Couples has so many repeaters that it would be nice to see more menu changes. It was so exciting just to see these few menu changes, we are hoping to see more. There are two ice cream machines now too... But they have both been broken since we got here.. .
    The staff has been amazing! I mean AMAZING!! I cannot talk about them enough. A few shout outs to some them that really are a big reason we come back as often as we do: Rachel who is working Feather this time, I can't believe she is not a manager yet. She is just so nice and so professional. I would hire her in my business in a heartbeat.
    Patricia from the Palms... So sweet and hard working, always with a smile. Remington, he is a trip. Great guy and I think my husband would be lost if he wasnt here to take care of us when we arrived.
    It's always nice to see Kurt's smiling face along with Kevern, both are always willing to do what they can to make the guest happy. Great guys!

One change we would LOVE to see is more house wine options. The wine is disturbingly bad with only one kind of white and one kind of red. I guess it works for the resort because it causes couples like us to buy a bottle of wine with dinner almost nightly. But it would be nice to have more options, even if it was just at the martini bar and maybe Feathers and Lemongrass. I'd be at least happy with that.
    That's all for now, I'll post another review at the end of the trip with more info.

Couples Ocho Rios 2005/2006
    CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Hi Yookster - I loved the tuna melt at the Cabana Grill, too! They did a nice job revamping that menu from last year. I thought that Feathers had some fairly decent house wines when we were there in February - definitely a step up from The Palms. My assumption is that it is just too cost prohibitive to expand/improve the house wine list. The import fees must be a killer. I know there are a ton of very good wines that you can get in the U.S. for under $15 a bottle (we enjoy finding the least expensive wine with the highest Wine Spectactor rating at our local liquor store).

Ya, we assumed it was expensive to bring in good wine to serve to everyone nightly. It's ok, we just use our resort credit for the good wine when we want it. I don't remember seeing the BBQ spare ribs on the Lemongrass menu before either. We ordered them spicy sweet and sour and they were absolutely delicious. Will order them again for sure. A few other stad out food items we hope to see again... The baked coconut and almost French toast, not the same as the normal daily French toast. It was AMAZING! And the coconut tapioca pudding they had at lunch at the palms.... Wow... SOOO YUMMY!
    Thanks for the info on the house wines at Feathers. I just assumed it was the same as the other restaurants. We have reearvations for Saturday so we will check it out.
    Another quick note, we did not know the Grill is not open from 11am to
    5am like it used to be, probably cause we dont eat there a lot, but it still shows those times in the books in the rooms. Something they should probably update cause we went to have dinner there the other night and it was closed, so we had a little change of plans.

CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

I thought they closed The Grill while dinner was on at Patois and then re-opened at 11PM????

Yes, I believe that's the way it is. But I wasnt always like that. I never used to close during those hours. And because we don't eat there a lot we weren't aware that it changed or even when it changed because the information books in the room still show the old hours.

CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Default Thanks for the Update, Guys

I know we were all a little concerned after the trip last November, especially with you guys having a special trip planned for this November. Great relief to see the situation we experienced was due to external factors and nothing else.

We have just realized that our fall thrip is from 26th October until 13 November, so we will be there for almost 3 weeks next time.

You guys have a fabulous time, remember us to all the staff (suggest they might want to book their vacations about the time we will be there! LOL!).

See you in October! Ian and Lesley