Hybrid View

Default First timers to CSA - need some suggestions!

My fiance and I will be honeymooning at CSA the week of May 6th. Any suggestions for first timers?

Thanks!

Leave your watch at home.
    Don't set any alarms.
    Eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thristy, sleep when you're tired, wake when you're refreshed.
    Try everything at the buffetts.
    Try the daily drink specials.
    Sit on the beach.
    Sit at the swim-up bar.
    Bring slacks for the nice restaraunt.
    Nap on the beach.
    Hold hands all week.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. You'll have a great time at CSA. If you're like us, the only thing you won't like is having to leave!

A couple things I would suggest (in addition to what Beer_Suds said) -

Take the resort orientation/tour. It makes things much easier to find later.
    Make you dinner reservations (Lemongrass and Feathers) early on - the same goes for other activities (i.e. Catamaran Cruise, etc), as these can get full quickly.
    Try every restaurant at least once. You'll definitely find your favorite places.
    The message boards here are a great resource - you can find a lot of excellent advice.

http://couples.com/mb/couples-main-m...ht-thread-354/
    has a lot of great information.

Most importantly, relax and have fun!
    CN 2011, CSA 2012, CSA 2013 (although not soon enough!)

Ditto to GoCubs and BeerSuds and CONGRATS! However - I disagree with the watch thing. I make sure to wear a water resistant watch during the day because if you do plan activities, it's nice to have the time because the "sand gravity" can you make you forget everything. LOL Hope to see you - we'll be there the same week! You can find our pic in the May 2013 thread in CSA meetup.

Congrats LindsayS!!! We will be there the same time--we arrive on the 8th and are also 1st timers! Perhaps we can all meet for a drink as newlyweds Although we are getting married there--at Couples--on the beach at 4pm on the 11th...just the two of us...eeeks...very exciting!!!! Anyway, I think it's safe to say both previous responders hit the nail on the head. I've heard the Cat cruise is a must! Kayaking is another I've heard tell about. I read in another thread a couple that kayaked had a dolphin swim along with them! Speaking of Dolphin's, we are doing the Dolphin Swim...you should go with us. A shopping excursion into town I've heard is also a must. I also hear the Banana stuffed french toast from Patois Patio's is to die for. Aside from that, I can't wait to see what anyone else might have to say! Btw, we should be easy to find--we are ghostly white & will likely cause a horrible glare from our bodies reflecting the sun, as we are from Kansas...& this year winter just won't seem to end lol. Hope to meet you guys

I'm sure that you will get lots of folks telling you about all the wonderful things you can do and enjoy at CSA. Trust me there is plenty!! The following advice is aimed at helping you get the most enjoyment, relaxation, and great memories you can while in paradise. We went for our Honeymoon in 2006 and have been back every year since. Yep, it's that good.

Don't try to plan a bunch of excursions and set out to try to do everything. You'll be exhausted after your wedding, and its best just to chill out. there is plenty of time and opportunity to set up excursions once you're there if you feel like it. Over planning the honeymoon is the biggest mistake I think newlyweds make. I speak from experience.

Take a good attitude. The staff reflects what you give them. Give respect, graciousness and cheerfulness, and you'll get it right back, along with extraordinary service. Respect, basic decency, and manners are all a huge thing in Jamaica. Be rude, and you will be actively avoided. Read the reviews on other travel sites, and its not hard to see between the lines the differences between the good reviews and the bad reviews. The difference often comes down to the reviewer's own behavior and attitude. Be a good guest to your hosts.

Jamaicans don't have a huge invisible social wall between the guest and the staff that we seem to have in North America or Europe. The staff (and others) treats you like your'e a guest in their house. That makes them more friendly, more frank, and more likely to just chat enthusiastically with you. To the point, that initially, it can be a bit startling. Go with it. Its one of the reasons we all love the place. Re-read above statement about having a good attitude.

Island time is a very real thing. Accept it. Every single thing will take about ten minutes longer to happen than you think it possibly could. Accept it. Any effort to resist is futile. Sometimes resistance will actually make the situation go backwards, and take even longer. Accept it. It will make you happier. Trust. See above statement about having a good attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff542 View Post
    I'm sure that you will get lots of folks telling you about all the wonderful things you can do and enjoy at CSA. Trust me there is plenty!! The following advice is aimed at helping you get the most enjoyment, relaxation, and great memories you can while in paradise. We went for our Honeymoon in 2006 and have been back every year since. Yep, it's that good.

Don't try to plan a bunch of excursions and set out to try to do everything. You'll be exhausted after your wedding, and its best just to chill out. there is plenty of time and opportunity to set up excursions once you're there if you feel like it. Over planning the honeymoon is the biggest mistake I think newlyweds make. I speak from experience.

Take a good attitude. The staff reflects what you give them. Give respect, graciousness and cheerfulness, and you'll get it right back, along with extraordinary service. Respect, basic decency, and manners are all a huge thing in Jamaica. Be rude, and you will be actively avoided. Read the reviews on other travel sites, and its not hard to see between the lines the differences between the good reviews and the bad reviews. The difference often comes down to the reviewer's own behavior and attitude. Be a good guest to your hosts.

Jamaicans don't have a huge invisible social wall between the guest and the staff that we seem to have in North America or Europe. The staff (and others) treats you like your'e a guest in their house. That makes them more friendly, more frank, and more likely to just chat enthusiastically with you. To the point, that initially, it can be a bit startling. Go with it. Its one of the reasons we all love the place. Re-read above statement about having a good attitude.

Island time is a very real thing. Accept it. Every single thing will take about ten minutes longer to happen than you think it possibly could. Accept it. Any effort to resist is futile. Sometimes resistance will actually make the situation go backwards, and take even longer. Accept it. It will make you happier. Trust. See above statement about having a good attitude.
    Wow, well said Spiff! Maybe this should be the Code of Conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by LindsayS View Post
    My fiance and I will be honeymooning at CSA the week of May 6th. Any suggestions for first timers?

Thanks!
    See you on the 6th

Congrats to you!

We visited CSA this Dec/Jan. Here is our list:

-Enjoy the lounge at the airport, partake in some red stripe

-Enjoy the atmosphere and get another red stripe if the bus stops for a bathroom break on the way to the resort. Some people get really upset by this stop and refuse to buy a beer/pop/etc. They sit unhappily on the bus. We too are excited to arrive at the resort but enjoy the stop, getting another red stripe and saying hello to some Jamaicans. We enjoy giving them some business. If they stop in the same spot they did for us, the guy on the patio selling the jerk chicken will box it up to go for you. It was the most incredible jerk chicken we have ever had! This last trip some of the other travelers looked at us like we were crazy but admitted envy when they saw and smelled the chicken. We had stayed at another resort in negril once and had had this specific guy's chicken before. You can imagine our happiness when we exited the bus and realized it was the same place and chicken!

-Make your reservations (feathers, lemongrass, cat cruise) right after check in. Helps you get what you want and gets it out of the way.

-Check out the resort, get your bearings.

-Grab pre-dinner drinks or post dinner drinks at the martini bar.

-Try both the grill and seagrapes for lunch.

-Walk the beach gorgeous beach, buy souvenirs if you like. We found the resort vendors to be way overpriced.

-Swim into the cave on the cat cruise. If you are a photo junky, take a waterproof camera. Another couple had one and took a few great pics and sent to us. very kind of them! Now I must get one of those cameras.

-If you are driven to see some local culture and like to drink, consider the One Love Bus Bar Crawl. We loved this experience but I assume it wouldn't be for everyone. Some on the board here scolded me for paying for beer when I have paid for all inclusive at the resort but I love Jamaica and enjoyed spending a couple hours and some hard earned cash in a few local establishments. We had an absolute ball.

-Absolutely attend the bonfire on Wednesday night. Very romantic! We loved the music and bought the CD. We love the CD and listen to it at home frequently.

-If you are one who loves to nap in the sun on your floatie in the swimming area, bring a short little rope to tie around the roped off area and the other end around your ankle. Keeps you from continuously floating into shore or into others.

-Although expensive, consider getting a few photos by the resort photographers. They do some nice sunset shots.

-Have a glass of champagne together while enjoying the sunset.

-Make sure you bring the proper attire for the dress codes, lots of sunscreen and some hats.

-Snuggle, love and embrace the romance... it is what makes a great trip a magical trip!

Don't forget to ask for a mosquito candle for the evenings. The hour drive to and from airport is exhausting
    After long day of travel. Splurge an extra $200 each way buy taking a small plane in.
    15 min flight. Start prepping your singing voices for piano bar and go to the newlywed game.