Hybrid View

Default Jellyfish at CSS in recent weeks?

Hi all, 11 days until we arrive at CSS for our honeymoon. I have a quick question for people who have just returned from their trip, etc-- how bad are the jellyfish right now? I know that it's tough to predict when they'll be there in abundance, so I was just wondering if anyone who's been to the area recently had any big encounters (I know that there'll always be some). I'm pretty severely allergic to many types of jellyfish (I'm also a reef ecologist, ironically, but am not too familiar with Jamaica), so I want to avoid having my trip ruined by massive, extremely painful welts :P I dive for work so I'm usually in a wet suit, gloves, etc which keeps me pretty well protected (still get the occasional sting to the face...no fun). However, we won't be diving on this trip, only snorkeling. I'll be bringing a rash guard and board shorts as well. Thanks!

We didn't see any jelly fish at all near the swimming area or out further when we did the glass bottom boat .

I didn't see a single jelly fish when we were there in mid-March.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

We were there April 6-13th and didn't see any.
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

We are always there in September and I've never heard of anyone getting stung by jellyfish. I know this is not near the time you're visiting but I would think I've seen a post about this before but I cannot remember ever seeing one.
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

We just returned from a week at CSS on 4/19. Swam in ocean and went on snorkeling trip and saw no jellyfish at all. Hopefully the same is true when you are there. We have been to Jamaica at the same time of year in prior trips and had to deal with small jelly fish.

We have not encountered any in April or May. I hope that applies to this May, as well, since we'll be there in 16 days!

we were just there March 7-16 for our weddingmoon. During our trip, we went into the swim area a couple times, went into the SSB swim area once, snorkeling twice, scuba diving once (sort of, couldn't get my ears to equalize, so i only got about halfway down and had to go back), and waterskiing (also sort of, spent more time IN the water than ON the water). We never saw any jellyfish at all. Only once during one of the snorkeling trips did one guest say they got stung by a jellyfish. They said they never SAW it, just felt the sting, so I am not sure if it really was a jellyfish or something else. And it was just a tiny little sting on their calf. No big welts. Enjoy your trip! We are counting down the days until our return trip in 2014.

359 days and counting until CN/CSS!!

We were there April 13-20 and didn't see any jellyfish at all.

Quote Originally Posted by scuba1030 View Post
    Hi all, 11 days until we arrive at CSS for our honeymoon. I have a quick question for people who have just returned from their trip, etc-- how bad are the jellyfish right now? I know that it's tough to predict when they'll be there in abundance, so I was just wondering if anyone who's been to the area recently had any big encounters (I know that there'll always be some). I'm pretty severely allergic to many types of jellyfish (I'm also a reef ecologist, ironically, but am not too familiar with Jamaica), so I want to avoid having my trip ruined by massive, extremely painful welts :P I dive for work so I'm usually in a wet suit, gloves, etc which keeps me pretty well protected (still get the occasional sting to the face...no fun). However, we won't be diving on this trip, only snorkeling. I'll be bringing a rash guard and board shorts as well. Thanks!

April22-29 and No jellies