Default MoBay to Negril - Yvonne's Fruit Stand (on the side of the road)

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of Yvonne and her road side fruit stand on the way over to Negril? If you take the Couples shuttle, probably not. We take a private transfer to CSA and have stopped by twice (2010 & 2011) when we travelled with Kenny Jamaica.

Long story short, we had to start using a different driver because Kenny stood us up (no show), but when we drove over with him we stopped at her stand and had fresh fruit each visit. She usually had some jerk pork or chicken cooking in the back which we were lucky enough to get a small taste of as well. We would alway bring her and her son some Lindt chocolate (Lindor Balls' as I manage Lindt's supply chain in Canada)

Last year we had a different driver and did not spot her stand on the way over. Kenny always stopped so we really did not know her exact spot. I think it's about half way over. Not sure if she fell on hard times and closed up her stand....

In any event, she's a beautiful, caring lady, just trying to make a buck at the side of the road. We really, really want to see her again, bring her and her son some treats and a few hugs.

This year we have Kingsley driving us over, so we will just keep a kean eye out for her, unless someone can post us and tell us where she is on the way over.

Yvonne is one of our Jamaican connections, which keeps Jamaica in the forefront of our minds as we battle a long Canadian winter.

If anyone has any info, we would really appreciate if you would reply back.

9 more sleeps until CSA!!

Bill & Mimi

I don't know of Yvonne at all, I'm afraid. However your post gave me the idea of having a private transfer with the intent of getting to stop along the way to the resort, a mini-tour so to speak. How do you find a reputable driver? And what is the approximate cost?

I hope you are able to track Yvonne down, she sounds lovely and that you have a nice connection with her.

Quote Originally Posted by MnK View Post
    I don't know of Yvonne at all, I'm afraid. However your post gave me the idea of having a private transfer with the intent of getting to stop along the way to the resort, a mini-tour so to speak. How do you find a reputable driver? And what is the approximate cost?

I hope you are able to track Yvonne down, she sounds lovely and that you have a nice connection with her.
    There are lots of great drivers out there. You can investigate through this message board or on TA. We found Kenny Jamaica this way and he was great until he didn't show up, which happened twice. He's a fun guy, but not reliable. He missed getting us last year on our way to Negril, so we had to just grab a driver from the airport. I forget his name, but he was nice and helpful, stopped when we wanted to stop, etc. We had know issues.

We like using small independent drivers as oppose to the biger tour companies, just trying to help the small guy out.

This year we are going with Kingsley. Did some reseach on him through TA, sent him and email, and we are all set. The cost (one way) is approximately $60.00 US. We take a private transfer becasue we start our vacation on the Cliffs at Tensing Pen, then we hit CSA and the beach after. We take the Couples shuttle on our way back to Sangsters.

Private transfers are really nice in my opinion, my wife and I love to have cold Red Stripe on the way over, and we get to stop when we feel like it. It just starts the trip off right, once your feet are planted firmly on Jamaican soil.

At some point I want to take the short plane ride over (Tim Air), but that's around $200.00 US one way, maybe some day.

Cheers!

Thanks so much!

We've taken TimAir once and it was wonderful!!! I highly recommend it.

We were lucky enough to take Tim Air once many years ago when Couple's offered it as an option although I can't remember the details. It was amazing to see the country from the air and we would do it again but we save our money so we can stay an extra day at "home" instead. Everyone should try it at least once!

Quote Originally Posted by Cdnwhseguy View Post
    There are lots of great drivers out there. You can investigate through this message board or on TA. We found Kenny Jamaica this way and he was great until he didn't show up, which happened twice. He's a fun guy, but not reliable. He missed getting us last year on our way to Negril, so we had to just grab a driver from the airport. I forget his name, but he was nice and helpful, stopped when we wanted to stop, etc. We had know issues.

We like using small independent drivers as oppose to the biger tour companies, just trying to help the small guy out.

This year we are going with Kingsley. Did some reseach on him through TA, sent him and email, and we are all set. The cost (one way) is approximately $60.00 US. We take a private transfer becasue we start our vacation on the Cliffs at Tensing Pen, then we hit CSA and the beach after. We take the Couples shuttle on our way back to Sangsters.

Private transfers are really nice in my opinion, my wife and I love to have cold Red Stripe on the way over, and we get to stop when we feel like it. It just starts the trip off right, once your feet are planted firmly on Jamaican soil.

At some point I want to take the short plane ride over (Tim Air), but that's around $200.00 US one way, maybe some day.

Cheers!
    Hi! Is Kingsley a guy, or a travel service? I would be interested in that.

Hi Jenn,

Kingsley is a gentleman who operates a private taxi/transfer sevice called takecaretours. Just google that and you can check out his services and rates. This is our first ride with him, will give an update post after we land at the cliffs.

Irie

Update....found Yvonne, her fruit stand is right before the Palladium. We located her on our way over this year. All's well, had some fresh fruit, shares a few stories and a few hugs. Stop by if you have a few moments to see a nice, hard working, caring lady.

Irie

Quote Originally Posted by Cdnwhseguy View Post

Cheers!
    Funny. You are doing almost the exact trip I do... We also start at tensing, with our second week at CN this year.

We have found the private transfers to be a little more fun, there are many many options to get ahead of time with a bit of searching. I like the private transfer better than the bus load of people, but a lot of my reticence for the use of the big transfer comes from back when the road to negril was in bad shape.

Tim air used to be our favorite way to go to either end of the island. When staying at css or cti, it always seemed silly due to the long drive from the landing strip, but for CSA or CN, it was great as the strip is across the street. That said, I stopped taking Tim air a few trips back, because the planes literally looked worse and worse each time I flew. Just got to be too scary for me. Also since the road is relatively decent now, and we typically find our own way to the resorts, the trip is an enjoyable part of the entire vacation.