Default Need help!!! CN or CSA?

I know this topic has been brought up a million times, but I'm still undecided. I've just got a few questions.

1. Is the beach really that much better at CSA? It seems like they would be fairly similar since they are so close to each other.

2. I've read it's only a five minute walk apart...is that true?

3. Which would be better for a younger couple? Not looking for a frat party, obviously...but some people around our age (29) would be nice.

4. Does anyone have any pictures of the CSA Premier Suites/BF Suites, especially the bathroom? Are those bathrooms big/nice looking like the ones at CN? I like the photos of CSA rooms much more than CN (don't really care for the colors/wall hangings at CN), but the small/dated bathrooms I've seen at CSA aren't very appealing.

5. I know Couples isn't about "luxury", but does one have more of that feel than the other?

6. I've read that people are a lot more active at CN, and CSA is more of a lounge on the beach atmosphere...is that true?

7. I would like to come for our anniversary in late January, but I might opt for the cheaper April rates. Is there a big difference in the weather/crowd?

Ok...that's more than I thought it would be, sorry. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

We have only done a trading places to cn but trip #5 to csa is next April.
    1.the beach at csa is much longer while cn is deeper. I felt cramped on cns beach but it is pretty, not as pretty as csa though imo.
    2.It's a five minute drive to cn, you can't walk there from the beach.
    3.you will find all ages at any couples resort.
    4.The bathrooms for the bfvs are nothing fancy, just functional. I wouldn't base my decision on that. Personally I don't find it very important but everyone is different. I do my business and get to the beach!
    5.you are right , couples isn't luxurious but csa is so beautiful.6.the activities are pretty much the same at the resorts but csa has the better sports complex so I would say it leans towards csa. It really depends who's staying there.
    7. We used to go in Feb but now go in April to save money. Nice weather too. If you'd like a few pics of csa, email me at clemonssara40@gmail.com

I have never been to CN, but to CSA 3 times, and can answer a few of these, all my opinion and someone may disagree.

2. It is NOT a 5 minute walk, its longer than a 5 minute drive! Well, probably close to 5 minute drive

3. I have been told and read repeatedly that CSA has more of a nightlife, average age will vary week to week

5. Looking for luxury feel, don't go to either. Its not what the brand it about. Now, that being said, before I went i was thinking same thing. CSA taught me the vacation is not about the room, bathroom, glitz, etc (you know when you go, hard to explain)

7. When rates get cheaper, avg age drops (in my opinion and our little experience). We even thought avg age in april was higher than avg age of May. Come spring and summer you get a lot of honeymooners.

We went to CSA on our honeymoon, never having repeated resorts before, and have gone back every year since, with 4th trip booked in April.

I stayed at CN last year for first time. I did a trading spaces with CSA.

Summary:

CSA had a nicer, classier feel to it but it was spread out over a larger space. The food options looked nicer at CSA. The beach had more aggressive vendors approaching us at CSA where at CN the vendors respected the water lie boundary. CN seemed to have an older crowd that CSA. The gym facilities are nicer at CSA.

It is a 5 min drive from one place to another. (not walk)

The water at CN is somewhat calmer than CSA.

Either place is lovely. We were not sure about which location but CSA was sold out when we wished to visit. In the end we felt more suited to CN.

Hi Carribean!

Yes, the issue of choosing CN or CSA is common on the message board. That being the case we'll try to answer your questions:
    1. Is the beach really that much better at CSA? It seems like they would be fairly similar since they are so close to each other.
    There is no better...only different. Both have soft, white sand but CSA's beach is longer while CN's is deeper. Also, CN is in a cove so is protected making the water calmer.
    Not unless you're "The Flash". It's about a 5 minute ride in a vehicle.
    3. Which would be better for a younger couple? Not looking for a frat party, obviously...but some people around our age (29) would be nice.
    Good question...but one that's nearly impossible to answer. Both are great for the young, or young at heart. CSA does have a nice disco.
    4. Does anyone have any pictures of the CSA Premier Suites/BF Suites, especially the bathroom? Are those bathrooms big/nice looking like the ones at CN? I like the photos of CSA rooms much more than CN (don't really care for the colors/wall hangings at CN), but the small/dated bathrooms I've seen at CSA aren't very appealing.
    Here's a link to pics from our stay in a BF Premier Suite: Csa/Cn 2011 - a set on Flickr. We were happy with the bathroom.
    5. I know Couples isn't about "luxury", but does one have more of that feel than the other?
    Not really. They're both awesome in their own way.
    6. I've read that people are a lot more active at CN, and CSA is more of a lounge on the beach atmosphere...is that true?
    CN does a better job of promoting activities (i.e. beach volleyball) so yes, we've found that to be somewhat true. It all depends on the people through.
    7. I would like to come for our anniversary in late January, but I might opt for the cheaper April rates. Is there a big difference in the weather/crowd?
    We've always gone to Jamaica in April so can't speak for January. The weather is usally great (a quick shower here and there at worst) and it's never crowded.

Anyhow, now comes the fun of deciding which Couples Resort to stay at. We've been to all 4 in Jamaica and wouldn't turn down a trip to any of them. There is no best or worst...only different. Each is fabulous in its own way and so makes going to Couples great as the only thing we've found is there is no bad Couples Resort.

Enjoy!!!

I've done both. CSA for six years staying in garden, garden view and beachfront. It's nice with wonderful amenities. Last year we tried CN and fell in love again. I guess we just enjoyed the more compact resort; you literally have everything within very few steps. The beach is gorgeous with extremely calm waters and in all is a bit more peaceful and romantic in our opionion. There was much less cmpetition for prime loungers, etc. at both the beach and pool. Both resorts are gorgeous and you will be not only happy but ecstatic at either in my opinion.

I say CSA! We loved it! Can't wait to go back! I think we will do a split stay and try CN also! I am sure CSA will still be our fav! Just appeals to us more!

I wrote a review of my comparison a couple of years ago:

http://couples.com/mb/couples-main-m...arisons-14679/

Thanks for the input everybody! It really helps!

This review is getting a bit old, but you might find it useful...

CN vs. CSA Throwdown!

I'm biased because I've only stayed at CN (just returned from our 7th trip). We love CN and have visited CSA on a trading places once but only stayed about 1 1/2 hrs. so I can't honestly compare the two. CN just feels like home to us. We have no desire to go to CSA but others love it there. That being said - we met several couples this year that were doing a trading places from CSA to CN. Each couple said they were going to return to CN because it was "just a better fit". I think you can't go wrong with either resort. It's Couples and they do a great job.

We will be returning to CN next July for trip #8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife and I stayed at CSA back when it was just called Swept Away, and since have only been via Trading Places for the day. CSA is nice in very many ways, beautiful in fact. But when all is said and done we prefer CN. Here is why.

1) The beach at CSA is awesome, but no more beautiful than the beach at CN which as at least as nice from our perspective. The beach in front of CSA is definitely more active. By that I mean tons more foot traffic passing by, including a vast increase in vendors walking by. None of this is a problem, but it is just not as relaxing to us and not nearly as peaceful and quiet. For anyone who enjoys nude sunbathing CSA is not ideal beach you don't have that option like you do at CN.

The one area that I think CSA's beach is superior (and this can be a big thing for some folks!) is that there are more places to walk to along Long Bay than over on Bloody Bay. If you are looking to spend some $ outside your A-I package at Couples then you have way more nice choices at CSA. On our trading places day we walked to Cosmo's for beers and snacks, then later to Wild Parrot for lunch (awesome!), and hit one other place for a drink and a game of dominos. It was a really nice, but we did spend $100 that day for the two of us. But, we like getting off the resorts to visit with new and old Jamaican friends in various places. I miss this option when at CN.

We both prefer the spa and tennis facility at CSA, but don't love that they are across the street. This is by no means a big problem though.

Another winning aspect of CSA to us is the Piano bar. Lenworth is a master entertainer who cannot be matched in any piano bar. He was the bright spot of another resort we used to visit for many, many years and we were so happy that he landed at CSA. CN's piano bar is very nice, but there is no equal to an evening of "Ultimate" if you enjoy the piano bar in the evening.

The walking between the two resorts is already well covered here, but I would add that you should try to remember where you read that info and avoid that unreliable source in the future because whoever said that has poor info.

We did not notice a difference in ages groups or overall activity at the two resorts. I think this changes every single week depending upon who happens to be there that particular week.

As to the rooms. We kind of like the dark wood/plantation feel of the rooms at CSA, but we prefer the rooms at CN because they are brighter inside with a light tropical feel that we like.

We have visited Negril in both January and April and find them both delightful. The only months we tend to avoid are August, Sept, and Oct.

All the best-
    Roy

You want to look at the photos of the rooms and facilities at both resorts and see which one calls to you.

We did trading places with CN this year, after staying at CSA twice I much prefer CSA, just the space alone is a deal breaker for me. As we all know, there's always gonna be that idiot loud bunch at any resort, at CSA I think it would be easier to escape from then CN. I also didn't like the room buildings at CN, they lacked character, kinda of looked like motels to me but I'm not sure what the inside looks like never been in one. Beach was much smaller, pool bar is nicer then CSA but CN only has one pool CSA has two so I guess that balances it out.

Quote Originally Posted by goodspkr View Post
    You want to look at the photos of the rooms and facilities at both resorts and see which one calls to you.
    That's what we did. CSA called!

42 days....

Hi,

We have been to CN multiple times, CSA once and CTI 3 times. Our favorite is CN followed by CSA. Both are great so you can't go wrong. As others have said the water is calmer at CN which makes the difference for us and we love the compact resort feel that it has as well. I did feel the crowd may be a bit younger at CSA but you will always find all ages at both resorts. We always go in late April or early May and that is our favorite time to go. We also been during other months but we felt the best weather is late April early May. Enjoy!

So, we've been to both; CN 03/2011, CSA 06/2013 and another Negril resort in 12/2011...so I'll add my 2 cents;

I like the beach better at CSA, my wife prefers CN. The beaches are very similar, CN is in Bloody Bay a two mile bay dominated by all-inclusive resorts and little else. I preferred the action on the beach at CSA and the fact that you can easily walk off resort and visit small bars, shops, restaurants and other resorts. Both beaches are pristine though!!
    Not at all true. If you chose one and want to visit the other for a day you can if you sign up for the romance rewards and do the trading places...highly recommend this.
    Either. The other thing is time of year can dictate the type of crowd...May/June is wedding time lots of wedding party's which can change the dynamic of the resort, we couldn't get to the pool bar in June at CSA because an enormous wedding party pretty much took it over most days of our stay.
    No, sorry we stayed in an atrium suite at CSA and a Deluxe Beachfront at CN. The rooms at either resort will be simple, tastful and clean. We liked both, the room we had at CN felt brighter versus our atruim suite at CSA. However the verandas at CSA blow the balconies at CN away...Honestly you aren't in the room that much so who cares.
    Not really. The "Couples" chain is more about "romance" not "luxury".

This is probably a little true, it's a combination of the staff and resort geography that lends to this. CN is much smaller more intimate in size. We preferred this, the guest were more engaged with each other, we also found the staff to be more engaged with the guests at CN as well.
    We've been to Negril in March, December and June. Different experience each time. The weather is definately better in March and December (just a bit cooler and drier). But we enjoyed June as well, only a little bit of rain. We will likely plan our next trip in June it is cheaper, the weather is fairly reliable and the wedding crowds didn't seem to bother us too much.

Bottom line for us is that we liked our experience at both resorts very much! But probably prefer CN...it just fits us a little better. Both are great options and we would not hesitate to recommend or return to either resort.

Hope you enjoy which ever resort you choose!!!
    "Love is the only thing we have to share"

CN 3/2011
    CSA 6/2013

@inthesun,
    I just read your "throwdown" review and that should be required reading for anyone trying to choose between CN and CSA. While we didn't visit CSA prior to it's change, I agree 100% with your review, especially agree with your comments regarding entertainment...if there is one thing we do not care for, it's the evening entertainment at both resorts; LISTEN UP COUPLES, we want more REGGAE!...way to squeeze a little "Eek-a-Mouse" reference in there
    "Love is the only thing we have to share"

CN 3/2011
    CSA 6/2013

Quote Originally Posted by hurraybeer View Post
    @inthesun,
    if there is one thing we do not care for, it's the evening entertainment at both resorts; LISTEN UP COUPLES, we want more REGGAE!...
    I TOTALLY agree - and we have not even been there yet If i want to hear cheezey american-style pop songs I'll tune in at home to the local "soft rock" station. In Jamaica I want to hear Reggae!

arrive 9/3...

1. The beach at CN is not as long a walk but there would be less traffic on it. If you come out of CN and turn left it would be a 5 minute walk to as far as you can go, if you turn right it would be about a 30 minute walk. The beaches are both lovely whichever you choose.
    2. No its a 5 minute drive.
    3. Both resorts are suitable for all ages.
    4. CN were having their bathrooms redesigned due to be finished by June 2014 (I think)
    5. I think Negril is classier.
    6. I think people at CSA party longer in the evenings, dont get me wrong a lot of people go to bed really early, the nightclub is never too packed.
    7. I go in March and the weather is just perfect, this year we had no rain at all in 14 days.
    You cant go wrong with either, do one this year then try another the following year.

We are just back from a last minute trip to CN which we booked when CSA was not available for our dates. It was our third stay at CN and we have stayed at CSA 8x. Our preference remains CSA for rooms, beach, sports complex, dining options, martini bar and grounds.

We had a very good visit to CN but CSA is our favorite AI resort in JA.

If having more of a nightlife option and access to the action that Long Bay Beach has to offer with all of the other small bars along the way is important to you, then I suggest CSA all the way. It's so much fun to walk down the beach and mingle with the locals. Not to mention that CSA doesn't have the same "hotel feel" that CN has. The rooms at CSA are grouped in more of a villa style with either 4 or 9 rooms to a bldg. The "old" side has 4 rooms to a bldg surrounded by lush vegetation and the extremely large balconies that will provide you with more privacy (if that's important to you). CSA is more spread out than CN is, so even if the resort is at 100% capacity, you would never know it.

IMO, the only thing CN has over CSA is the pool and the A/N option. And for me, personally, I don't spend all that money and travel all that way to sit in a pool when one of the best beaches in the world is right in front of me.