Default Anyone travel with atrial fibrillation?

I am new to having A-Fib and I will speak earnestly with my cardiologist before our upcoming trip but given the lack of medical care options in Jamaica I am wonder if anyone else travels to Jamaica with A-Fib? Advice from anyone who has A-Fib?
    Thanks!

I do not have A-Fib, but I do have a pacemaker and I have some of the symptoms of A-Fib because of the diagnoses I do have. My upcoming Jamaica trip will be my first there, but I have been to Mexico. I haven't had any problems, and really I didn't even think about while I was there. I was pretty nervous when I flew for the first time after getting the pacemaker, but I didn't even notice that to be an issue at all. I have read on the message board that Couples has medical care at their resorts so that is reassuring. I would definitely talk to your cardiologist and get their advice, but my guess is that you won't have any problems.
    Stephanie

A fib is more common than you think, most people who have it really don't know it until the have an MI or palpatations, unless you had an episode of uncontrolled A fib or been cardioverted (and you would have known it) I would not even worry. Have a great holiday and relax!

Everything is Irie in Jamacia

ps it wouldnt hurt to have travel insurance they wil pay for medical air evac if needed!

Default Anyone travel with atrial fibrillation

Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    I am new to having A-Fib and I will speak earnestly with my cardiologist before our upcoming trip but given the lack of medical care options in Jamaica I am wonder if anyone else travels to Jamaica with A-Fib? Advice from anyone who has A-Fib?
    Thanks!
    I have been treated for A-fib for over 5 years and have been to Couples Resorts each year since then. I take several medications for this and have had no trouble. Just go and have a great time- the staff will take excellent care of you!

I was diagnosed with A-Fib 12 years ago and started having some serious PVCs in the last couple to go along with it. I've had many episodes over the years of my heart staying out of rhythm for 2-3 days. Been to Jamaica 4 times in the last 7 years. Going again at the end of July. Never been an issue. On a betablocker to control it. Don't know what it is but if I am having little flutters before I leave , after a day or two into the trip , they always tend to go away. Maybe it's the "no stress" of your daily routine or the change in diet or most likely a combination of things. Not really sure but once I get home they will usually start up again in about a month. Guess I'll just have to go back more often.
    Advice : Talk to your cardiologist before going if you have concerns. Don't forget your meds. Stay away from triggers like cokes and coffee (caffine). Eating to much can be a trigger for me. Hard one to regulate at Couples though. The food is so good. Go and relax. Be in the moment. You'll be fine. Try to forget you have A-Fib. I know this is easier said than done. BELIEVE ME, I KNOW. Especially in the beginning. But my grandmother has had it for seventy some years and still going at 90. That says something.

CSA Aug. 2011, July 2012, July 2013, July 2014
    CSS Aug. 2011, Aug. 2014

Let your doctor give you the best advice...

In retrospect, I know that I have been dealing with periods of A-Fib since my mid-30s. The doctor kept telling me I was fine (and giving me either Nexium or Xanax). I finally saw a cardiologist and was diagnosed with A-Fib (at about 45). Since then I have been exercising regularly, lost weight, eat a bit better...and take a bit of medication. It is totally under control, no issues (I ran 5 miles at lunch time today...and try to do that every day when I am at CN).

But check with your doctor.

Oh, and if you think you might want to do the introduction to scuba class while at Couples, have your doctor complete the medical form. You can find that here:

http://couples.com/_pdf/scuba-medical-questionnaire.pdf

I highly recommend the introduction to scuba class. Between the class and the dive it takes about 4 hours, but it is really, really cool.

Thanks folks! I have been visiting Negril since the late 80's and have never been a fan of the options for local medical care for anything other than minor needs. Sav La Mar is the closest in Negril and it VERY limited. The Cornwall Hostpital in MoBay is not where I want to be if something serious happens. I gennerally keep the phone number of Hope Medical (near MoBay) in my phone as I have come to think it might be the very best option if a need were to arise. There has been talk for years of an upgraded medical facility in Negril but I have not heard any updates as to if it has ever made it out of the planning stages. It would be a real nice additon to the Negril area. I appreciate the responses!
    All the best -
    Roy

Every patient I had this week had A Fib, it's every common. Bring your meds and a prescription if for some reason on goes missing (tuck this into your passports so it won't get lost). There is a nurse on duty and they have access to a Dr. I'm sure they would have an AED on the property if an emergency would ever arise, but again I wouldn't worry.

Medical insurance is a must but you may not qualify for coverage if your condition has not been stable for certain period of time (usually 6 months prior to departure). If you condition is unstable and you're finding you need medical care often while I home I would suggest postponing until you are stable as medical care without coverage is incredibly costly. Also when our hints medical insurance check to make sure you get one that doesn't require you to foot the bill upfront and then they reimburse you. I've seen this happen so often to patients and its something you don't need to deal with in an emergency not to mention if you don't have the available funds. Additionally, you also want to ensure that in the event of an emergency and you and your spouse to be taken out by air ambulance that they take you to the closest major centre (likely Miami) and not fly you back to your home country for treatment. I've seen many critically I'll patients with issues such as AAA's being flown from the Caribbean home to their home province in Canada instead of being taken to the nearest major centre in the US. It's occurs more often than you think. We live by a cruise ship port so we tend to see the "when vacations go wrong" cases, and it's not fun. When your on the plane get up and walk, flex your calf muscles often (everyone should do this if you're on a long flight).

If your doctor does confirm that your condition is stable then go ahead and travel! Don't live in fear there are many people out there with cardiac and other medical conditions that still travel. Just go prepared with insurance, extra prescriptions, and all of your meds in your CARRY ON LUGGAGE! Because its a new diagnosis you may want to pass on the Scuba or strenuous activities that may increase your symptoms, the environmental conditions aren't the same as you may be use to and these activities may be more challenging for you.