Default Limited mobility - CTI or CSS?

We are trying to decide between CTI or CSS and wonder if anyone can offer advice/opinions?

I have a bad knee (OA) which while it doesn't limit what I do (except very deep steps/stairs) it does cause me pain if I do lots of stairs/slopes.

We are keen to use the AN facilities at whichever hotel we book - is the boat to TI easy to access or is it a very big step up/down? Would hate to get there and not be able to use the island!

I know CSS is built more on the hillside and therefore there are more steps but will most things (pool, beach, restaurants and room) be on the same level?

Thanks for your thoughts

Hi, CSS does have lots of steps; however, if you stayed in a beachfront suite in Block A on the first floor you would be very close to SSB. You would also be close to Palazzina, main pool, beach bar, beach grill/bella vista and the main beach. You can call the front desk for a van to get you to the top of the resort to dine at Casanova or go to the Lobby. You could also call both resorts to discuss your concerns. No matter which resort you choose, I hope you have a great trip!

Having been to both, I would suggest CSS and get your TA to request a ground floor room in Block A or B (these are One Bedroom Beachfront Suites) giving the reason. They wont guarantee the ground floor, but you stand a good chance. The beach, main pool and two of the restaurants are on this level. For the other restaurant, Casanova, you can ask them to pick you up and take you by buggy. If you are interested in AN, it has the advantage that the AN beach is always available, at CTI the island can be closed if the sea is very choppy. Also, you have to go down steps at CTI to get to the beach. Just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Lass View Post
    We are trying to decide between CTI or CSS and wonder if anyone can offer advice/opinions?

I have a bad knee (OA) which while it doesn't limit what I do (except very deep steps/stairs) it does cause me pain if I do lots of stairs/slopes.

We are keen to use the AN facilities at whichever hotel we book - is the boat to TI easy to access or is it a very big step up/down? Would hate to get there and not be able to use the island!

I know CSS is built more on the hillside and therefore there are more steps but will most things (pool, beach, restaurants and room) be on the same level?

Thanks for your thoughts
    We have been to both and I would say you are probably better off at CTI.

CSS has many steps and the beaches, A and B blocks, sunset beach, Bella Vista and Pallazino are all on one level. So if you did decide to stay there you could get a building in A or B and have everything you need at least for the dayn time. Also the beach party and gala are all done in that area.
    However, the lobby, Cassanova, spa and ballon bar are on the "higher" levels, so you would need to use the steps if you wanted to access the evening entertainment or get a massage.

There is a van that will ride you up and down, but you need to call for it and I'm not 100% sure if runs all hours.

CTA is all one pretty much one level. I think there are a few steps down to the beach. There is an elevator to take you to the upper floor rooms.
    Tower Isle, the nude area, is pretty easy to walk but you will have to climb out of the boat. We took it but I don't remember how difficult it was to get into and out of, but I do think you need to climb down from the dock.

My husband has bad knees and trouble with deep steps. We were able to use the boat to the an island without problems. There was always someone there to help people in and out of the boats also.

CSS has lots of stairs, but the bellman will drive you up and down if needed. My first trip I went with a broken leg and I could go everywhere but the spa and mineral pool.

The most "friendly" resort for your knee would be CN, but you didn't ask about that one. The step into the boat is fairly large, but the steps at CSS could do you in although there is a bus to shuttle you if need be. The pool at CSS would be perfect for you as there is a very shallow end where you walk in and then can walk down the slope to the deeper end. If you get a beachfront suite, you will be on the same level as the beach and two restaurants, but most of the nightly entertainment is up a flight of stairs. At CTI there is a huge flight of stairs you have to go down to get to beach level. If I was to choose, I would pick CSS. You might have to use the shuttle, but the resort is incredible.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

With a bad knee I would not suggest going to CSS. There are too many steps to climb. I suggest going to CTI, they have very few steps and the resort is very compact

I've never been to CTI but I have been to CSS & it's a LOT of steps ..... I'm a dedicated daily walker on the treadmill using a steep incline (3 miles + a day) & also live on a street that has some steep hills that I walk regularly & I considered the stairs at CSS to be a pain in the behind to deal with. Yes - You can call & they will pick you up in a golf cart (?) or whatever but I personally wouldn't want to deal with that. CSS is BEAUTIFUL since it is on the cliff so has some great views but, in my opinion, it's NOT for anyone that has a problem dealing with stairs. They are stone steps, uneven, &, when we were there, wet from rain all the time with puddles setting on them. Like I said earlier, I haven't been to CTI so can't tell you what that is like so it might be totally fine but can say that CN or CSA would be more "user friendly" for anyone with a issue with stairs ..... & CN would probably be the best because it's a more compact resort so less walking .... Just request a room on the ground floor.
    Julie

There's a really good video on trip advisor, you will have to search through the CSS pics but it shows the walk from the beach to the lobby. There are many stairs but they aren't straight up there's little breaks if you will from what I saw in the picks. I have a vision problem and just recently injured my lower back pretty severely so because of this we opted for CTI. I just don't want to risk being in pain while on vacation the super long flights will be enough of a challenge.

For CTI you will need to step don into the boat, will the bobing up and down of the boat be challenging for you? Bring a knee brace with you or at least a tensor bandage just incase you need it.

Well thanks everyone - the You Tube suggestion was a particularly good idea! I managed on and off the boat to the Sandals island last year - might not be graceful but I managed! The no of stairs round CSS has put me off (I would never request a golf cart, I'd just do the steps and be in pain later!)

So we have booked CTI - got a great deal but now have 12 1/2 months to wait!!

CTI the island is the best and the boat is easy access CSS has lots of steps.

I was thinking about our visits to both CSS and CTI

yes, there are a lot of steps at CSS but if you get the 1 br beachfront suites and have a 1st floor room there will be virtually NO steps to navigate to (2) restaurants, the main pool, a/n beach

At CTI I do not think there is any way to get to the beach w/o going down at least 1 flight of steps, We were on the 1st floor of building 4 which was a great location but you had to go down steps to get to the beach and maybe up a few to get to the lobby via the pathways in the front of the building.

I agree w/ CSS. If you get the 1 bedroom beachfront suite... no steps to the beach, 2 restaurants, water sports hut, etc. Only thing you have to climb steps for is the lobby and Cassanova. And the spa and mineral pool but we didn't find it that hard and I have a back and knee injury.

Never been to CTI (just doesn't appeal to us) so can't answer on that one.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

Tower Isle. My husband also has a bad knee, and he was fine. Just be sure to get into Blocks 3, 4 or 5...which I understand are the only ones that have elevator access.

Well I was also having tremendous pain in my knee. This pain is called Beating Patellar Tendonitis. I went to doctors but they told me that its quite nominal pain and will get away after some time. I then started researching on this topic and get to know that such types of pain can be cured by wearing jumper's knee while doing any work. Kneading From ice may also help in getting relief from the pain !!!
    The ways of getting jumper's knee book for free !!

Oops
    Last edited by redinthehead; September 17th, 2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Hit post by mistake

My husband was 5 months out of a spinal fusion and has problems with his ankle and foot when we went to CTI. He did great there. Hardly any steps and there was an elevator so no worries about walking flights of steps. We did the trading places and spent the day at CSS. The steps were really difficult for him, just because there were so many of them. We took our time but it was still an issue. I would personally recommend CTI.

Try this again .... I have bone on bone walk with a cane and waiting to have knee replacement surgery in both knees. We went to CSS and stayed in building F and loved every second. You can get a ride up or down but the stairs aren't that bad, there short as in you don't have to lift you knee very high and there are lots of resting places on the way up. Plus your on vacation so no need to hurry. Only down side is your not running back to your room if you forgot something. We found that we would head down to the beach in the morning via ride then when it was time to make our way back up we would head up by the mineral pool for a break in the climb then take the elevator. If we had dinner on the lowest level shuttle down then on the way up stop for a drink at the ballon bar. Just under 300 days till we go back.

I will put my 2 cents worth in, as CSS is our fav. We know that the van can be down at the SSB and up to the nurses station (which is futher than the office area) in a matter of minutes. Someone (I won't say who) fell and busted his head, not very badly, but any time that a guest is hurt the van is called. The van can be called for numerous reasons, we have had friends that had too much fun at the swim-up bar that needed help back to their room. The van was there in a flash. We do stay in Bldg A on the bottom floor for the convenience, but some day I hope to talk him into a room on the rock! LOL

You won't regret your decision - CTI is amazing

I would say Tower Isle. But if you have your heart set on CSS, it is doable as others have said. Just get A or B block rooms and call in advance for help getting up to the top of the resort for Casanova and the Balloon Bar (the front desk will send a golf cart for the mobility impaired).

We love CSS. My hubby has bad knees (8 surgeries on his right and 2 on his left) and while somedays it would bother him we would take breaks and enjoy the views.