Default Does Anybody Register????

Hi all- I have a general travel question..we are going to be in Jamaica in May. We have never done this before, but has or does anybody else register their trip with the US Bureau of Consular Affairs through the Smart Traveler Program?

We have never done this the last two trips that we did, but I was wondering if anybody recommends it?

I have traveled to many different countries over the last 15 years and have never registered. Does not mean you shouldn't if it makes you feel better, only means I have not. I did visit our embassy in Venezuela, just thought at the time it might be a good idea.

I have registered in the past when I went to Europe and the first few times I went to Jamaica. The last few times we have gone to Jamaica I forgot. It becomes so much like going home, that you forget that you are really leaving the country!!

I register when we go to Jamaica and Europe. Never know what may happen and the Consulate needs to know you are there. Only takes a couple of minutes on their site.
    Mike & Martha

CSS 2010, 2013, 2014
    CTI 2011
    CN 2012

We have never registered for any trip anywhere. However, we do let our credit card company know that we are going out of the country so that they can keep track of our charges. That came about only after someone in a foreign country stole our number and charged over $3,500.00 US. If you tell your credit card company in advance they become very vigilant about your charges.

Never have done that before, however, I do register with my credit card company. I tell them EXACTLY where we are staying. Since we have had our identities stolen, we are very careful about that and never use our cards unless it would be for an emergency. I too, am curious if folks do that.

I also go to our credit card companies website & they have a place to register what dates you will be out of the country & where .... I never even knew there was a place you registered at about leaving the country so I've never done that.
    Julie

Thank you all! This was very helpful. We have never done it before, and I am very careful about leaving my itinerary with several friends and family so I think we are good. Still a little up in the air but who knows. Thank you all for your input.

You don't have to register any more. There are enough drones flying overhead that the government knows exactly where you are at all times.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I had never done it till I saw this post but I think it's a great idea - because you just never know when you would wish you had done it.

Quote Originally Posted by fawnridge View Post
    You don't have to register any more. There are enough drones flying overhead that the government knows exactly where you are at all times.
    Hahahaha! love this fawnridge! Thanks for the chuckle!

Never heard about registering. But at least our airline required out passport info and an emergency contact number (for someone who was NOT going on the trip with us).

Quote Originally Posted by popup40 View Post
    Never heard about registering. But at least our airline required out passport info and an emergency contact number (for someone who was NOT going on the trip with us).
    Our travel agent asked us to drop off our passports at some point so they can give the airlines our information and also a contact person for emergencies. Good suggestion about telling bank if you are going to use your cc.